Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA Finds Tesla Accident Rate Drops 40% After Autosteer Installed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lawsuit: NHTSA Ignored Freedom of Information Act Request

QCS wants to know if NHTSA used scientific methods to validate the tests and if the results can be replicated. In addition, the company wants to know if the alleged reduction in crash rates is due to Autosteer itself and if the decreased crash rates are expected to continue.

"The surprising claim by NHTSA of an extraordinary reduction in crash rates associated with the installation of Autosteer must be carefully considered in the context of the Agency's failure to allow public access to the underlying data. Such an important conclusion by the Agency should not be based on data that the government is withholding from researchers who want to examine NHTSA's results." - Quality Control Systems

In March 2017, NHTSA responded to QCS by saying the agency was issuing “an interim response to your FOIA request dated February 24, 2017," and was “extending by ten working days the time period by which the agency must provide a response.”

Further, NHTSA said it needed additional time "to search for and collect the requested records from field facilities or other establishments that are separate from the office processing the request.” Finally, the letter stated that NHTSA expected to provide a response by April 14, 2017.

However, QCS says that communication was the last it heard from NHTSA.

The Quality Control Systems Freedom of Information Act request lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia - Quality Control Systems Corp. v. U.S. Department of Transportation.

Footnotes to the actual report:

In other words, they are comparing the crash rates in the same vehicle pool before and after autopilot (more particularly Auto Steering) was enabled, and ignoring whether it was in use or not at the time. This is extremely impressive.
More a question than a statement:
Is AutoSteer something people pay for ?

If so, then the driver group differences may be part of the result difference.

It is almost always the case in real world applications that data are imperfect
Sure, but then the conclusions should have embedded confidence intervals.

I would like to see Tesla randomly choose a set of owners whom did not voluntarily choose to pay for the feature receive free activation. Compare that group to those without the feature.

It just seems to me fairly likely that the drivers who pay for AP tend as a group to not be aggressive drivers and choose to drive close to the speed limit.

Last edited:
QCS are asking to see the data.
Most importantly what is the sample size used that can justify the conclusion that Autopilot is 40% safer.
It seems that the publication of this finding and its replication across the web is causing Tesla users to overestimate the capabilities and safety of the Tesla Autopilot.
It seems unlikely that this 40% claim can be reliable unless the sample size is in the several thousands.
(of crashes that caused a Tesla airbag deployment)

Hah! Based on what?
A hunch, and I hope a little common sense.

Do people routinely set TACC at 90+ mph ? I don't
Do people set TACC and then tailgate ? Weave in and out of traffic ?

That the AP group have strongly self-selected themselves by virtue of paying $5,000 - $6,000 for the privilege is fact, so tread lightly when drawing conclusions from comparisons with a non-similar group.

Last edited:
NHTSA report
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2016/INCLA-PE16007-7876.PDF

"5.4 Crash rates. ODI analyzed mileage and airbag deployment data supplied by Tesla for all MY 2014 through 2016 Model S and 2016 Model X vehicles equipped with the Autopilot Technology Package, either installed in the vehicle when sold or through an OTA update, to calculate crash rates by miles travelled prior to21 and after Autopilot installation.22 Figure 11 shows the rates calculated by ODI for airbag deployment crashes in the subject Tesla vehicles before and after Autosteer installation. The data show that the Tesla vehicles crash rate dropped by almost 40 percent after Autosteer installation"

AIRBAG DEPLOYMENTS!
So how many airbag deployments were there?
Tesla is being rather coy.
Lawsuit: NHTSA Ignored Freedom of Information Act Request

A hunch, and I hope a little common sense.

Do people routinely set TACC at 90+ mph ? I don't
Do people set TACC and then tailgate ? Weave in and out of traffic ?

That the AP group have strongly self-selected themselves by virtue of paying $5,000 - $6,000 for the privilege is fact, so tread lightly when drawing conclusions from comparisons with a non-similar group.
Giving a simple example...

I have a non-AP, had an AP1 car, and have an AP2 car. So doesn't that make any generalized assertion about "AP driver" vs. "non-AP driver" kind of, well, confused by my data point? (Regardless of how I drive.)