Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newark, NJ to Palm Harbor, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1330 miles on our new Model S. On a weeklong road trip bringing her to Florida.
image.jpg

Looks like you had to go pretty far out of your way to access superchargers. But that should change soon.

Kinda playing Clark Griswold, Liberty Bell then cheesesteak at SAMs in Philly (daughter got to see a HS friend that moved away), Washington DC (took same pictures from when our girls were little), Asheville to see the Biltmore (but got rained out), Blue-ridge Parkway (was closed starting in Asheville), then denied charging at Tallulah Gorge campground after calling ahead and them saying it was ok, on to Atlanta to see Stone Mountain (high winds closed the gondola to the top). Oh well, Asheville has great craft beers and I got to see an old college buddy in ATL. Savannah (wife wanted to eat at Paula Deans), home on Thanksgiving day. Even with the misfortunes from Asheville - Atlanta this has been the best road trip ever! As a pilot, road trips normally consist of the drive to the airport. But even the mid-leg slow charging stops have been great, playing dominos and scrabble with the wife and two teenaged daughters... Not lost in their iPads or iPhones, it's just been awesome! Everyone gets their own day to pair their phone or use the internet radio and listen to "their" music :scared:, Long drive days are "eclectic days".

Newark, NJ - Residence Inn Elizabeth (no charging) drove to the science center ($7 parking, free charging) took ferry to Ellis Island, Liberty Island, Freedom Tower and back to a topped off MS. (2 nights)

Newark, Delaware - SC

Washington DC - Holiday Inn Capitol on C street $14/day garage parking and free charging (2 nights)

Glenn Allen, VA - SC

Burlington NC, - SC

Asheville - Hilton Biltmore has a J1772 charger right outside the door and lots of great places to eat/hydrate within walking distance. (1 night)

Atlanta - Hilton downtown didn't have a charger but a garage 1 block away also had j1772 chargers. (1 night)

Beaver Run campground, 60 miles outside of Savannah was EXTREMELY accommodating, rec room, ice cream for the girls, bath house... 50A/29mph charging. Ask for Shelly, 2 thumbs up.

Savannah - Inn at Ellis Square, great, hospitable southern hotel, stayed here many times. 1/2 block away is the Whitaker St parking garage $14/day including J1772 charging. (1 night)

Fernandina Bch Fl - gonna stop to get enough reserve miles to make it to the Port Orange supercharger, after that, home is well within range.

After leaving Savannah, I decided to experiment with the range. I did my best to keep the burn on the rated range line and see how close I could get (63mph seemed to do it for the conditions that day). Low and behold, by using Long Range Cruise and driving 25 additional minutes we saved a 50A stop and ~45mins and made it all the way to the super charger in Port Orange.

What about the Amtrak auto train?
We considered the auto train, but. That wouldn't have been as much fun as spending the week with my girls and actually driving the MS.:biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
Captain, Thanks for the post! This is very helpful. I am in NJ and would very much like to try the drive to FL but only have the MS60. Is it possible to make the same trip? Would you mind adding the miles between each stop to your post? If your charging <200miles between stops then I should be able to pull it off. Also, what is the least amount of days you think you need to pull this off with charge time factored in? Sounds like at least 3?

Captain:
Great trip and post.
You will always have fond memories of your first road trip in your MS, and the time you spend with your family.
Clark Griswald, eat your heart out.

Ditto on your recommendation of Beaver Run Campground: the hosts were very accommodating for my late arrival.

In keeping with my Clark Griswold, I spent the day hanging Christmas lights on the house, chasing blown fuses and burned out bulbs LOL

Here is the map I used to plan the trip.

As well as Teslawiki

Im not sure what kind of real life range you get in the 60. My aviation background proves that all the planning in the world becomes a mear guideline the minute you depart. Weather, winds, temps, traffic all effected speed/fuel/energy burn.

I found I was overly conservative on some legs, and not conservative enough on others. One pilot buddy of mine kept calling me and ribbing me about having to send my kids into WalMart for 9v batteries, all the while very tuned into the real life trip and Tesla performance :cool:.

