Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie help for buying CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to buy CPO on short notice as car died. Appreciate any help...

Looking at 2015 70D White MS, around 36K miles. Has AP1, leather sets and standard suspension.

1. What should be the price range for the vehicle ?
2. When buying, which specific things shall I check in the car?

Thanks!

1) no more than 55k
2) option wise hard to say as don’t know what u are looking for ..just check the usual ..any accidents , body condition(scratches etc ) wheels condition ; mechanically this isn’t like a ICE vehicle where u can check engine transmission etc ..

When you say CPO, you mean buying directly from Tesla? I hope... the Tesla warranty does not transfer if you buy from a 3rd party dealer. It does transfer in a private party sale.

From Tesla - All the mechanical things and electronics will be under warranty. Look carefully for the cosmetic things - scratches, dents, curb rash, damage to the interior.

Got it thanks.. yes, CPO from Tesla, with 4 years/50K miles. The pictures shared by advisor are not that great but I am being give assurance that if there was an scratch etc, they would have specifically mentioned it in pictures. That leaves condition of tires and rotors etc which I can see only when the car gets here.

I was wondering if there are other known issues etc that I should check for.

Interestingly, some of the CPO with same feature start with very high price $60K+. Some of the cars show up at low price point between 50k - $55K and I wonder why :)

Interestingly, some of the CPO with same feature start with very high price $60K+. Some of the cars show up at low price point between 50k - $55K and I wonder wh

Tesla unfortunately won’t allow preinspection at their sites anymore ..so u need to rely on the pics and what the OA knows about car ..a lot of times they don’t even have physical access to the car ..I would also recommend looking at for sale section of forums there are real good price points ..only reason for difference is probably physical condition and maybe color ..if same options considered

Don’t read too much into pricing of the used CPO. They are not consistent. Sometimes they try to adjust for options that are included now, sometimes they don’t. There are deals that go fast (like a day) and cars that sit for months.

They discount both based on years old and miles.

Will Tesla even give out statistics like that?

You get better photos on a Craigslist ad for a $1000 crapbox Nissan with 200K than with a $50K+ Tesla CPO. It is a total crapshoot. The entire process is a disgrace, really.

I don’t think Tesla really wants to sell used cars and would probably turn the whole process over to some other company if they could find one to take over the process.

All that being said, I bought my CPO at the tail end of 2017 when they were still doing cosmetic work on the cars. I got one with brand new Michelin tires and zero curb rash. There was some clumsy scratch repair on the rear hatch where the first owner had stupidly put a HOV sticker (instead of on the bumper). Interior was mostly clean with a few light marks on the headliner. No issues with the glass and no drivetrain issues, minor electronic issues (door armrest light had a loose connection) and a loose driver seat back (a spring replacement mostly fixed it).

Sluggo had to refuse one car before finding a good one. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks BigNick et al.

The only way I see as a newbie is to book the car and inspect it in detail before delivery. My CPO advisor seems nice and committed that I can refuse the car if it doesn't meet my expectations. Fingers crossed...

so far you all guided me to check:

- Interior and exterior condition for cuts, scratches, paintwork etc
- lifetime kWh/miles

Appreciate any further insights or course correction.

Webcrawler. Please, please find all post on buying a CPO. Folks are having really bad experiences.
Guy yesterday said his mileage was ging up 300 a day. Was not supposed to be delivered for 2 weeks, the SC was using it as loaner.
You are NOT allowed to see or touch your car until its paid for and transfrred. Guys have bought trashed cars and Service Center refused to fix them.
I went online used Cargrus listings to get price range.
My opinion, buy a private car. Pay cash. Fly out to get it. I shopped all over USA. Made a deal in Atlanta. Flew up, they picked me up.
Got a terrific deal cause i was paying cash on the spot. Watch all the YouTube videos you can. They help you so much.
CPO are 5k or more over street price. I now have 120k on my S. Only one door mechanism broke, i fixed it myself . I dont see the added value Of a CPO? After all of the cars sold, i dont read about thousands of broke cars . The 4 yr warranty on normal stuuf and 8 yr on battery, and motor seems to be holding up fine according to this blog.
Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and P85_DA
Also check the touchscreen for bubbles, cracks, etc.

