Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No CSA sticker on wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My regular electrician came today to prepare an estimate for installing my Gen 3 Tesla wall connector. He says he would not risk drawing a permit for it because it has no CSA sticker on it. He is also concerned about the built-in GFI substitute, if I understand correctly, because the base unit that attaches to the wall has exposed wires in it. Is it CSA approved? If so, why no sticker? Are those internal wires a risk?

Thank you for your quick answer. The connector has the UL - C - US label on it so all should be good.

Installing it as an plug would require a GFI component, I think, about another $100, whereas I interpret the instructions for the connector to mean that it contains its own GFI replacement.
The wall connector (HPWC) contains it's own GFI circuitry. In fact, this is mandated by the NEC, CEC, and IEC. Your electrician seems to never have installed an EVSE before, or he wouldn't be that hesitant.

The wall connector (HPWC) contains it's own GFI circuitry. In fact, this is mandated by the NEC, CEC, and IEC. Your electrician seems to never have installed an EVSE before, or he wouldn't be that hesitant.

You're quite right, this is the first EVSE he's seen. (He mostly does furnace and AC work.) That's not remarkable because here in Winnipeg there are very few Teslas; I estimate fewer than 20 in the whole province.

You're quite right, this is the first EVSE he's seen. (He mostly does furnace and AC work.) That's not remarkable because here in Winnipeg there are very few Teslas; I estimate fewer than 20 in the whole province.
Now that there's a SuperCharger at Polo Park, I think there will soon be many more. Hope you're having fun being an EV pioneer there!