Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A next-gen Roadster does not have to be a hugely-expensive limited-edition halo car. In fact, I believe it shouldn't be. Tesla needs to grow, and sell lots of cars, and be very profitable, and ensure its long-term survival. And the best way I can see to do that is to go after the BMW 3-series and comparable cars with a vengeance.

The Gen-III platform could easily spawn a sedan, a coupe, a 2+2 convertible, and a two-seat roadster, all built on the same chassis with the same powertrain and battery options. BMW did it with the 3-series: sedan, coupe, convertible, roadster. You can then offer Standard, Performance, and P+ versions of each of those by varying inverter, motor, tires, suspension... and the overall product family would still have huge commonalities that would make it affordable for Tesla to build, easier to market. I'd trade in my Model S for an AWD P+ Model E Convertible (2+2), with the biggest battery Tesla offers me at that point, in a heartbeat. And it's an easy sell for a large market segment that ALREADY exists and is KNOWN to have 100K+ potential in annual volume.

Why should Tesla make things any harder for itself than absolutely necessary?

Yeah, like I said. It's not going to happen. AWD with 700+HP weighing roughly the same as a 90's era Civic... it'd be nice to see, and might technically be possible now (if you don't care about range), but who in their right mind would green-light something like that?

Well, This is a speculation thread on something that hasn't even been thought about in any detail by those that might make it. That means that by definition anything that we speculate on is almost guaranteed not to happen. That doesn't change the fact that it's still fun to speculate.

Also you mention range. The total horsepower of the vehicle should have little to now effect on the total range of the vehicle as the efficiency of the motor/s should remain similar over large sizes. So assuming that all other things (weight, aerodynamics, etc) are equal and electric car with 200hp and one with 1000 hp should have more or less the same range when traveling at equal speeds, and accelerating in the same timespan. The moral of the story being that everything should be fine as long as you don't have a lead foot and floor the thing all the time.

I again find it odd that you think specifications like this are insane or something. This would be good for a high ended super car in terms of power to weight, but not ridiculous. The Laferrari has 950hp in a 2,750lb or so vehicle, and that's not crazy.

A next-gen Roadster does not have to be a hugely-expensive limited-edition halo car. In fact, I believe it shouldn't be. Tesla needs to grow, and sell lots of cars, and be very profitable, and ensure its long-term survival. And the best way I can see to do that is to go after the BMW 3-series and comparable cars with a vengeance.

The Gen-III platform could easily spawn a sedan, a coupe, a 2+2 convertible, and a two-seat roadster, all built on the same chassis with the same powertrain and battery options. BMW did it with the 3-series: sedan, coupe, convertible, roadster. You can then offer Standard, Performance, and P+ versions of each of those by varying inverter, motor, tires, suspension... and the overall product family would still have huge commonalities that would make it affordable for Tesla to build, easier to market. I'd trade in my Model S for an AWD P+ Model E Convertible (2+2), with the biggest battery Tesla offers me at that point, in a heartbeat. And it's an easy sell for a large market segment that ALREADY exists and is KNOWN to have 100K+ potential in annual volume.

Why should Tesla make things any harder for itself than absolutely necessary?

I agree with you more or less. If Tesla should focus on growth and does't have to make a hugely expensive car and they can make perfectly fine sports cars or whatever by recycling their platform into sever variants at their leisure. However, in my opinion a true supercar exists to show what can be done at the limits of the technology with price is no object. I have no doubt that Tesla has the ability to grow in sales and produce many more wether or not they decide to make a cheaper 2+2, a cheap sports cars, or no sports cars at all. The point is that if they wanted to they could make a super car that shows what they can do at the limit of their technology and still make a profit, and if they can do this (as in they have the resources, personnel etc.) I see no reason for them not to. I mean what was the original roadster if not a means to show everyone what they could do with their technology?

Tesla will definitely be building a Roadster, but I think it's going to be more 911 (something in the ~$100k range), than 918 (something closer to $1 million). Something like a 911 would be the closest "spiritual" successor to the Roadster.

Of course they can and probably will build a lineup that can have a wider price range (like the base 911 Carrera all the way up to the Turbo S) and the top version might have "supercar" capabilities, even though it's not a dedicated model.

Also you mention range. The total horsepower of the vehicle should have little to now effect on the total range of the vehicle as the efficiency of the motor/s should remain similar over large sizes. So assuming that all other things (weight, aerodynamics, etc) are equal and electric car with 200hp and one with 1000 hp should have more or less the same range when traveling at equal speeds, and accelerating in the same timespan. The moral of the story being that everything should be fine as long as you don't have a lead foot and floor the thing all the time.I again find it odd that you think specifications like this are insane or something. This would be good for a high ended super car in terms of power to weight, but not ridiculous. The Laferrari has 950hp in a 2,750lb or so vehicle, and that's not crazy.
I'm not sure why you're assuming I'm talking about horsepower when I mentioned, "if you don't care about range." You made incorrect assumptions the first time you replied, and you did it once again there. I was talking about simply chopping the battery size down by a sizable margin to achieve the target weight of 2700lbs; hence, "if you don't care about range." And you don't think 950hp in a 2750lb car isn't crazy? Do you have daily drive a Formula 1 car or something? ;)

> Roadster with AWD. I want to use my supercar during winter! [patp]

Assuming you have good snow tires on today's Roadster, the limitation is not one of traction but the 6 inch travel height. AWD would allow driving above the steepness limit one might encounter somewhere or other, but I've yet to find such a steepness on normally travelled roads.
--

> Roadster with AWD. I want to use my supercar during winter! [patp]

Assuming you have good snow tires on today's Roadster, the limitation is not one of traction but the 6 inch travel height. AWD would allow driving above the steepness limit one might encounter somewhere or other, but I've yet to find such a steepness on normally travelled roads.
--

The Roadster is quite good in the snow. But I was talking more in a perfect world (supercar performance, convertible hardtop, Model S comfort, supercharging. AWD, adjustable suspension)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure we won't hear anything for a few years. They still have to do Model 3 and Model Y first, which includes getting the Gigafactory up and running at full swing. Heck, they still need to get the upgrade pack out for the original Roadsters.