Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NH registration info and Paint Protection Film installer help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
Took ownership of a new Model X in Sept. Through some end of quarter shenanigans I got someone else's title in the mail with my registration packet. I only discovered this as I went to the DMV in Utah to register it and obviously all the info was wrong. Anyway, returned the incorrect title to Tesla service, they apologized, and said they would get my correct title in the mail post haste.

Well it's been 6 weeks and no title, so my car still isn't registered. Not a big deal, as shortly after my DMV snafu, I had to move back home to NH for the winter. Since I'm essentially living in NH now. Figured since I live back east now, I'll register the car back in NH and save many thousands on sales tax. Anything I need to know? I asked the lady at the town office where I'm living, and she just said to bring in the title and sale thingy and I'll pay a (much smaller) registration fee and that's it, but it seems too easy. I still have a Utah license, and currently the car is insured in Utah, it's just not registered yet, I have temp tags. (and I don't actually have the car, it's been in service for 6 weeks fixing all my delivery issues, but no biggie)

And while I'm back east, anyone have a good recommendation for PPF install in lovely tax free NH? Looking for a full body wrap on the X. The best shop in Utah is expensive, just under $9k after tax, but you get what you pay for with them and I know they do incredible work. Still, $9k is $9k, I'd love a cheaper option if there's a quality shop who knows how to work with Model X in NH.

Previously on my older S I got a front end wrap and window tint at Tint-King in Billerica MA. They did an incredible job, and I would go back to them but at the time I didn't even think about the sales tax. Also I initially went to them as they were the only place I could find to do Photosync. I got the wrap as they offered a deal on the spot so I took it, wasn't originally part of my plan.

I also registered my Tesla in NH. It took foreeeeeever for them to get the title to me.

As long as you have it in-hand, have a temp license, and go to town hall you should be all good to register.

I used Tint King in Billerica for wrap and tint. Couldn’t find anyone in southern NH that works on anything other than Hondas and the like.

As long as you have it in-hand, have a temp license, and go to town hall you should be all good to register.
@Fiver doesn't need a NH license, temporary or otherwise. NH offers a non-resident registration for "vehicles garaged exclusively in New Hampshire." IANAL, but registration agents at Town Hall will tell you the vehicle cannot leave NH and the registration is not valid outside of NH, but I never found that anywhere on the books in NH. I suppose neighboring states might choose not to honor it; but I've never tested that.

I believe they will issue a NH title that you can use to register back in Utah, but check on that. I've only used the non-resident registration for title exempt vehicles (old beater cars in my college days and later small boat trailers at the lake house).

@Fiver For PPF, paint correction, and detailing I am extremely happy with Northeast Detailing in Hooksett NH. Northeast Detailing Getting my Model 3 done, they were WAY cheaper than $9k. They're willing to use a few different types of PPF, but I went with the one they use on most of their customer cars. I also got ceramic coating on my glass and the rest of the entire car.

I have no affiliation with them whatsoever except being a happy customer.

@Fiver doesn't need a NH license, temporary or otherwise. NH offers a non-resident registration for "vehicles garaged exclusively in New Hampshire." IANAL, but registration agents at Town Hall will tell you the vehicle cannot leave NH and the registration is not valid outside of NH, but I never found that anywhere on the books in NH. I suppose neighboring states might choose not to honor it; but I've never tested that.

I believe they will issue a NH title that you can use to register back in Utah, but check on that. I've only used the non-resident registration for title exempt vehicles (old beater cars in my college days and later small boat trailers at the lake house).

I guess you could do that if you wanted to pay sales tax and never have the vehicle leave NH. Not sure why OP would.

I guess you could do that if you wanted to pay sales tax and never have the vehicle leave NH. Not sure why OP would.

