Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No 7 seat configuration possible for Performance Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an order for a 7-Seater Performance Model Y from early last year.

I contacted my SA and he confirmed that there are no plans to build the 7 seat option for the Performance. No details were given why or if this is a definitive or temporary thing.

After waiting almost a year, I decided to just call it and downgrade to a LRAWD. I'll get better range, more practical tires, and save thousands.

Could be a number of things. Extra weight lowering 0-60 and/or range? Sliding center seat and 3rd row can't take neck-snapping acceleration? Lowered suspension with 21" wheel/tires can't take the extra weight over them in the rear or the clearance with body pan is reduced? Ride for 3rd row passengers sitting directly over the rear wheels in the Perf proved so unacceptably stiff and bumpy they could hit their heads on the roof?

Reactions: Olle
The motor is on the chassis, which is not considered the body.
It is a unibody design, not a body on frame. There is no separate chassis that is independent of the body.

But whatever you want to call you structure that holds the motor, it is in the same position relative to the seats on all model y variants. On the performance version everything other than the wheels is lower to the ground. The height difference comes from the suspension.

Yes the entire body is lower which also includes the motors.

LOL, Tesla only offers 5 colors to simplify manufacturing, but for some strange reason, they came up with a whole new body for one of their trims??

I don't think so.

They don't make the 7 seater performance because they don't feel like it. If and when they do feel like it, they will make it.

Reactions: Lozzy
My theory is they are working on the suspension of the performance before they offer a 7 seat. It would ride pretty bad with 7 people in there even if two are children. Maybe air suspension on the horizon.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
It is a unibody design, not a body on frame. There is no separate chassis that is independent of the body.

But whatever you want to call you structure that holds the motor, it is in the same position relative to the seats on all model y variants. On the performance version everything other than the wheels is lower to the ground. The height difference comes from the suspension.
Thanks for the correction.

I ordered the stealth 7-seat model Y performance a long time ago because I wanted a 7 seat Tesla that could do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and have a good amount of range (with FSD) for around $70k. I'd be cool with Tesla just giving me a 7-seat Model X long range (maybe even with a performance upgrade) for the same price. Sound fair? lol

Edit: BTW, my $2500 deposit would be worth over $30,000 now if I would have just bought TSLA instead of reserving this car that will never come...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: TrevTremaine
LOL, Tesla only offers 5 colors to simplify manufacturing, but for some strange reason, they came up with a whole new body for one of their trims??

I don't think so.

They don't make the 7 seater performance because they don't feel like it. If and when they do feel like it, they will make it.
I...don't think that anyone's implying it's a whole different body for the Performance. That would be incredibly silly. It's pretty obvious that by "lower", it means that the suspension lowers the car (body) further than the other trims.

But as for your last statement...I think you're spot on. My guess is there's nothing stopping Tesla from making a Performance 7 seater other than the fact that they just don't feel like it.

...sure, there's concern about added weight which will slow down the 0-60, probably some minor concerns about the suspension or ride quality... or maybe they just feel like it's an unpopular combo? Most folks who want the performance will probably only want 5 seats.

• Helpful
Reactions: cypho
I...don't think that anyone's implying it's a whole different body for the Performance. That would be incredibly silly. It's pretty obvious that by "lower", it means that the suspension lowers the car (body) further than the other trims.

I think this guy did:

The entire body is lower, which includes the cabin. That means less clearance between motors and cabin.

Since the motors are bolted to the body, something radical would have to be different to cause the motors to have less clearance with the cabin.

Reactions: DanDi58