Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newb Question About Charging At Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I'm about to take delivery of my M3 on Wednesday. I'm looking at charging options for the house and have a few questions.

1. On the Wall Connector. Should I bother initially, or should I use the connector cable to a 14-50 (which will need to be installed). If I should get the Wall Connector, should I have it hardwired into my house or just use a 14-50?

2. On cable length. The electrical panel is on the right side (passenger's side) of my garage. Is the cable that comes with the car fairly long? It would need to reach around the car and to any outlet installed on that wall. Same question about the Wall Connector--how long is the cable?

Any other info would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Kevin

If it's a house you own, and there isn't already an outlet, I think I'd suggest installing a wall connector.

The advantage to the outlet is flexibility - ability to use it for other things, ability to take the EVSE with you when you move, but it comes at the cost of charging speed and some additional risk from another connection to overheat.

If you buy a Wall Connector, you can choose between an eight foot cord and twenty something. The twenty plus foot one will easily handle the described situation.

The UMC included with the car is also twenty something feet, but be aware you have to buy a 14-50 for it separately these days.

If it's an existing 14-50, then you can just plug in (assuming you buy the 14-50 adapter from Tesla). The best way to be sure the cable is long enough is to take an extension cord or rope and run it from the outlet to where you would have to plug in the car. You should have enough slack so that the cord lies mostly on the floor. The UMC is 20ft long altogether from the outlet to the end of the plug.

If you're going to be doing electrical work, then I strongly suggest that you have the outlet or wall connector placed so that you you have the minimum amount of cord to wind and unwind every day. It's well worth a few extra bucks.

As far as choosing between installing a wall connector and using a 14-50, it's pretty much a personal thing. If you're the type that simply HAS to carry their UMC around at all times (or you have a genuine need to carry it frequently) and can't leave the UMC plugged in at home, get the wall connector. Also, if you're getting an LR and can't stand the thought of charging at 32a when you could be charging at 48a, get the wall connector. OTOH, if 32a seems like plenty (or you're getting an SR which can only charge at 32a anyway), and spending a few hundred for the WC seems like a waste, a 14-50 will certainly give you a full battery every morning.

Reactions: F14Scott
If it's a house you own, and there isn't already an outlet, I think I'd suggest installing a wall connector.

The advantage to the outlet is flexibility - ability to use it for other things, ability to take the EVSE with you when you move, but it comes at the cost of charging speed and some additional risk from another connection to overheat.

If you buy a Wall Connector, you can choose between an eight foot cord and twenty something. The twenty plus foot one will easily handle the described situation.

The UMC included with the car is also twenty something feet, but be aware you have to buy a 14-50 for it separately these days.

Great info. That's exactly what I needed to know. It is a house I own so I will likely just have the connector hardwired in and get the longer cord. Thank you very much!

Reactions: Saghost
If it's an existing 14-50, then you can just plug in (assuming you buy the 14-50 adapter from Tesla). The best way to be sure the cable is long enough is to take an extension cord or rope and run it from the outlet to where you would have to plug in the car. You should have enough slack so that the cord lies mostly on the floor. The UMC is 20ft long altogether from the outlet to the end of the plug.

If you're going to be doing electrical work, then I strongly suggest that you have the outlet or wall connector placed so that you you have the minimum amount of cord to wind and unwind every day. It's well worth a few extra bucks.

As far as choosing between installing a wall connector and using a 14-50, it's pretty much a personal thing. If you're the type that simply HAS to carry their UMC around at all times (or you have a genuine need to carry it frequently) and can't leave the UMC plugged in at home, get the wall connector. Also, if you're getting an LR and can't stand the thought of charging at 32a when you could be charging at 48a, get the wall connector. OTOH, if 32a seems like plenty (or you're getting an SR which can only charge at 32a anyway), and spending a few hundred for the WC seems like a waste, a 14-50 will certainly give you a full battery every morning.

Thanks Dave. I am getting a LR (performance actuall...do you guys call that something else?). I would think using the UMC might be fine, though I'm not sure what folks are doing regularly. Is there a need to have the UMC with you all the time? I'm guessing the public chargers have their own cables, no?

Thanks Dave. I am getting a LR (performance actuall...do you guys call that something else?). I would think using the UMC might be fine, though I'm not sure what folks are doing regularly. Is there a need to have the UMC with you all the time? I'm guessing the public chargers have their own cables, no?

You don't need anything except the J1772 adapter to charge at public chargers.

I do like to keep the UMC in the car with adapters, just in case. It seldom matters, but I was a Boy Scout for a long time, and I still try to be prepared. :)

Reactions: mrau
Correct. You would only use the UMC on the road if you visited someplace like an RV park or private residence that didn't have actual EV charging. You would want to carry around the J1772 adapter, in case you wanted to use a non-Tesla location, but the UMC isn't needed in normal situations. I've been driving electric for 8 years now, and I've only used a portable EVSE a handful of times. Every time was a trip where I already knew or at least suspected I would need to have it along. For those cases, there's no problem unplugging it and packing it along. Just don't plug and unplug it from the wall every day.

