Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newly Installed System ?/Problem? Inverters not waking up/working in the morning!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my system installed last Friday by a certified Tesla Installer. Tesla does not do their own installs in NC. I had a 14.98kw system installed consisting of 37 Q cell Panels and 2 powerwall+'s and 1 powerwall 2. The first morning after the install, I woke up to no production of solar. I power cycled the powerwalls and it started producing no problem. Since then in the mornings it cranks up like its supposed to. This morning, I woke up to no solar production again. I power cycled the powerwalls again and it started producing again. Was already getting 5kw of production. Went from 0-5kw after the power cycle. It is almost like my inverters aren't coming out of standby/sleep mode. Before I contact my installer anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Or is it just my random luck?

Here is what the gateway was showing in the morning. Before and after a power cycle.
IMG_0794.png

Attachments

• IMG_0797.png
    IMG_0797.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 43
Day 3 in a row today that I had to power cycle the system and it comes up working perfectly fine but the inverters don’t wake up on their own. One shows disconnected other shows disabled until I power cycle then they work like normal.

A similar thing happened to my system as of Friday morning Oct 20th (my system was installed 2 months ago, with 10.8 kW & 2 powerwall+'s by Tesla and has worked flawlessly since install).

Woke up and noticed an unusually low amount of kW production around 8am (about half of what it typically produced the days before with full sun). Tesla chat rep said my system showed no errors and suggested I power cycle the gateway & powerwalls which it did resolve production but then woke up to the same ordeal today. Something going on, but not sure if it's firmware updates, or my actual system.

Is this a common issue for the Inverters to go into some sort of standby mode overnight and not kick back up the next morning w/ sun?

Screenshot_20231021-162501.png

• Informative
Reactions: cliftonrouse
Installers came back today and phoned Tesla. Tesla claimed it was because I was on the Time Based Control and the batteries were at 100% in the morning causing the inverters to not turn on. I have my doubts this is the problem, but I have a 1:1 net metering plan with my Energy Provider. So I have it on Self Powered mode now with 100% backup Reserve. I want to send all the power back to the grid as possible building up some credits for the winter. I will update everyone if this was the true problem.

Installers came back today and phoned Tesla. Tesla claimed it was because I was on the Time Based Control and the batteries were at 100% in the morning causing the inverters to not turn on. I have my doubts this is the problem, but I have a 1:1 net metering plan with my Energy Provider. So I have it on Self Powered mode now with 100% backup Reserve. I want to send all the power back to the grid as possible building up some credits for the winter. I will update everyone if this was the true problem.
When is the true-up accounting, end of December? Once a year?

Here is what the gateway was showing in the morning. Before and after a power cycle.

Do you know how your strings are configured? Based on the state after the power-cycle, it seems like strings B & C on the first inverter might be parallel (due to same voltage). Tesla's design documents or a photo of the inverter with the door opened would confirm that. The reason I ask is my system was wired that way and it was not the correct way to wire it, so it had to be fixed (Low solar production before PTO, how to diagnose possible strings issue). If strings A,B,C on the first inverter are all independent, then this is a different issue.

Do you know how your strings are configured? Based on the state after the power-cycle, it seems like strings B & C on the first inverter might be parallel (due to same voltage). Tesla's design documents or a photo of the inverter with the door opened would confirm that. The reason I ask is my system was wired that way and it was not the correct way to wire it, so it had to be fixed (Low solar production before PTO, how to diagnose possible strings issue). If strings A,B,C on the first inverter are all independent, then this is a different issue.
Well one does show parallel on the net zero app.
IMG_0797.png

Well one does show parallel on the net zero app.

Yes, I saw the parallel string on the second inverter -- I was wondering about the first inverter. But based on your design you have 3 independent strings going into the first inverter, so that's not the issue.

Hopefully Tesla and your installer can resolve this. A couple other things I would do to investigate further:

1. If you lower your Powerwall reserve so they're not at 100% in the morning, does the issue still happen? If the system somehow mistakenly thought it was off-grid, it might curtail solar generation when the batteries are full.

2. The last tab on that Gateway screen has some more low-level information: Raw API Access / Device vitals. Devices starting with PVAC and PVS are inverters and strings, and you can look for any alerts there (when the system is not working).