Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Zealand charging experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My buddy Max in Duniden has recently taken delivery of his Model 3 and is muddling his way thru charging at home. Says he now has a 15 amp set up I believe.
Not getting the range he is expecting from his Shanghai version.

Any similar experiences with not getting expected as advertised range from other NZ Model 3 owners?

Shouldn't Max have a 32 amp set up? Is charging at less than 32 amps effecting his range? Weather is a factor? He says it recently snowed in Dunedin.
His Tesla is stored outdoors. Is his Tesla using power to keep the batteries warm and therefor reducing the charge?

Any ideas to pass on to him?

A 15-amp circuit, which equates to a 12-amp continuous load, is far from ideal. But it should work just fine since NZ is on a 230v standard. Just a bit slower than a higher amperage circuit would be. I have my Tesla Wall Charger connected to a 240v/20-amp circuit, which gives me 16 amps. I'd prefer something faster, but really it hasn't presented any difficulties.

Parking outside is also not the ideal, mostly because you have no ability to moderate temperature swings on either end. But, again, it's something I share. Not all of us have garages. The biggest challenge this has posed for me has been the added scheduling of avoiding charging during inclement weather. The charge port on Teslas is nominally "weatherproof," but my view is it can't be good to have the car plugged in during sustained weather, and so I try and avoid that. A fairly minor issue, really.

We'd need far more details on your pal's Model 3 range experience - starting with which specific model he has - to have any useful commentary on that.

A 15-amp circuit, which equates to a 12-amp continuous load, is far from ideal. But it should work just fine since NZ is on a 230v standard. Just a bit slower than a higher amperage circuit would be. I have my Tesla Wall Charger connected to a 240v/20-amp circuit, which gives me 16 amps. I'd prefer something faster, but really it hasn't presented any difficulties.

Parking outside is also not the ideal, mostly because you have no ability to moderate temperature swings on either end. But, again, it's something I share. Not all of us have garages. The biggest challenge this has posed for me has been the added scheduling of avoiding charging during inclement weather. The charge port on Teslas is nominally "weatherproof," but my view is it can't be good to have the car plugged in during sustained weather, and so I try and avoid that. A fairly minor issue, really.

We'd need far more details on your pal's Model 3 range experience - starting with which specific model he has - to have any useful commentary on that.
Thank you so much, I have passed on your response to "Max" in New Zealand.

You're quoting North American rules that I don't believe apply in NZ.
Roger that. No doubt NZ has its own electrical regulations. I was speaking more to the physics of electrical delivery, than regulation. "Continuous, sustained load" is going to behave the same everywhere in the world. I view that 80% usable as a physical property that NEC has simply observed and found appropriate... and so wrote down in their book.

To me, ignoring that 80% is far more about what "interesting" things might become part of your life experience, than it is about following some bureaucratic regulation.

Last edited:
His NZ wife does not like him conferring directly with Americans. Says we are "a little rough around the edges".
Once he's a member here and has the ability to post questions, he can "hang out" on the New Zealand subforum. Althought there's no guarantee that no Yanks are also watching and responding to that forum.

By the way, is San Jose on North Island or South Island?
???? My location is "San Jose, CA". That's CAlifornia; the same state where you appear to be.

I’ve had my M3P for a month now. I’m a daily super commuter between Auckland to Hamilton.

My Auckland -Hamilton round trip is 250km. Starting at 80% charge every morning, I’d get home with 21-25% charge remaining. This varies depending on the maddening northbound Auckland traffic and if i let my M3P race through the new Waikato Expressway.

I think that almost equates to the projected range of the M3P. It’s not truly close, but the Auckland-Hamilton goes through some inclines.

I’ve had my M3P for a month now. I’m a daily super commuter between Auckland to Hamilton.

My Auckland -Hamilton round trip is 250km. Starting at 80% charge every morning, I’d get home with 21-25% charge remaining. This varies depending on the maddening northbound Auckland traffic and if i let my M3P race through the new Waikato Expressway.

I think that almost equates to the projected range of the M3P. It’s not truly close, but the Auckland-Hamilton goes through some inclines.
Thanks, my buddy Max reports that traveling from Twizel back to Dunedin he ended up with a 16% remaining charge. I'm not familiar with the battery pack on the Shanghai version of the Model 3. I wonder if there is a difference in performance to the U.S. version and if cold weather is a factor?

Once he's a member here and has the ability to post questions, he can "hang out" on the New Zealand subforum. Althought there's no guarantee that no Yanks are also watching and responding to that forum.

???? My location is "San Jose, CA". That's CAlifornia; the same state where you appear to be.
Just "goofing". I don't think the Spanish or Portuguese explorers made it to New Zealand?

Dunedin to Twizel is 253Km and “A Better Route Planner” (ABRP) predicts that if he leaves Dunedin with 90% charge in a standard range Model 3 he will have 15% when he arrives. If that’s too close a call for him then the Omarama Supercharger is on his way and there’s a new Chargenet CCS2 charger in Twizel itself.
N.B. ABRP doesn’t have specific listing for a Shanghai V Fremont built Model 3 so that is likely based on the Fremont car’s specifications.
So if this is close to what he is experiencing than all good, if he is finding his car is falling short, it may be explained by the fact that we are coming out of winter in Australia New Zealand and the cold weather could be affecting his range.
He doesn’t need to be a member to just read posts on TMC so you can send him a link to this thread if he is interested.