Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nexen tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on my 2nd set of Nexen RU5s (staggered).
After the 1st set, I had to have them again.
I ordered them from Amazon, and had them installed locally, total cost about $600.
They are very quiet and very smooth.
I drive in snowstorms often, and have NEVER used the $440 tire chains I am required to carry (does anyone want to buy them?).
I will say that I replaced the last set due to uneven wear (and noise), but this was after 40K miles and (obviously) no rotation.
Unfortunately, apparently the 265/45/20s are being discontinued.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: bhorn and DIL
I am on my 2nd set of Nexen RU5s (staggered).
After the 1st set, I had to have them again.
I ordered them from Amazon, and had them installed locally, total cost about $600.
They are very quiet and very smooth.
I drive in snowstorms often, and have NEVER used the $440 tire chains I am required to carry (does anyone want to buy them?).
I will say that I replaced the last set due to uneven wear (and noise), but this was after 40K miles and (obviously) no rotation.
Unfortunately, apparently the 265/45/20s are being discontinued.
Any idea how they compare to Michelin X-Ice Snow?

I think Michelin X-Ice Snow are new this year so I doubt anyone has a season of driving experience with them. We have had X-Ice 3's on both Subaru's (Forester/BRZ) for years and they are excellent, so expect the X-Ice Snow to be just as good or better. I just picked up a used set of Nexen Winterguard to try on the Model S but I am setting my expectations low. Nexen tires are less than half the cost of Michelin...

Anybody ever tried calling Nexen? Just tried calling their sales and warranty numbers: neither one works. Just tried emailing them. Was about to pull the trigger on the RU5s, but Sam’s sold out of the 265s (sounds like discontinued), so I’m trying to confirm authorized online dealers. Their warranty info says Amazon is not an authorized dealer. Anybody successfully used Nexen tread warranty on an Amazon purchase?

Anybody ever tried calling Nexen? Just tried calling their sales and warranty numbers: neither one works. Just tried emailing them. Was about to pull the trigger on the RU5s, but Sam’s sold out of the 265s (sounds like discontinued), so I’m trying to confirm authorized online dealers. Their warranty info says Amazon is not an authorized dealer. Anybody successfully used Nexen tread warranty on an Amazon purchase?
I called to ask about N5000 Platinum vs AU7 for my AWD Tesla left vm for tech team and received a nice call back 15mins later. The representative gave great feedback on them. Ultimately after seeing the two sets in person I chose the AU7 as it seems like it had a much stiffer sidewall, they ride great. $540 with install and roadside for 3 years.

Reactions: MikeScarne
You can get the Goodyear F1s at Tirerack for $475 the complete set after a $100 rebate. Not sure I would save on tires... my 2 cents

This is a general consensus from people that dont have experience buying off brand tires. Because its a no name brand they must be inferior. It couldnt be further from the truth.

Those off brands are typically made by the same people that make name brand tires. Especially if its in China or Taiwan. Nankang tires are a great example. I had an SQ5 with a very weird 21" size and they were insanely expensive. Nankang set was literally 75% cheaper or close to it and they were great tires. A tire factory is not something you can just throw together and it doesnt make sense for some no name person to just start building tires. I havent owned Nexen but heard the name many times. Research is needed but im betting the tires are just fine. Many brand name companies make garbage tires. Ive had terrible Yokahama tires before.

Reactions: FairscottL