Based on this quote, it doesn't sound like the OP has paid sales tax yet:
I'll register the car back in NH and save many thousands on sales tax
As I understand it, the "exclusively garaged in NH" thing is less about the occasional overnight trip to VT. The real issue is that MA residents with vacation homes in NH were abusing it (or perceived to be abusing it). Registering cars in NH that lived in MA and should really have been registered in MA, getting in accidents in greater Boston and driving up insurance rates for real NH residents, etc.

Originally the law said "principally garaged in NH", which gave some wiggle room. It was changed to "exclusively garaged" a few years ago.

Last edited:
Another thing, currently the car is in Utah. Will they need to see it in person in NH to register it? I’m not driving it as I actually drove my Subaru back to NH for my move. The Tesla (once I get it back from service) will sit in my garage in Utah not being driven.
I can drive the Tesla back to NH but I’d prefer to not put all those miles on the car. I planned on it just sitting there for a year before I move back to Utah.

Another thing, currently the car is in Utah. Will they need to see it in person in NH to register it? I’m not driving it as I actually drove my Subaru back to NH for my move. The Tesla (once I get it back from service) will sit in my garage in Utah not being driven.
I can drive the Tesla back to NH but I’d prefer to not put all those miles on the car. I planned on it just sitting there for a year before I move back to Utah.

So the car is staying in Utah but you are moving to NH temporarily?

In that case you likely cannot register it in NH at all.

They will need to see the car for inspection and your insurance company may want to phyiscally come and see where it is garaged and take photos (mine did).

I'm confused. If the X is in Utah, why are you looking for a PPF installer in NH?

They will not need to see it to register it. However, it sounds like you don't need a registration. You could probably get away with a title-only transaction (and not pay the high excise/property tax due at registration). Get a title in your name to complete the purchase and make it legally yours. When you go back to Utah, surrender the NH title and get a UT title and registration.

Are you keeping your Utah residency and license, or switching to NH? You will probably want to get comprehensive coverage at a minimum, in case your garage burns down, or the X is stolen. I don't know if you can do this in Utah. You can get comprehensive-only in NH for a car you aren't driving.

So the car is staying in Utah but you are moving to NH temporarily?

In that case you likely cannot register it in NH at all.

They will need to see the car for inspection and your insurance company may want to phyiscally come and see where it is garaged and take photos (mine did).
The state doesn't need to see the car to title or title/register. You do need a NH state inspection within 10 days of registering before driving it, however.

I've done title-only transactions in NH for non-running project cars so that I can complete the transaction and cancel the seller's title. No inspections necessary.

You are right; insurance may be tricky. The only times I've had insurance inspections was (a) when I moved to MA and brought cars with me and (b) after having collision repairs in MA. Nationwide has never inspected my cars moving to NH or bought after the move to NH.

As o
I'm confused. If the X is in Utah, why are you looking for a PPF installer in NH?

They will not need to see it to register it. However, it sounds like you don't need a registration. You could probably get away with a title-only transaction (and not pay the high excise/property tax due at registration). Get a title in your name to complete the purchase and make it legally yours. When you go back to Utah, surrender the NH title and get a UT title and registration.

Are you keeping your Utah residency and license, or switching to NH? You will probably want to get comprehensive coverage at a minimum, in case your garage burns down, or the X is stolen. I don't know if you can do this in Utah. You can get comprehensive-only in NH for a car you aren't driving.

The state doesn't need to see the car to title or title/register. You do need a NH state inspection within 10 days of registering before driving it, however.

I've done title-only transactions in NH for non-running project cars so that I can complete the transaction and cancel the seller's title. No inspections necessary.

You are right; insurance may be tricky. The only times I've had insurance inspections was (a) when I moved to MA and brought cars with me and (b) after having collision repairs in MA. Nationwide has never inspected my cars moving to NH or bought after the move to NH.

As of right now, the car is in Utah. I was looking into PPF options in NH in the event I have to drive the car back to NH to get it registered there. If I don't have to bring the car to NH, and it stays in Utah, then the car won't be moving while I'm in NH, so not a huge deal if I don't have plates on it there or anything. Yea, was thinking minimal insurance since it will be safely stored in my garage and not on the roads in UT. I've never had insurance inspect any of my cars, I've always just got insurance over the phone.