Set the map to full screen without satellite images so the entire screen is mostly white. Cracks, yellow discolored areas and bubbles are easiest to see on a white background. Especially check around the edges.

Wow and I was comparing Tesla customer experience with Apple. Please help me little more with your opinion on price so I can gauge how much risk its worth taking.

Looking at 70D, 36K miles, solid white, Tan Leather seats, panoramic roof, autopilot for 52K. No other upgrades. what do you folks think?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would not buy cpo from tesla or a cpo from a private party. Losing the 8 year unlimited miles warranty on the battery and motors is not worth it too me. Since your only looking at buying a 70D it’s not as much of a guarantee that the battery will have to be replaced like it is with the performance models, but I still think most will before 8 years. I’m know Tesla has a good reason why they don’t include that warranty with any of their cpo cars.

Didn’t see anyone mention it here yet, but if buying a Tesla CPO i would strongly advise checking out the EV-CPO web site. This tool is very powerful if you pay the modest subscription. You can display or even download all historic data as well. I think a 1 month subscription is like $8.

Also note the way the Tesla CPO web site itself seems to work is by reducing the prices of the cars until somebody bites. My car dropped from about 85k to 66k before I bit :) This is why I think you need the EV-CPO tool, it helps you understand prices people have typically been paying and perhaps avoid overpaying before Tesla drop the price.

As for what to check, I was focused on tyre tread depth and cosmetics inside and out. That’s about all you can check with the pictures and reports you get, plus the mechanicals are covered by warranty. You get 4 years on most cars and 2 years on older and high km cars. So check which warranty you will be getting.

I just bought CPO and took delivery last week. I chose CPO for two reasons: 1) I wanted the warranty coverage as I’m a bit nervous since this is my first premium car experience and 2) I felt it was important to do everything “by the book” with tesla’s blessing since I knew I’d be relying on a good relationship for software upgrades.

Now that I have taken ownership and setup my first service appointment, I’m not sure how important #2 really is. They seem to treat all owners the same.

I think you’ve got most things covered in this thread already. I watched Tesla’s inventory for about 3 months so I understood quite well the avg price point for the features I wanted with low mileage. I also watched prices drop on cars daily as already mentioned above. So the main things I asked my sales advisor about where tire wear, curb rash, seat and general interior condition. He was great about sending me pics of a few small nicks in the paint. There was a big dent in nose cone that did not show in the pics, and Tesla will be taking care of this.

Best of luck. At the end of the day, you really can’t go wrong. Just get through the delivery and you will love the car!

Two things that have given me the red ass about my recent CPO purchase

1) check all body panels for dents. I had two small dents that were not disclosed in the pictures and will likely cost $2500 to fix as they are on the lip of the tailgate
2) check tire tread. Make sure it is north of 6/32”...I have mine for less than 800 miles and my tires are measuring 4 to 3 32s all around. With 21” rims those tires are pricey

I would not buy cpo from tesla or a cpo from a private party. Losing the 8 year unlimited miles warranty on the battery and motors is not worth it too me. Since your only looking at buying a 70D it’s not as much of a guarantee that the battery will have to be replaced like it is with the performance models, but I still think most will before 8 years. I’m know Tesla has a good reason why they don’t include that warranty with any of their cpo cars.

My cpo I got a week ago has both a 4yr 50k mile warranty and the remaining battery drive train warranty

Reactions: Super Dude
My cpo I got a week ago has both a 4yr 50k mile warranty and the remaining battery drive train warranty
The 2 year 100k mile warranty? No cpo car comes with 8 year infinite mile drive train warranty unless you bought someone’s else’s build that was still basically new. Like 500 miles or less in which they sell it as if it is new and comes with the standard warranty and not the cpo warranty. I would like to see you show your warranty if not cuz u will probably be in for a surprise that you do not have the unlimited miles warranty.
F7916DC1-F583-4E93-B215-6E332481BA2C.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: towelie