Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No AP or Cruise control today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
So far today my car has not offered any AP or Cruise Control.
I don't get any steering wheel symbol on my display.

I tried the screen "power off" and dual-scroll wheel reset, but still nothing.

I am planning to give it another day before requesting service.

Have others had this problem?

Yes other threads on here and on MS forum. Sounds like it could be Sentry mode related. My husband had it pop up on his MS and based on others advice turned off Sentry. His TACC came back when he was driving home and he was able to turn Sentry back on afterwards and hasn’t had a problem so far. He may have left his car in between turning off and driving again.

Interestingly this problem has existed for some on different update versions but not everyone seemingly affected. My husband had just received 16.2 where he had Sentry available for the first time. I think Sentry was also available in their software version for the other Model 3 owners who reported loss of AP, headlight issues, and wiper issues too. Owners who took their car in have reported Tesla is aware of the issue.

Do yo still see the lane lines and the cars around you on the display?

I don't think so... I think the lane lines and cars were missing.

I do use Sentry mode and have it on by default with this new update.
I will try turning it off and see if AP comes back again.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't think so... I think the lane lines and cars were missing.
That could indicate that the Autopilot computer has crashed. Sometimes it'll also leave the automatic headlights on even if it's full daylight. Basically everything that depends on the computer vision system stops working. This happens to me every once in a while (more often with some firmware versions than others), and the only thing that helps is to let the car go to sleep (i.e. turn off Sentry, dog mode, monitoring apps etc. and let it sit for 15 minutes or so). When it comes back up, everything works again (presumably because the AP computer reboots).

If that's the cause, it could indeed indirectly be related to Sentry (since it keeps the car awake).

Last edited:
Reactions: bedoig
Yes, I am going to try the reset procedure suggested in the other thread.

I did recently start using Sentry mode always on with the 16.2 update, so maybe it is an issue with not letting the AP computer ever reset during sleep time.

That could indicate that the Autopilot computer has crashed. Sometimes it'll also leave the automatic headlights on even if it's full daylight.

I did notice exactly that the other day! No lane lines were shown on the automation despite very clear road markings and my headlights were on despite it being a clear, sunny afternoon.

But I never use Sentry mode. (Although I do have a USB stick plugged in for dashcam recording.) And the problem went away on it's own by the time of my next drive.

That could indicate that the Autopilot computer has crashed. Sometimes it'll also leave the automatic headlights on even if it's full daylight. Basically everything that depends on the computer vision system stops working. This happens to me every once in a while (more often with some firmware versions than others), and the only thing that helps is to let the car go to sleep (i.e. turn off Sentry, dog mode, monitoring apps etc. and let it sit for 15 minutes or so). When it comes back up, everything works again (presumably because the AP computer reboots).

If that's the cause, it could indeed indirectly be related to Sentry (since it keeps the car awake).
^^^This. Has happened to me a couple times the last week. Letting the car sleep has been the only solution. The scroll wheel reset only reboots the MCU, not the AP computer.

I did notice exactly that the other day! No lane lines were shown on the automation despite very clear road markings and my headlights were on despite it being a clear, sunny afternoon.

But I never use Sentry mode. (Although I do have a USB stick plugged in for dashcam recording.) And the problem went away on it's own by the time of my next drive.

^^^This. Has happened to me a couple times the last week. Letting the car sleep has been the only solution. The scroll wheel reset only reboots the MCU, not the AP computer.

Okay count me in this group that also lost AP/TACC on my drive home from work yesterday.

Driving on a 4 lane freeway and noticed no lane lines were being picked up on the display and my headlights were also on during full daylight. As @HelixSpiral noted, rebooting with the scroll wheel only reboots the MCU. A few minutes later after driving the AP computer rebooted and came back online and AP/TACC was restored. (Running software v2019.12.1.2)

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Yes, letting my car sleep fixed the problem (for now). It does make sense that maybe the AP computer got wedged due to constant on Sentry mode. (slow "memory leak?")

I did have this problem a month ago. Tried a bunch of the suggestions without any good results. Wound up asking Tesla to re-flash the firmware (not update, just re-push what's there via wireless). That fixed the problem.

Since then I received a new firmware version update. It's stayed working just fine (knock on wood)