As for the milage, here goes

Newark, NJ - Newark DE ~123 miles, no problem at all. I drove 70-75mph with a few grin enhancing bursts :biggrin:

Newark, DE - Washington DC ~100 miles, again, no problem. Charged at Holiday Inn's garage overnight @ 30A $0.00
If you are on a mission to keep going, the next SC is ~210 miles very doable.

Washington DC - Glenn Allen, NC ~110 miles, Panera bread right there makes this a perfect break.
You could continue south at this point but we made a jog to the west.

Glenn Allen - Burlington, NC ~200 miles SuperCharger with lots of restaurants/shops around to spend an hour charging.

Burlington, NC - Asheville, NC ~195 miles... Lots to do in Asheville while charging at the Hilton Biltmore @ 30amps $0.00 for parking or charging

Asheville NC - Atlanta GA ~200 miles, I planned/made a stop when I should have just continued to ATL. A HUGE Thank You to ColorChrome of ATL for having a 50A outlet on his building and putting it on Plugshare. Many of the factors I mentioned above led me to stop short and put a little juice in to make it to downtown. This is where I had my College/Navy/Delta buddy pick us up and go have dinner. More EV ribbing ensued from this instance. Continued to downtown, parked at Peachtree Center Parking Deck and charged overnight at 30A $0.00 for charging. Hilton 1 block away was $65/night with free breakfast (from the menu, not cold cereal).

Atlanta - Beaver Run RV park Metter, GA ~200 miles... great EV friendly RV park, $5 for ~2hrs and use of the rec room and bath house. She gave the girls ice cream and I gave her $10 (first time paying for any charging, and a bargain at many times the price).

Beaver Run - Savannah ~60miles... charged overnight at the Whitaker St garage @ 30A $0.00 for charging

Savannah - Port Orange ~230 miles... I planned a stop in Fernandina Bch but opted to experiment with "Long Range Cruise" and it worked, we made it to Port Orange with ~10 left and didn't have to make an intermediate stop. We played a game to see how many ICE cars would pass us more than once because they drove fast but had to stop for gas. We counted 2 cars that passed us 3 times on this one leg. Lots of big trucks/trailers going to the Daytona car show. Arriving in Port Orange on Thanksgiving Day and NOTHING was opened except a gas station, our Thanksgiving dinner was sandwiches from a BP gas station. Over the years my daughters journals have been filled with Griswold-isms like this.

Port Orange - Palm Harbor ~165 miles... I can finally run with the big dogs with this much energy in reserve, like a huge sigh of relief I don't have to be cautious with my energy burn.

As many have documented, EV travel is extremely doable with proper planning and execution. We arrive home with ~1800 miles on the car and only paid $10 in 'energy fees'. Well over 2000 now and loving every one of them more than the last.

Having over 2000 miles of dirt/gook/nastiness, I took her to a local car wash yesterday, and was treated like royalty. They wouldn't even drive it, they asked me to stay close and move it from the vacuum stalls to the hand wash area (no running it thru the auto-wash) they cleaned the bucket, fresh washing mits and hand washed it. Then to a remote drying area normally used for car detailing. I certainly don't expect any special treatment for driving this car, but it sure seems to be happening.

Thanks Captain for your excellent detailed write up. I am starting to plan a March road trip to Florida for spring training baseball, your post will help.

Glad I could help, but I'm a noob at this. If it weren't for all the great threads/posts on the forums I would've been trying to reinvent the wheel. Months of lurking, reading, lurking, reading helped make this trip possible.

Looks like we have the same car except I have Grey Metallic w/ Black. Also, I didnt mention in the post I have the 21" wheels, so for those with the 19s you may have slightly different results.

Great writeup Captain! Wanted to meet you at the SC to see you off, but had to work. One of these days Susie and I will do the road trip to FL... Enjoy the ride.

Maybe you and Suzie can trace our path in yours :) We gotta fly together before I'm off the tripple (waiting for IAH 73/37 class).

Mark drove out from ORF to the Glenn Allen SC to see/drive it.

Last edited: