Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nighttime blind spot detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
In the daytime, I really like the new blindspot monitor which shows little (dancing) rectangles approach me from the rear. Unfortunately, this feature is almost useless at night. I can see a car behind me in my mirror, but it does not appear on the screen. I have also had cars approach on either side at night but not appear at all. It's not working well enough to trust it.

If you turned your turn signals on, it highlights the lane you intend to turn into in red (if it detects something in the blindspot). That works flawlessly all the time.

The reason I'm saying that is, the dancing rectangles are primarily the camera feedback, the blindspot monitoring also include the radar or ultrasound sensor info being relayed to the control unit. I don't think Tesla have effectively 'fused' all that sensor information yet for the driver's screen. With lane changes being a huge part of navigate on autopilot, I think there is enough redundancy baked in to handle that situation.

Have you tried that?

Reactions: shrfu31 and XtheGas