Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No charge port lights at all, changed charge port, no difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 85kW car

Car charges OK. No other issues.

Ever since I've had this car, for the last two years, the charge port door would not open by itself. I have to use a credit card to pry open the door. Works great every time for last two years.

Two weeks ago, I used the credit card again, but the magnet came out of the door, coming out of the glue on the door, and is now stuck to the charge port.
Ever since then, the charge port lights are not working at all.

I replaced the charge port with a used eBay part, and no change. Charge port lights still not working. I checked the charge port fuse (F44), and it was good.

Any help or tips?

Oh, found this thread
Pin guides?

Brian

I have a 2015 and the light used to not illuminate and the latch would take several seconds to retract before I could plug my car in. Tesla replaced my charge port several times times and it would be temp fixed then had same issue. They originally replaced the port with PN1026041-00-O in Dec 2019 and I still had the problem they came back and replaced it with another PN1026041-00-Q in May 2020 and then finally in Nov changed my charge port door with 1038548-00-I and its been fine since.

Maybe someone can benefit from my stupidity...

The true cause of the problem was the metallic disc from the charge port door being stuck to the charge port 100% of the time.
The car interpreted this as though the door was shut. That is why the charge port lights were not on.

Today, I charged the car, and while it was charging, I removed the metallic disc from the charge port. The charge port lights came on immediately.
Therefore, the charge port was not defective in the first place.
When I used the credit card, and the metallic disc came off the door, and stayed on the charge port, that was the cause.

My original charge port was still defective, in that it would not release the door, but that is another topic, and another thread.

Brian
San Diego, CA

How to replace charge port

I have a 2013 85 kW car, with manual charge port door.
  • Have software update pending prior to starting job (see section below)
  • Roll down driver's window! You will not be able to get back into the car if you do not roll down the window.
  • Disconnect 12V and fireman's loop
  • In the interior of the car, opposite the charge port, peel back decorative molding, and place towel or rag to prevent dropped screws
  • Remove high voltage protective cap
  • Check that there is no power with volt meter
  • No, I did not have the special tool to remove main high voltage wires. I used vice grips
  • For upper three prong wire harness, pinch together the outer clips. Pulls right out
  • Lower square harness also has a clip
  • Remove four mounting screws. Unit does come out into the trunk without removing any other parts
  • Remove "exterior" wire harness from old charge port
Install new charge port. Power up 12V and fireman's loop. Install software upgrade. Done.
In my first try, 1-1/2 hours from start to finish.

Getting a software upgrade
Go to a service center (park in vicinity of their WiFi).
Hold down for 10 sec on your Model S logo in the software menu.
Password prompt comes up, enter “service” (case sensitive) and it will take you into service menu. From there you can request the latest firmware.
Don’t install it yet, just request. Once that is showing as a pending software update, exit service mode and do the charge port install.
When completed, do the software update.

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS

The true cause of the problem was the metallic disc from the charge port door being stuck to the charge port 100% of the time.
The car interpreted this as though the door was shut. That is why the charge port lights were not on.

Today, I charged the car, and while it was charging, I removed the metallic disc from the charge port. The charge port lights came on immediately.
When I used the credit card, and the metallic disc came off the door, and stayed on the charge port, that was the cause.

My original charge port was still defective, in that it would not release the door, but that is another topic, and another thread.

Brian
San Diego, CA
What do you mean exactly by the metallic Disc?

2013 85kW car

Car charges OK. No other issues.

Ever since I've had this car, for the last two years, the charge port door would not open by itself. I have to use a credit card to pry open the door. Works great every time for last two years.

Two weeks ago, I used the credit card again, but the magnet came out of the door, coming out of the glue on the door, and is now stuck to the charge port.
Ever since then, the charge port lights are not working at all.

I replaced the charge port with a used eBay part, and no change. Charge port lights still not working. I checked the charge port fuse (F44), and it was good.

Any help or tips?

Oh, found this thread
Pin guides?

Brian
Any solution hete? Have the same issue on a refresh 2016 replaced inlet port no difference.

I believe that OP had these items pointed on the photo attached to each other…

94A88E77-8302-4B75-9A8A-82077985F5FB.jpeg

So I have a 2017 Tesla Model S in which the Charge Port door opens but no Indicator lights, also the locking pin takes 12-15 seconds to drop down (unlock) before the charging cable can be inserted. Once the charging cable (Home Charger, Supercharger, etc..) is installed it charges fine. Finally, I ordered and installed a new charging port ($500) and it does the same thing. It was then that I noticed that if you use the Android App (latest version) not only does the door open immediately, the LED lights on the charge port work again and the pin drops faster (but not instant). What? Wait, its gets stranger... the locking pin releases instantly whether you use the button on the cable, the app, the screen to unlock, etc..