Reactions: jerry33
My over 6 year experience with the S is:
1. I use a 14-50.
2. The 14-50 only gets unplugged when I take a trip or take it for service--Tesla likes to test the UMC.
3. Try to have the receptacle as near to the back car as possible.
4. Get a holder so that the cable and plug aren't the main things holding up the box on the UMC.
5. Even if you opted to get the HPWC, a 14-50 receptacle is a good idea for redundancy. The extra cost will be minimal because all the wires can be pulled at the same time.
6. Get the HPWC if you have a TOU or multiple Teslas.
7. If your house is an older house, check that you panel isn't Zinsco or Federal Pacific. If it is, get it changed out.

You only need the UMC on trips. The rest of the time it can remain plugged in at home. For public chargers you need the J1772 adapter (or the CHAdeMO adapter for fast public charging). The UMC is good for RV parks, campgrounds, and some Bed and Breakfasts that have put in 14-50s. I find a use for it on almost every trip I take (Note, I don't live in California where superchargers are more common than grass.)

Hi. I'm about to take delivery of my M3 on Wednesday. I'm looking at charging options for the house and have a few questions.

1. On the Wall Connector. Should I bother initially, or should I use the connector cable to a 14-50 (which will need to be installed). If I should get the Wall Connector, should I have it hardwired into my house or just use a 14-50?

2. On cable length. The electrical panel is on the right side (passenger's side) of my garage. Is the cable that comes with the car fairly long? It would need to reach around the car and to any outlet installed on that wall. Same question about the Wall Connector--how long is the cable?

Any other info would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Kevin

How far do you drive daily, and do you have the opportunity to charge at work? I've been perfectly fine with the 5-15 UMC with driving about 45 miles a day. I can mainly charge at work, and I do because it's free, but I can also *only* charge at home and it works just fine.

If you drive a lot then an L2 solution would be nicer, but if you don't drive a lot, it isn't necessary. You can just plug the UMC into any old outlet and easily replenish all your daily driving. 12 hours gets me about 61 miles of range added (which in real world driving will most likely be less, unless you drive slow).

How far do you drive daily, and do you have the opportunity to charge at work? I've been perfectly fine with the 5-15 UMC with driving about 45 miles a day. I can mainly charge at work, and I do because it's free, but I can also *only* charge at home and it works just fine.

If you drive a lot then an L2 solution would be nicer, but if you don't drive a lot, it isn't necessary. You can just plug the UMC into any old outlet and easily replenish all your daily driving. 12 hours gets me about 61 miles of range added (which in real world driving will most likely be less, unless you drive slow).

I only drive about 7 miles to work. No charging is available there yet. Sometimes I drive across town which is about 50 miles one-way. Not sure if there is a charger over there. Forgive my ignorance but what is an “L2?”

I have reached out to an electrician to ask about having a 14-50 outlet installed.

I only drive about 7 miles to work. No charging is available there yet. Sometimes I drive across town which is about 50 miles one-way. Not sure if there is a charger over there. Forgive my ignorance but what is an “L2?”

I have reached out to an electrician to ask about having a 14-50 outlet installed.

AC charging is described in 2 levels, 120V is level 1 (L1), and 240V is level 2 (L2).

At only 14 miles round trip, you can replenish that in <3 hours of L1 charging. An occasional 100 mile round trip without charging won't put a big dent in your usage. Instead of 2 nights of 3 hours of charging, if you do 2 nights of 12-hour charging you'd have added ~121 miles of range back, or enough to basically have totally caught up.

If I were you, I'd try living with the car and using L1 charging at home exclusively for a month or two and see how you like it. You don't need L2.

Reactions: F14Scott
To be clear here, if you just stick with the 120V L1 available in your garage already from a normal plug, if you plug in every night when you return home, your car will be back to your set % target in about 3 hours. Since you're not driving much, that target level could be lower than typical daily max (90%) and more like 80% or 70% to be nicer to your battery long term (storing at closer to 50% is healthier for the battery than closer to 100%).

If you have the SR+ with 240 miles of range, and set your target to 70% that is 168 miles.

You start in the morning with 168, you drive to work 7, drive home 7, your car will use more than 14 unless you drive really slow :D, let's say it uses 20. You arrive home at 148, plug in, and 4 hours later your car is back at 168.
If you install an L2 charging solution, your car is back at 168 in 1/2 an hour instead.

Either way when you leave the next morning the car is ready.

Now let's say you drive an extra 100-mile round trip, and use up 120-miles of range off the display. If you predict this, you can charge up 12 hours the night before to 90% instead of leaving it at 70%. Then that next night you can charge overnight 12 hours again and you're back to normal.

If it was unplanned, then you'll instead return home that night with only 28 miles of range (168 - 20 for commute - 120 for trip = 28). Now you charge overnight for 12 hours and are back to 88.
The next day you use 20 again for your commute, end at 68, and charge 12 hours overnight again and are back to your normal 168.

If you find yourself having lots of unlpanned longer excurisions, then you can leave your target at 80 or 90% instead of 70%.

With such a short commute I can't really see too much benefit in getting a faster home charging solution. If any REAL long roadtrips are in the cards, then those have to take you past superchargers or some other charging solution and you'll plan those ahead of time or just supercharge extra the first stop. For normal daily use that's so small, you can just charge at 120V IMO.