Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Question: Autopilot and changing lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm a new Model 3 owner. My model is the long range, dual motor with premium interior. I took a drive from Portland to Seattle and drove most of the way using Autopilot. My first experience doing so. It worked fine but I do have a question. I'm in Autopilot and decide I want to change lanes. As soon as I touch the turn signal, I drop out of auto steer. Is that expected? I tried 3 different ways to use the turn signal. Just tap it, press and hold, or push all the way down so it signals until stopped. Each time auto steer was cancelled.

Does this feature only work when navigating on autopilot? I was just driving, not navigating to a destination.

Thanks for any pointers,
Al Rovner
Vancouver, Wash.

Hello comma wow you've been a multiple Tesla owner for a long time! My car is version 2019.12.1.2. No I didn't get the self driving option. Maybe that's the problem :)

Thanks,
Al R.

Base AP in newer cars doesn't do anything except TACC and autosteer in a single lane.

Auto lane change, nav on autopilot, autopark, summon, etc are all part of the FSD package now (formerly these were in the no-longer-offered EAP package)

Reactions: Silicon Desert