Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie with questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
Just picked up my car 2 days ago, love it although the delivery was a nightmare. Long wait, delivery guy ended up cleaning the car, yucky job but I’ll tidy it up. Sadly, I think I knew more about the car than him, he was sent in from another location to help but couldn’t answer many questions so I’m learning as I go.
Anyone having an issue with the voice command? I feel like I have to scream to get it to react, usually takes 3-4 tries... frustrating. The other issue is the key cards, they work fine as does my iPhone but on the display the keys show as “Unknown Key” I named them and that shows up fine I just can’t figure out the unknown part.
I also read a few posts about missing inner fender well clips so I checked and I was missing 6, kind of sad on the QC side but an easy fix.
Don’t want to sound like Debbie Downer here as I absolutely love the car, one day of driving and all the little issues from delivery go away. Looking forward to reading all the forum has to offer. Thanks!

Reactions: Dmagyar and Dre78
Welcome, and sorry for the frustrating experience, but sounds like you've got the right attitude about it to move on and be able to enjoy a great car.

I've never found the voice command to work superbly. I was looking forward to an expansion of its capabilities (supposedly being able to control almost anything in the car with voice) but that hasn't come. Not sure about the keycard thing.

I've never seen an official statement that those fender clips are in fact required - appears everyone is missing some. Seems they were initially planned for and abandoned as extraneous early in the manufacturing process. This is my understanding at least - I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong. Can't hurt anything of course. Easy to add either yourself or I'm sure Service will do it if asked.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. As far as the rear wheel well clips go, I’m assuming Tesla is aware and has a reason as the forums date back about a year so it doesn’t appear to be a one off Friday car.
Anyway, there’s a definite hole in both the liner and the inner fender so for the few dollars I put them in...makes me happy I guess lol.

WRT the voice commands - what firmware are you running? Prior to version 2019.5.15 the commands were very hit or miss (apparently very dependent on your internet connection strength) and, worse of all, it would fail by just acting like it couldn’t even hear you.

Ever since 2019.5.15 they’ve been rock solid for me. I think I’ve only ever had it fail once since the update and it gave me a retry option right away.

@davecal:

The phrase “latest version” has a decidedly different meaning WRT Tesla firmware than the typical software version sense of the phrase. For most software, the latest version is just that: the most recently released gold version superseding all earlier versions. In Tesla-speak, “latest version” is whichever version Tesla in its sole discretion determines your specific vehicle needs and is compliant with whatever their rollout plans are. The reasons for a certain version on a certain vehicle are speculated upon in this and other fora, but are just that: speculation.

In your case, 8.3 is a relatively recent version but no longer the most recent. I know of no vehicle (through TeslaFi) that has received every new firmware release, and I doubt that you will either, I certainly haven’t. That doesn’t mean your vehicle is neglected, just that it doesn’t yet fall into Tesla’s omnipotent definition of what you should have.