Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I bought my Long Range, 7-seat Y with the enhanced autopilot feature. My brother-in-law has FSD and enjoys the updates, but I just couldn't justify $15,000 for it, so I settled on enhanced autopilot. Some quirks:
  1. Unlike the human driver, who is likely to step on the brake (or ease off of the accelerator) when the break lights of the car ahead come on, EAP doesn't care about such things. It's a bit tough getting used to this.
  2. EAP knows nothing about courtesy when driving. A car in a neighboring lane trying to merge is ignored.
  3. Put on your turn signal and EAP will cause the car to decelerate rather hard and go behind the car in the neighboring lane. It will not speed up and then take the neighboring lane.

• Love
Reactions: beachmiles
You'll get used to #1...I agree, but you will learn to trust the car and it takes a while. In the meantime, set your follow distance to 7 and see how that works for you. You can always use the scroll wheel to decelerate when seeing brake lights up ahead, or disengage if that feels safer. It's your judgement call.

Re: #2...I've found when a car slightly ahead (1/2 - 1 car length) in a neighboring lane wants to come into my lane and has their turn signal on, EAP will brake to let them in.

I haven't experienced your issue in #3.

I have regular Autopilot and had an interesting experience this morning.

Was driving on the highway doing 68 (normal max) in the left lane and some jerk came up behind me doing at least 80. When he got close close my M3 started to brake and veer to the right into the center lane. Quite frankly scared the @#$% out of me. Since my hand was already on the wheel I stopped it but did notice the center lane was empty. It all happened so fast I am not sure if the car turned the directional on when it started it's lane change.

Once I had it "under control" I did move to allow the speeder to go ahead.

Is this normal behavior and should I have just let it make the lane change?

If 80 is 'speeding' I'm in trouble.
That said, never experienced the move you mention, but also NEVER sit in the left lane like a jerk.

You probably had some glitch or the car thought is was avoiding a foreword hazard - autopilot does not change lanes and not sure a delta of ~12 mph would warrant some emergency evasive maneuver.

EAP is simply adaptive cruise control with lane centering and automated lane change. It’s not any where near self driving.

It just stays between the lane lines and speeds up or slows down based on the distance from the car in front of it.

It’s does not account for merging vehicles until the car is in front of you in your lane. It does not look at brake lights or perform maneuvers with any human like logic or anticipation.

Reactions: Mithgul
If 80 is 'speeding' I'm in trouble.
That said, never experienced the move you mention, but also NEVER sit in the left lane like a jerk.

You probably had some glitch or the car thought is was avoiding a foreword hazard - autopilot does not change lanes and not sure a delta of ~12 mph would warrant some emergency evasive maneuver.
Like a jerk? Speed limit is 55 where I live. Generally when I see someone driving with excessive speed coming up behind me I would have moved over prior but this guy I didn't see coming, he was flying. He came right up on my bumper which to me is someone being a jerk.

EAP is simply adaptive cruise control with lane centering and automated lane change. It’s not any where near self driving.

It just stays between the lane lines and speeds up or slows down based on the distance from the car in front of it.

It’s does not account for merging vehicles until the car is in front of you in your lane. It does not look at brake lights or perform maneuvers with any human like logic or anticipation.
That's what I thought. I just can't explain this odd behavior this morning.

I dont have FSD. I have Enhanced autopilot. Its usually very reliable but yesterday in Vancouver while turning left (east to north) from Cornwall Ave onto the Burrard street bridge, my 2018 M3 attempted to veer into the southbound Bridge lanes. I expect FSD may have the same issue. IS there a reporting protocol to make Tesla aware of potential problem areas? Thanks

I dont have FSD. I have Enhanced autopilot. Its usually very reliable but yesterday in Vancouver while turning left (east to north) from Cornwall Ave onto the Burrard street bridge, my 2018 M3 attempted to veer into the southbound Bridge lanes. I expect FSD may have the same issue. IS there a reporting protocol to make Tesla aware of potential problem areas? Thanks
If you’re talking about city streets, enhanced autopilot doesn’t do that. Only fsd beta can

Reactions: E90alex