Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No automatic fan control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There should be a way to have fan speed regulated automatically with AC turned off. It's possible to do that in the S and X with Software 8, 8.1, and 9, but I cannot discover a way to do it in the Model 3. Just for clarification, in order to extend range, I'd like to be able to manually turn AC off and cool the cabin as much as possible by circulating outside air -- the lower the temp setting, the higher the fan speed should be, and as cabin temp approaches the set temperature, the fan speed should automatically slow, as it will in Model S and X . . . as well as in all cars with automatic climate control that I've drive over the last 25 years. Because it can be done with ver. 9 in the S, my intuition tells me that it's possible in the 3, but I can't discover how to do it.

Touch the fan icon at the bottom. This will bring up the Climate Control screen with all of the features you are asking for.

It is also in the Owner’s Manual.
The OP is asking for the fan to be in auto mode without the AC (or heat) being on--air only. Don't think current Model 3 software can do that. As soon as you turn on Auto mode, the AC will be used if the car thinks it should.

What they need to do is port over the Range Mode from the S/X cars, that would make the climate logic more conservative about running the A/C or heater. A/C is pretty cheap to operate though, it's a variable speed setup and the compressor doesn't draw much energy when air temp is close to ambient. It will kick on even when it's cold to control humidity.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
The OP is asking for the fan to be in auto mode without the AC (or heat) being on--air only. Don't think current Model 3 software can do that. As soon as you turn on Auto mode, the AC will be used if the car thinks it should.

It depends on your temp setting. If temp is set where AC is not needed it will still control fan speed in Auto mode. You can typically adjust temp setting where neither AC or Heat is not used.