/edit. Question about the safety inspection. Since it won't be on the road, will I still need to get that done? Or can I register it, get the NH title, and then in 6 months to a year when I move back to UT I can just transfer the title to Utah? (Reminder that while I'm in NH the car is in Utah, won't be driven, will be in the garage.)

/edit. Question about the safety inspection. Since it won't be on the road, will I still need to get that done? Or can I register it, get the NH title, and then in 6 months to a year when I move back to UT I can just transfer the title to Utah? (Reminder that while I'm in NH the car is in Utah, won't be driven, will be in the garage.)
IANAL, but RSA 266:1, II says "Any vehicle registered under this title, except an OHRV, snowmobile, moped, or other exempt vehicle, shall be inspected once a year." It doesn't say anything about titled, but not registered.

IANAL, but RSA 266:1, II says "Any vehicle registered under this title, except an OHRV, snowmobile, moped, or other exempt vehicle, shall be inspected once a year." It doesn't say anything about titled, but not registered.
OK, well, that being said, can I title the car in NH? I guess since it won't be on the road I don't really need to get the full blown registration. I'm sure there are plenty of examples where this is the case. For example people buying classic cars for collection purposes need a title showing they own the car, even if the car will never be driven public roads.

Or farm vehicles that never leave the farm....

OK, well, that being said, can I title the car in NH? I guess since it won't be on the road I don't really need to get the full blown registration. I'm sure there are plenty of examples where this is the case. For example people buying classic cars for collection purposes need a title showing they own the car, even if the car will never be driven public roads.

Or farm vehicles that never leave the farm....
When I was a MA resident, I bought a boat to keep at the lake. I registered and titled the trailer (5000 lb gross, no titles on trailers <3000 lbs gross) as a non-resident. The trailer was never leaving NH (or even the town), so I saw no need to pay 2x for a MA registration. There is nothing on the title that says "non-resident," other than a MA mailing address on the title.

After becoming a NH resident, I bought a non-running Porsche 944 that I titled only without registering (since it needed lots of work to be driveable/pass inspection). I never got anything from the DMV in the mail about it other than the title.

But I've never done a title-only as a non-resident. Call your town clerk and ask them; they'll know what to do. Registrations and title are done at town hall in NH.

But I've never done a title-only as a non-resident. Call your town clerk and ask them; they'll know what to do. Registrations and title are done at town hall in NH.

I guess that is what it comes down to. I'd prefer to keep my Utah license but if push comes to shove I can officially transplant myself and get one in NH to help move the process along. Titling the car in NH would save me almost $15,000 compared to doing it in UT, even if it means I don't get to drive it for 6 months to a year.

This thread got off the rails, huh? :D

A vehicle does not need to be present to register it. Garaging your car in UT, you'll need to tell your insurance company because any reason they can deny a claim, they'll use. Letting the car sit stationary for a year is a bad idea, and you should expect to buy new tires when you do try to drive it.

Generally speaking, not driving a vehicle is bad for it. Even an EV. Insuring the vehicle with an NH title but leaving the vehicle in UT may be looked at by UT as a tax dodge, which it is. They can come after you not only for the tax owed, but also penalties, interest, and fines. This just happened in Georgia with people registering their vehicles in Montana. Don't mess around with this, you will regret it. And again, if you're keeping the vehicle in UT but insuring it under an NH title, your insurance company may outright reject any claims due to the tax fraud.

If you're not changing your residency, you may have a difficult time with all of this, but that's another issue entirely. If you just use the vehicles seasonally, ask your insurance company about seasonal insurance. Lots of motorcycle riders and snowbirds have seasonal insurance policies on their vehicles, and when combined with low annual mileage, it can save you some serious money. But it effectively means you won't have any collision coverage during the off-season, so make sure you don't drive it at all during that time.