Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nissan Leaf Breaks Electric Car Convoy Record With 225 Cars, let's do it with our S??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just did a rough map estimate of miles, maybe start in Gilroy then to San Francisco and across the Bay Bridge to end up at the Tesla Motors Fremont Factory for approx 118 miles? Thoughts?

Do a loop that's less than 60 miles.
For one, I don't want to worry about charging my car somewhere other than home.
For two, I don't want to spend 4 hours on this event.

Do a loop that's less than 60 miles.
For one, I don't want to worry about charging my car somewhere other than home.
For two, I don't want to spend 4 hours on this event.

The point is to go over 100 miles, the limit of the range of all other EV's out there, the Leaf can't do that, am I right?

In regards to the distance, according to Google Maps it's about ~79 miles from Gilroy to San Francisco then cross the Bay Bridge to Fremont and that's an additional 38 miles for a total of 2 hours of drive time. Not a HUGE commitment... :)

Last edited:
The point is to go over 100 miles, the limit of the range of all other EV's out there, the Leaf can't do that, am I right?

In regards to the distance, according to Google Maps it's about ~79 miles from Gilroy to San Francisco then cross the Bay Bridge to Fremont and that's an additional 38 miles for a total of 2 hours of drive time. Not a HUGE commitment... :)

plus the time to get to Gilroy and get home from Fremont.
It's too much of a commitment for me.
Folks that live in San Francisco will need to drive some 240 miles, which is do-able with a range charge, but it's starting to be on the edge and would exclude 60 kWh cars. Folks from the North Bay would need to charge. You're talking about hundreds of Model S drivers, so the handful of supercharger stations in Gilroy are going to be full.

If you want to break the 225 car record, do a short trip.

my $0.02,
Derek

plus the time to get to Gilroy and get home from Fremont.
It's too much of a commitment for me.
Folks that live in San Francisco will need to drive some 240 miles, which is do-able with a range charge, but it's starting to be on the edge and would exclude 60 kWh cars. Folks from the North Bay would need to charge. You're talking about hundreds of Model S drivers, so the handful of supercharger stations in Gilroy are going to be full.

If you want to break the 225 car record, do a short trip.

my $0.02,
Derek

I am totally cool with that, this is why we have discussions... :) I honestly would just love to get a mass of Model S' together, meet some of you guys in person and parade our cars even if it's a short burst down the 280. Question is, what is the best place to meet for everyone and the route we should all take? I am open to suggestions and to be honest, planning is not a strong point for me! :D

I would think we could meet at the Fremont factory. Are they working Sundays? Either way, there's a whole mess of parking lot not really getting used. We'd probably want to give Tesla a heads up on what we were doing. We might also want to alert some news agency.

I would think we would want to go at exactly the speed limit. I would think we'd want to use fewer than half the lanes on any multi-lane road that we used (i.e., we'd generally want to stay in a single lane).

If we made a loop around the Dumbarton, 101, and 237, it would be about 43 miles.