Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help!! New member and I don't know if this is a good idea!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another point of reference, the cheapest P90D with Ludicrous is this one (2 owner, no accident, $45ish landed to Arizona)
01.jpg

What is uncorked? Can that be done at anytime?
For the 75D model, Tesla increased 0-60 performance from 5.2 to 4.2 at some point during the model's lifespan. Later on, they decided they could increase performance for some of the earlier delivered models with a software change. Tesla performed this upgrade for free for some customers (if they requested it). It's possible they will still perform this upgrade if a specific car hasn't been uncorked yet (and is eligible).

Reactions: Npate2
I think the 90s are actually some of the least finicky batteries. The 85s are not holding up well at this age, but 90s are still going pretty strong (knock on wood).

If this car has free unlimited Supercharging and is free of obvious major defects, I would go for it.

If you don’t go for it, send me the link to the listing and I might snap it up. :)
Can you tell me more about the 90 batteries? What make you think that? I did post the battery sticker and what the SOC charge is. What do you think of it?

TwistedGray, what are the current Manheim numbers for 2021+ Model S Plaid and LR?
Can’t speak for Mannheim prices, but I do know of someone selling a 2022 (I think) plaid for low 90s which seems like a pretty good deal! Also the tesla site is showing 2023 LR for low 80s right now. Would love to know where Mannheim prices are on these cars right now though.

Can you tell me more about the 90 batteries? What make you think that? I did post the battery sticker and what the SOC charge is. What do you think of it?

The 2015 P90D was rated for 253 miles new.

Source:

So the one you are looking at showing 226 at almost a full charge is pretty good in terms of degradation. The build date (month and year) on the sticker on the inside of the driver's side door will show if any battery warranty is left and how much.

I think the early 90kwh batteries get a bad rap. They were known to have more aggressive degradation early in life before leveling off but there is nothing concrete that says the actual longevity of the batteries are impacted.

I would definitely go with a 90 over an 85. I would also avoid the 60 and 70 batteries (not enough range). Overall, considering the fact that it is has the ludicrous upgrade, free supercharging, premium connectivity, and AP1 which some people prefer, it seems like a lot of car for the money. There is always an inherent gamble with buying an older car but you could also score a great car.

Reactions: Mayer and Npate2
Hi everyone!
If I may ask for the help of the Tesla think tank (and please be kind- this is my first post and I promise I'll poke around and learn more- I'm a dork pilot who loves technical stuff! and time is sorta of the essence) I was wondering if this is a good idea to buy:
2015 P90D (it's underlined which I don't really know or understand what that means)
P90D ludicrous 0-60 in 2.8 sec.
How can I tell if this is a good car?
I think these are very well made, but like any luxury car though there are tons of little things that can go wrong and add up to $$$.
Test drive it and quickly find out most errors before you buy it:
  • Are the 21" wheels round or is there shimmy? One pothole is enough to bend one, $$$ to replace.
  • Is the air suspension level and not making noise? Several $k to repair.
  • How about brake rotor shimmy?
  • Is the car straight and stable on the highway, or are we looking at a lot of control arm replacements due to worn bushings and joints?
  • Listen for grinding in the rear drive unit. If yes, it's ready for $10k replacement. They can also fail quietly from water damage but there is no telling ahead of time.
  • Do all the door handles come out? Do trunk actuator and lock operate reliably?
  • How strong is the AC?
  • Are the displays stable or do they freeze and black out?
  • Evidence of sunroof leaking? If yes, you may be looking at curtain airbag replacements.
  • Set for Ludicrous and Max Power and power display on dash and see how much power it shows under full acceleration @ >=90% charge. Should be at least 450kW bet 30 and 90 mph. If not, the battery is shot.
1677846486880.png

Attachments

• 1677846405262.png
    1677846405262.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mayer and Krash
The 2015 P90D was rated for 253 miles new.

Source:

So the one you are looking at showing 226 at almost a full charge is pretty good in terms of degradation. The build date (month and year) on the sticker on the inside of the driver's side door will show if any battery warranty is left and how much.

I think the early 90kwh batteries get a bad rap. They were known to have more aggressive degradation early in life before leveling off but there is nothing concrete that says the actual longevity of the batteries are impacted.

I would definitely go with a 90 over an 85. I would also avoid the 60 and 70 batteries (not enough range). Overall, considering the fact that it is has the ludicrous upgrade, free supercharging, premium connectivity, and AP1 which some people prefer, it seems like a lot of car for the money. There is always an inherent gamble with buying an older car but you could also score a great car.
Thank you very much for this thoughtful reply- so seeing 225 miles with a 253 that is about an 11% degradation of battery- is that a pretty good sign? Is battery degradation the best indicator of battery health?

I think these are very well made, but like any luxury car though there are tons of little things that can go wrong and add up to $$$.
  • Are the 21" wheels round or is there shimmy? One pothole is enough to bend one, $$$ to replace.
  • Is the car straight and stable on the highway, or are we looking at a lot of control arm replacements due to worn bushings and joints?
  • Listen for grinding in the rear drive unit. If yes, it's ready for $10k replacement. They can also fail quietly from water damage but there is no telling ahead of time.
  • Do all the door handles come out? Do trunk actuator and lock operate reliably?
  • How strong is the AC?
  • Evidence of sunroof leaking? If yes, you may be looking at curtain airbag replacements.
  • Set for Ludicrous and Max Power and power display on dash and see how much power it shows under full acceleration @ >=90% charge. Should be at least 450kW bet 30 and 90 mph. If not, the battery is shot.
View attachment 913306
Thank you sooo much for this thoughtful response! It’s tough since the car is in KY and I’m in AZ. I’m going to research if there is any inspection services they can do that test

Reactions: Olle
Hi everyone- I received this from the old owner- the dealership has been outstanding trying to get as much info. I’m not sure if this good? Is it a decent idea to cycle a battery?

I never talked to or knew the old owner. The car come from Dallas. I bought it certified preowned through Tesla. Whenever I charged it I charged it to 90% percent. I only charged to 100% and let it fall to ~10% once a month to cycle the battery

• How strong is the AC?
View attachment 913306

So I was able to get the dealer to take it out for a bit and followed this exact procedure- he was in Ludacris + mode (according to him) and floored it and from the video it shows about 363 watt/hr. Does that seem like it’s a little low? It shows about 226 battery with about 97% full. Here is a link to the video

So I was able to get the dealer to take it out for a bit and followed this exact procedure- he was in Ludacris + mode (according to him) and floored it and from the video it shows about 363 watt/hr. Does that seem like it’s a little low? It shows about 226 battery with about 97% full. Here is a link to the video

Like I said, you would see 450 kW with a healthy battery. Should ideally be as high as 500 kW after the update, once the battery is pre-conditioned.

Here is a screenshot of your video. As you can see it looks like around 380 kW:
1677868546319.png

You can also see that is takes 3 sec from 24-60 mph in the vid. Should take around 2 sec in a healthy P90DL on a dry road...