Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next-gen Tesla Roadster to be Faster and Have Better Range Than Original

Tesla’s boss George Blankenship stated, “If you fast forward beyond that [2015-2016], we go back to the roadster and do things that people aren’t doing and push the envelope. That would be the next-generation roadster.”

“The original roadster was a proof-of-concept car,” he said. “We did an electric car with over a 200-mile range and 0-60mph in under four seconds. Back then, no one believed it was possible. And then we did the Model S saloon, with 0-60mph in 4.4sec and a 300-mile range.”

Some clues from an interview with George B. citing the next Roadster coming in 2018 - more just published today:
Tesla Roadster To Return In 2018: Report | Reviews | Prices | Australian specifications

Hmm, this looks like the same quotes from the other article. They also seem to infer/assume 2018 vs George outright saying it. 2018 sounds about right, but Tesla guesstimates don't always land home:

Speaking with UK mag Autocar, Tesla sales boss George Blankenship suggested that a new Roadster will land in around five years from now, after a BMW 3 Series rival is launched.

I hope Tesla does a variant or two for Roadster 3.0. Start the "entry" model at $90K-100K with a high-end model aimed at Ferrari, Lamborghini and McLaren for ~$250K.

Oh, I so want Tesla to survive that long. The Roadster's not my kind of car, but I do enjoy seeing what engineers can do when you give them a drool-inducing price point. Then you hope that the technological advances bring the price down.

Deposit for the next roadster? (not yet, but one can hope....)

The world has changed somewhat since this thread was last updated:

1) With the hire of Chris Porritt, and giving him a blank sheet, the next roadster will likely be a combination of supercar mechanics and super model looks.Like this:
Aston-Martin-One-77-1-1024x626.jpg

2) Tesla now has the funds to start to innovate a relatively low volume product, that like the first roadster will be a showcase for new technology.

My bet is that the next generation roadster will have similarities to the first Honda NSX, a "practical supercar".

Elon, if you are out there, I would put a deposit down now before you guys they have even put pen to paper.:wink:

The car recently pictured has a big ICE up front requiring a long "snout". I would think/hope that the Roadster could have a more "cab forward" design with smaller front hood since the drivetrain is likely to be between the rear wheels.

Porsche's new hybrid entry...only $850,000:scared:

Porsche’s Entry in the Science Fair - NYTimes.com

I think and hope this is closer to the Roadster 3.0 than the One-77, which has accurately been described as close to a Karma. A roadster, on the other hand, is a two-seater convertible.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadster_(automobile)

They are also generally small and nimble. Alfa Spider, MG, Miata, Tesla Roadster 1.5-2.5, Z3, Lotus Super 7 and Exige, Porsche 356 Speedster and Roadster...

Also, GB's and EM's comments indicate to me that supercars are relevant benchmarks. So P1, LaFerrari, and 918 come to mind. Not a super-perf Model S.

I similarly think that there may be a Gen 3 convertible, a la 3-series, and I expect it would sell like crazy, but that isn't a roadster. The Roadster has not to date been described as using the Gen 3 platform, but rather a fresh sheet of paper to explore what is possible. That will mean weight and aero and other performance criteria take priority over storage space, so I don't expect a car that is elevated five+ inches because it sits on a battery. Like the i3, seen here sitting next to a Tesla Roadster.

BMW i - Page 32

That said, there have also been indications that the next Roadster will be more like the 3-series convertible. 2+2. But as I wrote above, that to me is just a different version of the Gen 3. And what people were saying four years ago may not represent current thinking.

Next Gen Tesla Sportscar

Last edited:
Next Roadster (putting a few thougts together)

Putting 2 minutes thoughts together:

1. Must seat 2 comfortably
2. Must fit 2 golf bags
3. Must have lower CoG than any other production car
4. Must have better acceleration to 200kph than any other production car (Nurburgring)
5. Must offer convertible option
6. Must use skateboard chassis (modified)
7. Must use aluminum body panels
8. Must be able to shed weight for track racing (lighter weight options)

From the other side, things wrong with the current Roadster:
CoG is not good due to big battery cube.
Motor overheats quickly
0-60 is awesome, 60-120 mediocre
( front ) tires too small, brakes too weak for its mass
Aerodynamics are poor
Wind noise is terrible

If BMW has figured out how to get carbon fiber into a $40,000 car then Tesla should be able to in a $100,000+ Roadster. Is the carbon fiber reinforced plastic that BMW uses different that the carbon fiber that Tesla used for the Roadster other than cost to produce?