Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

newbie using EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gotta admit its kinda scary sometimes, enhanced autopilot working great, kinda sways between the lines, to keep centered, car moves in front mine slows down, car ahead accelerates, and mine slowly accelerates , making me look like the idiot holding up traffic, i take over pushing the accelerator until back to set speed...

2, forget off ramps, takes them at the set speed not the off ramp speed.. again i have to intervene

3.driving along , get between two semi's autopilot brakes hard ( guess this is the phantom braking ), guy behind thinks i checked him and is now pissed off

4. signaled for off ramp, AP doesnt like this and fight me with the wheel to keep me going straight... even though I was signaling, and the wheel was very hard to turn...

just my newbie rant on EAP, cant wait to try FSD ..GULP

The slow acceleration I believe is done for efficiency reasons. Rapid acceleration/deceleration will significantly reduce efficiency. My biggest annoyance is that it brakes too hard and as a result uses friction brakes too much (wasting energy in the process). It does this even with follow distance set to something high like 5.

Another issue I have with AP and NOAP is that it handles merging traffic very poorly. One lane highways have to disengage when traffic is merging and two lane highways I have to stay in left lane or do the same as I do on one lane highways. If I don’t do this it will either cut off the merging vehicles or brake extremely hard and slow almost to a stop. Unacceptable.

Let me strengthen @JulienW 's response by saying that it's not even possible to get AP to change lanes into an exit lane, even if NoA is active and you are only trying to override it's navigation (for example, trying to pull off at a rest area). I sure wish it did, and it's been suggested before, but apparently the team has more important things to work on than something that would actually provide an immediate benefit to people.

Regarding the truck braking thing, I guess you could call it phantom braking if you want, but no, this is not generally what is referred to when someone is talking about phantom braking. Phantom braking is when it brakes for no apparent reason whatsoever. With the semis, the car sometimes falsely thinks the trucks are pulling into your lane and will aggressively slow to "let them in". Yes, very annoying. You have to anticipate this possibility whenever you are passing trucks (it's not just when you are in between them).

The slow acceleration I believe is done for efficiency reasons. Rapid acceleration/deceleration will significantly reduce efficiency.
No, this is not the case. Hard acceleration in an EV is not that big an efficiency loss like it is in an ICE vehicle. There is a small amount of IR drop related losses in the internal connectors, but it's not huge.

Repeated acceleration/deceleration, however, is. So if it is intentional (and not just a precautionary thing), that would be the reason for it: to reduce unnecessary speed ups/slow downs.

Let me strengthen @JulienW 's response by saying that it's not even possible to get AP to change lanes into an exit lane, even if NoA is active and you are only trying to override it's navigation (for example, trying to pull off at a rest area). I sure wish it did, and it's been suggested before, but apparently the team has more important things to work on than something that would actually provide an immediate benefit to people.
Can you elaborate? I’ve never had a problem getting AP to auto change lanes into an exit lane.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Can you elaborate? I’ve never had a problem getting AP to auto change lanes into an exit lane.
Are you talking about NoA taking the exit, or forcing AP to change into an exit lane that isn't part of the route (i.e. a rest area exit, or unplanned exit) by using the turn signal?

NoA will take the exit of course (if part of the route). But I am talking about an exit that is not part of the route.

I guess all I can say is that in my car, turning on the turn signal while in the right lane to request the car take the exit never works (although it's possible that a recent software update might have changed this behavior--I got sick of trying this, and haven't seen any indication in the release notes that that behavior has changed).

You had said this happens ”even if NoA is active,” which implies it can happen when NoA isn’t active. I‘m guessing you meant only when NoA is active, and you might be right, but I haven’t tried that.
No, either way: active or inactive. It will not change lanes into an offramp when I turn on the blinker. I have to disengage AP (either explicitly, or by yanking the wheel).

On my former commute to work, the car's preferred route was to go from one interstate to another. MY preferred route was to take a shortcut that cut the corner. This was still a limited access highway. The speed limit went down to 60 (from 70), but everyone still drove like it was 70, so it really was faster, even though the car didn't assume it was. So I never had NoA on going to work. When I did get to my exit, I turned on my turn signal to indicate I was exiting, but the car never took the exit until I yanked the wheel or disengaged AP.

Same thing on the return trip home, and the off ramp was even larger there, and at that interchange I was going from highway to highway, so it would have been VERY nice to just keep AP activated and let me request an exit by turning my blinker on. But it never did it.

Regarding the truck braking thing, I guess you could call it phantom braking if you want, but no, this is not generally what is referred to when someone is talking about phantom braking. Phantom braking is when it brakes for no apparent reason whatsoever. With the semis, the car sometimes falsely thinks the trucks are pulling into your lane and will aggressively slow to "let them in". Yes, very annoying. You have to anticipate this possibility whenever you are passing trucks (it's not just when you are in between them).

No, this is not the case. Hard acceleration in an EV is not that big an efficiency loss like it is in an ICE vehicle. There is a small amount of IR drop related losses in the internal connectors, but it's not huge.

Repeated acceleration/deceleration, however, is. So if it is intentional (and not just a precautionary thing), that would be the reason for it: to reduce unnecessary speed ups/slow downs.
If your in traffic though the two will usually go hand in hand which is why I believe the system behaves the way it does. Even in mad max mode I don't like how it changes lanes and then doesn't really accelerate with authority unless another car is fast approaching from behind.