Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No camera, no autopilot! (Transcient)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
This afternoon I drove to the doctor's office (routine test) and the car worked fine. When I left, I backed out of the parking space but the backup camera didn't work. The screen showed the guide lines but no image. No biggie. But I got onto the highway and had no autopilot or TACC. (No icons indicating they were available) Also, I had the headlights set on Auto, and it was bright daylight, but the headlights were on.

My conclusion: The cameras were not working. Thus no rear view and no sensor for TACC. Also, no lane lines shown on the display and adjacent cars not shown. Just the image of my car but nothing else in the image.

When I got home I had to park on the street because I'm having some work done and the workmen's truck was in my driveway. When they finished and left and I pulled my car in to the garage, the backup camera was working again, so I assume AP and TACC were probably working again also.

Something very like this happened once before and the next time I started the car everything worked fine.

It occurred to me after I was already on the road that I probably should have tried shutting the car off and re-starting it, or even re-booting the screen.

Driving without EAP is annoying! I am so spoiled!

Anybody else have similar experiences?

ETA: I just recently got 2019.20.2.1

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Did you turn off Sentry mode on the main screen and let the car sit off and then see what happens? You can turn Sentry back on then. The issue you describe has been talked about on here quite a bit. Surprised you haven't read some of these threads. Seemingly tnis is an issue around Sentry (sounds like it glitches the system). Tesla is aware there's an issue.

Reactions: dragonxt
Did you turn off Sentry mode on the main screen and let the car sit off and then see what happens? You can turn Sentry back on then. The issue you describe has been talked about on here quite a bit. Surprised you haven't read some of these threads. Seemingly tnis is an issue around Sentry (sounds like it glitches the system). Tesla is aware there's an issue.

I have never turned Sentry mode on. Unless it's on by default in 2019.20.2.1, which I got very recently. In fact, I have not even bothered to reformat the thumb drive. As much as I like the idea of a dashcam, it's not worth the bother of reformatting the drive every day. (Have they fixed that yet?)

Transcient ?

Sorry. Misspelled transient. Thanks for catching that. I've always been a lousy speller. Computers have helped.

Problem occurs, then goes away. Then a month later, it occurs again, then goes away. Both times, I didn't have to do anything. After parking the car and then coming back to it later it worked. Since it's only happened twice, and the second time I didn't think it was anything other than the screen not showing the rear view so didn't worry about it, I didn't think to try turning it off and back on or re-booting the screen. It wasn't until I was back on the freeway and had no EAP or TACC that I realized it was a problem, and then there was no convenient place to stop. So I had to actually drive it myself; the horror!

I have never turned Sentry mode on. Unless it's on by default in 2019.20.2.1, which I got very recently. In fact, I have not even bothered to reformat the thumb drive. As much as I like the idea of a dashcam, it's not worth the bother of reformatting the drive every day. (Have they fixed that yet?)....

Reformatting every day??? Where did you get that impression? I don't think anyone does that. I only check mine every couple of weeks if I don't see any damage, requiring the need to look at video. It's smart to periodically check on your files to see if there's corruption and you need to reformat.

Even if you don't activate Sentry mode, pull the usb drive out then, let the car be off for a short period of time and reinsert and see if that fixed the problem. Even if Sentry mode isn't on TeslaCam will be writing to the files.

First off, as expected, the car works fine now. It had that problem twice, and both times was fine after the car had been turned off and on again. It's just that both times I was already on the road when I realized there was a problem.

It's probably been six months since I tried to use the dash cam. This was back when they first introduced it. Every! single! time! I drove the car, the thumb drive got corrupted. I quit even trying it. From the above comments, it sounds like they've fixed it. I might try it again. OTOH, having to bring the thumb drive into the house to download the video is a PITA! They should allow downloading directly from the car via WiFi.