Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lloyd, I believe the next Roadster is years away. Tesla has its hands full with putting the Model 3 into production and ramping up Tesla Energy and a thousand other more pressing matters.
Certainly Elon is looking forward to building the next Roadster and it will happen at some point, but it will likely be a relatively low volume vehicle and not contribute in a significant way to Tesla's success or to the overall electrification of the global transportation fleet. An EV pickup truck would have a much bigger impact in the North American market.

Given the projected size of the Model 3, adding a second motor and a carbon-composite body would be a really simple way to make a Roadster II.
I don't agree. The Model 3 will surely have a Dual Motor option anyway, and the 3 chassis will be much larger than is necessary for a 2-seat Roadster.
If the next Tesla "sports car" is not a roadster style vehicle (which historically is by definition is a 2-seat car with an open top) but instead is a 2+2 sports car, then the 3 chassis might work.
But I am hoping that the next Roadster will in fact be a true roadster with only 2 seats and an openable top and significantly smaller in exterior dimensions than the Model 3. In base form I hope it has a single motor to keep the cost down, with a high performance Dual Motor option.

The next-gen Roadster/Sports car/Model Y will undoubtedly be pointed squarely at the 911 market. Expect similar levels of luxury, size, etc. although with "Maximum plaid" speed that should challenge the 918. The market size of people willing to pay big money for an updated version of our Roadster is tiny. Those people will buy Evoras and Miatas (or in ecarfan's case, Caymans). There's a reason the 911 has morphed into the car it is today - market demand. The 911 market is much more attractive (larger market and even larger profit margins) than a true Roadster (look at 911 vs Cayman sales even though the Cayman is a superior handling car).

As for re-using the Model 3 chassis. It's possible. A 911 is about 6" shorter overall than a BMW M3 but the 911's wheelbase is 14" shorter. But I think they'll build a new chassis.

+1

Given that JB has stated that Model 3 is mostly new technology, that seems an excellent reason for all that development/investment.

But by the time development starts on the next gen Roadster much may have changed. The 3, the Y, the S refresh - maybe even the Roadster 3.0 upgrade :wink:

On reflection, I'm not sure that we can compare Tesla to the likes of Aston Martin - in the sense that they develop a single platform for a number of vehicle variants.

Tesla's development cycle is too rapid for that. Or at least it should be - unless Elon demands a "Falcon feature" whereupon time slows to a crawl.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
2018-Infiniti-Q100-rear-view.jpg

If the future Model R is anything like this, I'll sell my kidney to put the Founder's deposit down :tongue: JK... I'm pretty sure it will end up being a Hardtop Convertible, and not a Coupe. :smile:

It's fascinating to see that the impact of Tesla is such that even the likes of Sergio Marchionne feel compelled to comment on the place of the electric drivetrain.

No surprise to discover that he's in the "automotive abomination" camp.

Which is fine.

What's the point of Maximum Plaid if there's no one to race? :)

Last edited:
I would take that bet against you.

They are not going to abandon their basic design layout. It would probably be based off the 3 although with more aluminum content for weight reduction.

I suspect they might have 4 motors at some point, but never in the wheel. With suspension systems the motor and CV joint setup is a better design and less inertia.

If they had 2 motors back to back in the same locations now, you could have True torque vectoring. The problem with the drive systems on any car today located in the front is that uneven torque applied to the front wheel causes Torque steer. A few manufactures build the transmission so it has symmetrical output shaft to help alleviate this problem (Mini and Subaru as examples) but during turns and when one wheel looses traction these systems are still flawed.

With Teslas ability to minutely control torque and at split second reaction times. They could eliminate this flaw.

In the Roadster they could have four motors. And in other models have three motors. Duel motors made a huge difference, it's possible four could as well. But it's also possible it would have diminishing returns and in that case might just be used and the roadster for pure drive performance.

I also really wonder if there will be a next gen roadster. I know Elon has mentioned it. But I have always wondered if we would get more of a GT coupe or super car instead. I think something similar to a Porsche GT3, Corvette, Nissan GT-R, Audi R8 or other purpose build road car.

I like roadsters but Elon has shown a desire since the roadster for a more useful vehicle, although if they built something similar to a BMW Z4 there is a fair bit of frunk and trunk space.