Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No audio bug in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which version are you running?

Currently 2018.50.6, but I've probably been through 5-6 different software updates since this issue has started, and none of them have been notably better than any other version.

100% correct. It has happened to me a few times over the past couple weeks. Each time I have been able to get the audio back doing just what you said.

The resetting the menu inside the vehicle has not worked at all to reset the audio. It resets the touch screen each time, but I still do not get audio until I do what PoiNarf said to do.

Really? Huh. I thought shutting down via the screen worked for everyone.

When you've shut down via the screen, do you wait ~5 seconds (at least a couple seconds after the interior lights have gone completely dark) before hitting the brake pedal to wake the car back up?

I've had 100% success that way. And being able to do it in a matter of seconds from inside the car while at a stop light without drawing any attention to myself is highly preferable to having to exit the car, close the door, and then re-open the door and get back in IMO. But to each their own.

Last edited:
Currently 2018.50.6, but I've probably been through 5-6 different software updates since this issue has started, and none of them have been notably better than any other version.

Really? Huh. I thought shutting down via the screen worked for everyone.

When you've shut down via the screen, do you wait ~5 seconds (at least a couple seconds after the interior lights have gone completely dark) before hitting the brake pedal to wake the car back up?

I've had 100% success that way. And being able to do it in a matter of seconds from inside the car while at a stop light without drawing any attention to myself is highly preferable to having to exit the car, close the door, and the re-open the door and get back in IMO. But to each their own.

I misunderstood you I think. How do I do a shut down via the screen? I was thinking just the two button display reset on the steering wheel.

I misunderstood you I think. How do I do a shut down via the screen? I was thinking just the two button display reset on the steering wheel.

Ah.

upload_2019-2-21_19-3-41.png

Gotta be in Park for the "Power Off" button to be available. Otherwise it's grayed out.

You have to hit power off and wait for two minutes for the car to fully power off. Getting in and out of the car is much faster.

When I had this issue, vehicle power off did not work for me me

As has been repeated over and over in this thread, you only have to wait ~5 seconds. Or if you want to play it extra safe, maybe wait 10 seconds. But def not 2 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Does this only happen when you’ve had a long boot time? For example, you get in car, press brake, it takes about 20 seconds for Tesla logo to show up and then another 10 seconds until you are able to do anything? I have this audio issue every time I have a long boot time.

Powering off for a few seconds fixes it every time for me. (Be sure to keep your foot off the brake when you power down, otherwise it won’t work.)

Has anyone found a permanent fix? Computer replacement maybe? I’ve had MULTIPLE firmware and software updates and the problem never goes away. Been to the service center multiple times too. They are always clueless. I got the car March 2018.

Is it happening to newer cars (late 2018/early 2019)?

Does this only happen when you’ve had a long boot time? For example, you get in car, press brake, it takes about 20 seconds for Tesla logo to show up and then another 10 seconds until you are able to do anything?

In short, no.

I very rarely have the screen not come on within seconds of entering the car, yet I experience the no-audio bug semi-frequently.

In my case, there may be some correlation between the audio bug and there screen not turning on immediately (i.e., instead of the screen turning on right after I open the door, it turns on seconds later, responding only after I’ve pressed the brake pedal.) But any such correlation is far enough below 100% that I’m not even certain that it exists at all.

I've only had this happen to me once (a couple of weeks ago), and it was very eerie to drive with no sounds at all (media didn't work either). When I got to my destination, I did power off through the screen, and then waited until the climate system shut off before pressing the brake to wake the car up again. When I did that, all was fine. This was on 2018.50.6.

Also, doesn't appear to be limited to newer cars, as mine was built in June 2018.

Reactions: acina
In short, no.

I very rarely have the screen not come on within seconds of entering the car, yet I experience the no-audio bug semi-frequently.

In my case, there may be some correlation between the audio bug and there screen not turning on immediately (i.e., instead of the screen turning on right after I open the door, it turns on seconds later, responding only after I’ve pressed the brake pedal.) But any such correlation is far enough below 100% that I’m not even certain that it exists at all.

You’ve NEVER had to wait more than a second or two for the screen to come on?! When was yours built? I have to wait a good 20 seconds just for the logo to appear. (I thought the boot and audio issues were related. It’s good to know they are not.)

I've only had this happen to me once (a couple of weeks ago), and it was very eerie to drive with no sounds at all (media didn't work either). When I got to my destination, I did power off through the screen, and then waited until the climate system shut off before pressing the brake to wake the car up again. When I did that, all was fine. This was on 2018.50.6.

Also, doesn't appear to be limited to newer cars, as mine was built in June 2018.

