Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie seeking advice on used model S with over 100k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I’m a EV newbie waiting for my model 3 reservation to be called. In the meantime, i’m considering buying a used model S. Im looking to stay under 40k and i’ve seen a few at this price but with over 100k miles and i assume out of warranty.

Any specific issues I should be looking out for if buying from private party rather than CPO? Would you recommend just waiting for the 3? I dont really have any feature requirements and am fine with normal wear and tear. Just looking to buy my first EV for daily commute of 40 mile round trip (have charging at work)

Thx!

Banks will be hesitant to finance a vehicle over 100k miles. Also they take into perspective NADA value instead of bluebook. In a car at 100k + miles they will likely land in on the mid $20k's but I don't think you'll find a seller that's interested at that price, sadly.

I’m a EV newbie waiting for my model 3 reservation to be called. In the meantime, i’m considering buying a used model S. Im looking to stay under 40k and i’ve seen a few at this price but with over 100k miles and i assume out of warranty.

Any specific issues I should be looking out for if buying from private party rather than CPO? Would you recommend just waiting for the 3? I dont really have any feature requirements and am fine with normal wear and tear. Just looking to buy my first EV for daily commute of 40 mile round trip (have charging at work)
If you're set on getting a Model 3, I'd either just wait it out or get cheap used EV in the interim until you can order the 3 you'd like.

Used Leafs used to be cheaper but oddly, they've gone up in price over the years. See SF bay area cars & trucks - craigslist for examples. Just get a Leaf that hasn't resided in a hot climate that has a build month of 4/2013 or later and a reasonable # of capacity bars remaining. Model year '15 "lizard" batteries are best. Can send you more pointers, if you're interested.

(I paid $9,325 in July 2015 for a ~25 month old '13 Leaf SV (middle trim) w/premium package (Bose stereo + 4 camera Around View Monitor) w/all capacity bars w/clean title and under 24K miles. Posted at Wholesale value of the 2013 Leaf @Auction-March '18 - Page 8 - My Nissan Leaf Forum and numerous other places. It's still my daily driver nearing 55K miles. Lost a capacity bar in Nov 2017 but that's fine. My commute's <13 miles each way and I can charge at home and for free at work.

It replaced a '13 Leaf SV w/both packages I leased for 2 years and returned at the end.)

If you get a Model S that's past 100K miles and out of warranty, you're going to need to worry about potentially expensive repairs (e.g. half shafts (Clunking sound is costing me a bundle to fix out of warranty), MCU $2700 to fix MCU. Might DIY, but how much to reprogram new unit?, AC A/C Compressor finally failed. But $3400??!) or stuff that'll add up (e.g. door handles).

If you wait for a 3, at least it'll be under warranty.

Also, I have no idea how important the CA HOV stickers are to you. If the car's old and already has them, they expire 1/1/19 w/no option to renew. If it was issued HOV stickers in 2017 or 2018, once those stickers expire on 1/1/19, you can renew. See https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm and California’s Clean Air Decals | California Air Resources Board for more info.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mambro