Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbe questions, keys, user settings, locking the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I just picked up my model x 2 days ago and I have a couple questions.

Its a brand new Raven long range.

1. My wife and I each programmed in our preferred seat settings. I did mine first then hers. This will be my car and I will be the one driving it 99% of the time. After programming in her settings and saving it, now, every time I walk up to the car it moves everything to her settings. I have to reach in and change it to me. It clearly says that my settings are programmed to remote 1 and hers to remote 2.

2. How do you know which is remote 1 and 2? As stated in #1, both remotes revert the car to my wife's settings.

3. Upon playing with all of this I noticed that the car did not auto lock. I thought that was one of Tesla's "things". You never needed to touch the remote. Just walk away and it locks. In all of this testing I have been able to get into the car, turn on the display and play with all the controls without a remote on me. Closest remote is inside the house 25 feet away.

Thanks!

are you absolutely sure that when you programmed in her settings that your fob was far away from the car and you had her fob with you as well as selecting her "remote 2"? Maybe just delete the settings and do it again.
Yes. It clearly says programmed to fob 1 and programmed to fob 2.

I am still having the locking issue too. I need to read the manual but I havent had time to sit in my car and read it yet though.

How do I lock this car? I have double tapped the top of the remote and the drivers door opens. i thought that was supposed to lock the car...

Single-click locks, and you'll likely find that very frustrating and want to disable it before long. Triple-click also locks, regardless of whether or not single-click lock is disabled. Also, walk away lock is a setting, so you might need to make sure it is enabled. You might also need to get both remotes a bit further away. Regardless of whether or not the vehicle locks, you shouldn't be able to switch out of the "Car Off" state by hitting the brake if there is no key in the cabin, so if you can do that, maybe someone dropped an extra fob the vehicle somewhere during delivery and covered it up in such a way that third fob is programmed to your vehicle? Finally, as I haven't kept up, is there any chance it is now an option and you also have your phone set up as a key?

Ok Ill try the single click and Ill look for an auto lock setting. I think Id prefer auto lock and unlock though so hopefully I can find that setting.

The car doesnt go out of car off mode when I get in without a key. It just powers up the dash and lights.

If there is a way to use the phone as a key, I havent heard. I havent seen a setting for that so I dont think so.

Yes. It clearly says programmed to fob 1 and programmed to fob 2.

I am still having the locking issue too. I need to read the manual but I havent had time to sit in my car and read it yet though.

How do I lock this car? I have double tapped the top of the remote and the drivers door opens. i thought that was supposed to lock the car...
Ok, I still think it would be good to remove the two profiles and reprogram them. Each time making sure you only have the correct fob within distance of the car.

Ok, I still think it would be good to remove the two profiles and reprogram them. Each time making sure you only have the correct fob within distance of the car.
Personally, while I didn't have this problem, the seat always seemed to move to my wife's position when she was in the car, so I just disabled the automatic movement for both profiles. This way she can choose her profile the <1% of the time she is driving. I also have 3 profiles for myself now, so auto didn't make sense for me regardless, but it is an easier fix when the car isn't back and forth between the two of you anyway, especially if her key is going to be in her purse when you're driving her IRL and your key is going to be with you if she drives you IRL.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Ok Ill try the single click and Ill look for an auto lock setting. I think Id prefer auto lock and unlock though so hopefully I can find that setting.

The car doesnt go out of car off mode when I get in without a key. It just powers up the dash and lights.

If there is a way to use the phone as a key, I havent heard. I havent seen a setting for that so I dont think so.

All the questions you are asking are covered quite thoroughly in the Owners Manual. Have you downloaded a copy from the web site?

Personally, while I didn't have this problem, the seat always seemed to move to my wife's position when she was in the car, so I just disabled the automatic movement for both profiles. This way she can choose her profile the <1% of the time she is driving. I also have 3 profiles for myself now, so auto didn't make sense for me regardless, but it is an easier fix when the car isn't back and forth between the two of you anyway, especially if her key is going to be in her purse when you're driving her IRL and your key is going to be with you if she drives you IRL.
yes, a good idea. The way we do it is the wife keeps her key in one of those little shielded pouches as she likes to protect it from scratches anyway. So for the 90% of time that I drive, the car doesn't see her fob in the car and when she drives, she is happy to just take it out of the pouch.