Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newfoundland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any thoughts on when Tesla will install Superchargers in North Sydney, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland?

I am just back from a kayaking trip to Newfoundland. (It was a great trip with whales, icebergs, eagles, caribou, moose, seals, and puffins).

I hope to return soon with my cyber truck. The fastest charges I ran into in my travels were 62.5kw CCS1 chargers.

Reactions: navguy12
Nova Scotia is easy. There's already 2 there.
1689104018970.png

For the remainder, there has to be enough Teslas to justify it, either in purchased or travelling cars.
But there are a lot of CCS locations along the way, Canada has done a pretty good job at deploying them.

So, they may only be 60kW chargers.

A) find a hotel with L2 and stay there
B) 60kW should only take about an hour, not that bad.
C) Get out and have a snack, meal or drink while charging

It's a vacation, get out, enjoy the area and chill while charging.

Nova Scotia is easy. There's already 2 there.
View attachment 955311
For the remainder, there has to be enough Teslas to justify it, either in purchased or travelling cars.
But there are a lot of CCS locations along the way, Canada has done a pretty good job at deploying them.

So, they may only be 60kW chargers.

A) find a hotel with L2 and stay there
B) 60kW should only take about an hour, not that bad.
C) Get out and have a snack, meal or drink while charging

It's a vacation, get out, enjoy the area and chill while charging.
The vacation starts when you leave the car behind and get in your boat.

We just spent 9 days kayak camping, enjoying leaving my truck behind.

As for Nova Scotia having coverage, none of them are helpful in getting to Newfoundland. The last Supercharger that would be close to being on the route is Aulac, NB.

It's a long way to go with 62.5kW chargers. (1,271km).

I look forward to the day that I can make the trip without burning gas. I had three 18' sea kayaks on my truck and a lot of gear. We did the trip with two trucks and five kayakers (it was supposed to be six, but one person ended up in the hospital before the trip).

IMG_1689.jpg

Reactions: navguy12
Any thoughts on when Tesla will install Superchargers in North Sydney, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland?

I am just back from a kayaking trip to Newfoundland. (It was a great trip with whales, icebergs, eagles, caribou, moose, seals, and puffins).

I hope to return soon with my cyber truck. The fastest charges I ran into in my travels were 62.5kw CCS1 chargers.

My guess is that it will be a while (could be a few years) before Tesla builds superchargers in NL. NL Hydro may build faster stations (>62.5 kW) in the meantime. Just a couple years ago, there weren’t any dcfc in NL, so the current situation is progress.

It might take a few years for Tesla to deliver that cybertruck too! :).

I did a trip to the east coast on my motorcycle a few weeks ago and remember seeing a few teslas rolling around cape breton island so there must be some kind of charging infrastructure there. Then again those could be locals who charge at home. I remember teslas (and other EVs) being very plentiful in quebec, and then being very rare once I crossed into NB and NS. From my limited time there, I get the impression that NB and NS are a bit behind the times compared to Quebec and Ont. Haven't been to Nfld but I'm guessing it's the same or even worse than NS. Incomes in NB/NS/Nfld are lower than in QC/Ont so it makes sense that there are fewer people who can afford EVs right now.

Reactions: kayak1 and navguy12
I did the Cape Briton in 2021. Only lacking a Supercharger right before entering Cape Briton. I used the CHaDeMo there. There is no high capacity charger inside Cape Briton. I used the Park's garage charger once and the outlet at night outside the Driftwood Lodge I was staying.

Reactions: kayak1
I will be travelling to Newfoundland soon. Thanks for all the comments here. All CCS stations also have CHADeMO, right? I only have CHADeMO. Thanks in advance.
The ones I viewed did have CHADeMO. You might look at adding CCS support to your car. Over time it will help you charge in future NACS sites that talk CCS in the back end. Also, all of the charging I viewed in Newfoundland was billing based on time. You may be able to get a slightly faster speed using CCS and thus be slightly more $ efficient.

in July 2022 I traveled from Ohio to St. Johns Newfoundland with my Model 3. Aulac NB was the last supercharger (and to this day still is) along that route. I installed the Gen4 ECU and custom wire harness to use the CCS adapter and it got me across the island and back just fine. 1 stall per location is rough if someone's already there, and the 45 to 60-minute charge stops are also not the best. but as of now, it's infinitely better than nothing lol.

The worst part is actually in Nova Scotia between Aulac NB and the NewFoundLand Island, that stretch only had three 30-40Kw chargers working along the way (this was July 2022 so it hopefully might have changed).

Reactions: kayak1 and bolero
in July 2022 I traveled from Ohio to St. Johns Newfoundland with my Model 3. Aulac NB was the last supercharger (and to this day still is) along that route. I installed the Gen4 ECU and custom wire harness to use the CCS adapter and it got me across the island and back just fine. 1 stall per location is rough if someone's already there, and the 45 to 60-minute charge stops are also not the best. but as of now, it's infinitely better than nothing lol.

The worst part is actually in Nova Scotia between Aulac NB and the NewFoundLand Island, that stretch only had three 30-40Kw chargers working along the way (this was July 2022 so it hopefully might have changed).
It looks like it's better before you get on the Island.

I have a trip planned for 2025, hopefully with 4 kayaks and my Cybertruck.