Today, 2 months after the installation of the new charge port APP is the ONLY way I can open the charge port (unless I open the trunk and use the emergency unlock feature). None of the other methods work to open the door. I can use any method to stop charging (unlock), but only the app lets me open the door to charge. So if I am without my phone I can't charge it. Sure I can use the emergency port to drop the pin but the electronics will not allow it to charge until the app tells the system "unlock", no other methods work. Bad ECM or firmware bug?

The hardware is ok because it all works when you use the app (less the locking pin being slow to drop). Funny because once you start charging and then you hit the button on the power cable the unlock pin instantly drops, we know the hardware is ok in the charging port based on these symptoms.

Last edited:
So I have a 2017 Tesla Model S in which the Charge Port door opens but no Indicator lights, also the locking pin takes 12-15 seconds to drop down (unlock) before the charging cable can be inserted. Once the charging cable (Home Charger, Supercharger, etc..) is installed it charges fine. Finally, I ordered and installed a new charging port ($500) and it does the same thing. It was then that I noticed that if you use the Android App (latest version) not only does the door open immediately, the LED lights on the charge port work again and the pin drops faster (but not instant). What? Wait, its gets stranger... the locking pin releases instantly whether you use the button on the cable, the app, the screen to unlock, etc..

Today, 2 months after the installation of the new charge port APP is the ONLY way I can open the charge port (unless I open the trunk and use the emergency unlock feature). None of the other methods work to open the door. I can use any method to stop charging (unlock), but only the app lets me open the door to charge. So if I am without my phone I can't charge it. Sure I can use the emergency port to drop the pin but the electronics will not allow it to charge until the app tells the system "unlock", no other methods work. Bad ECM or firmware bug?

The hardware is ok because it all works when you use the app (less the locking pin being slow to drop). Funny because once you start charging and then you hit the button on the power cable the unlock pin instantly drops, we know the hardware is ok in the charging port based on these symptoms.
Reviving an old thread, I have almost the same problem but with a 2017 MX. Did you ever find out what was wrong?

Reviving an old thread, I have almost the same problem but with a 2017 MX. Did you ever find out what was wrong?
These are early symptoms of a failing charge port door sensor. Relatively common failure because a body drain gets plugged and the electronics end up sitting in a pool of water. It's a fairly easy DIY job, $100-ish part. 1038548-00-I, ASSY, MOTORIZED CHARGEPORT DOOR, SAE. Work involves removing trunk trim and the drivers side taillight.

These are early symptoms of a failing charge port door sensor. Relatively common failure because a body drain gets plugged and the electronics end up sitting in a pool of water. It's a fairly easy DIY job, $100-ish part. 1038548-00-I, ASSY, MOTORIZED CHARGEPORT DOOR, SAE. Work involves removing trunk trim and the drivers side taillight.
cool thanks. does it involve working near the high voltage stuff? is the job fairly safe for someone who is decently experienced with minor electrical work?

cool thanks. does it involve working near the high voltage stuff? is the job fairly safe for someone who is decently experienced with minor electrical work?
You work "near" it, yeah. You have to loosen/remove the charge port from the body to make room to get the tail light / door assembly in and out, but that doesn't involve any non-insulated HV cabling/connectors/etc. Some basic safety precautions like shutting off the car and pulling the fireman's loop should be sufficient. Here's the how-to that I followed - took about an hour start to finish.

Reactions: xanatos
I had similar problem. I had to buy a new chargeport and change magnet and led only. Magnet got water inside and corrosion. The led has a hairline crack on bottom when I took it out. I suspect some dielectric grease packed in would have solved the problem for led or some plastic welding. As for the magnet. It would appear it will continue to happen over the years. Or completely stop driving in the rain. I've considered installing a thin foam gasket inside the chargeport cover.

14ms85

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240220_084829_Files.jpg
    Screenshot_20240220_084829_Files.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 25

Brian
San Diego, CA
Old thread but this just saved my bacon! Shouting you out in an upcoming video. Same issue, same solution - glue the disc back to the cover lol. Thanks again!

Brian
San Diego, CA
Just watched a YouTube video from Auto Auction Rebuilds and he referenced this post. Great save man. Thank you!