Mine was built March 2018. I’m wondering if it’s happening to older cars more than newer ones.

Mine started out happening once or twice a month then it slowly increased to a few time a week.

Yeah, I am still having the issue on 46.2

It seems to happen when my screen is slow to start-up.

When I get in my car sometimes the screen wakes up right away with the UI showing, and other times I see T logo for a long time before the UI appears.
It is during those long delay startups that the audio may fail to come on.

Are others having that same symptom of screen having to "boot up" sometimes when getting in the car?
I thought it was normal (but annoying) but other people are now telling me that their Model 3s don't do that.

By the way, I asked two different service people about this, and they "checked my logs for errors", but didn't see any, and just said "it shouldn't' do that", but offered no idea of how to fix it.

That’s EXACTLY what’s happening to me. No audio pretty much every time there’s a slow boot. Tesla tech people seem to have no idea what’s wrong. I consider it a safety hazard. I can’t lock my doors right away and no warning sounds seems like a hazard too.

My M3 is from June. The no audio bug started happening after a software update sometime late last year. It would happen about 1/3 of the time. The frequency of it occurring went down significantly after another update in January, but it still happens perhaps once or twice a week. The car almost always has to boot up when I get in and that takes about 20 seconds or so. If I use the app to preheat the car, then it will have booted up before I get in. The only safety issue I can see is that the collision warning would almost certainly not work. I usually don't notice it until I am already driving, so I don't bother to try to reboot. I can confirm that doing the soft reboot does not work, but walking away for a minute has worked. I haven't tried the reboot through the menu yet.

Reactions: acina
My M3 is from June. The no audio bug started happening after a software update sometime late last year. It would happen about 1/3 of the time. The frequency of it occurring went down significantly after another update in January, but it still happens perhaps once or twice a week. The car almost always has to boot up when I get in and that takes about 20 seconds or so. If I use the app to preheat the car, then it will have booted up before I get in. The only safety issue I can see is that the collision warning would almost certainly not work. I usually don't notice it until I am already driving, so I don't bother to try to reboot. I can confirm that doing the soft reboot does not work, but walking away for a minute has worked. I haven't tried the reboot through the menu yet.

I have the slow boot issue almost daily. I have to wait 30 seconds before I can do anything... lock doors, see reverse camera, etc. I’ve discovered the no audio and slow boot aren’t related. I can’t seem to find any threads on the slow boot issue though. The audio thing is inconvenient and possibly dangerous (no warning sounds), but not being able to lock my car doors for 30 seconds is a little scary at times (as a female with two kids).

I took delivery of my M3 in September. I have had the no Audio Bug happen about once a month. the Slow boot happens daily. If my car has in completely shut down, I takes multiple tries to get the app to wake up the car. My car also hasn't received an update since e v9.0. Mine doesn't seem to be in Tesla's rotation for updates anymore.

You’ve NEVER had to wait more than a second or two for the screen to come on?! When was yours built? I have to wait a good 20 seconds just for the logo to appear. (I thought the boot and audio issues were related. It’s good to know they are not.)

Well, "vary rarely" ≠ "never". :p

I've had it happen, but only on rare occasions. Maybe once a month or so (just a guess) it'll stay black for a few seconds and then show the Tesla logo for awhile longer before the screen fully boots up.

Mine was built in June '18. My brother's was built right around the same time, but he has suffered this issue a lot more frequently, so idk if build date has anything to do with it.

My M3 is from June. The no audio bug started happening after a software update sometime late last year.

The audio bug didn't happen to me at all for the first ~3 months of ownership and only started in early November, so I also think it must be software driven. And it seems to happen more frequently when the car has been off/asleep/not charging for longer periods of time. If I leave the car for only an hour or two, idk if it ever happens. But 8+ hours, it's much more likely.

Last edited:
I had the same problem. Touch screen reboot, power off, and factory reset — I tried it all several times and none of it fixed the problem. So I drove to the Owings Mills, MD service center today without an appointment and they took care of me right away. They re-downloaded the 2019.16.2 firmware already installed on the car and voila, problem fixed. So it must have been a faulty firmware installation that caused the problem or maybe a new version of 2019.16.2.

I'm having the no audio issue as well. This happened after the last 2019.16.2 update. It's happened about three times now. Two scroll reboot and power off doesn't seem to resolve it. On the two other occasions where it happened, waiting overnight seemed to fix it. Not ideal as you can imagine.

Occassionaly, I get "no sound" and have to switch between Slacker and FM, back to Slacker and it returns. Not sure "why" this happens but, it is easily rectified. My screen comes on as soon as I open the door. Never had a problem with it AND I've done a couple reboots that only took about 15 secs.