Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No direct sales in Maryland now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, Tesla may have a little more politically friendly terrain in Maryland, so this may be only a temporary setback. Maryland is moving further and further to the left so it wouldn't surprise me if O'Malley would be willing to work with Tesla to change the law.

This is the Maryland MVA website page with info for dealerships to get a license to sell new vehicles. Still looking for a link to the Maryland law that would need to be waived or changed.
Dealer - License to Sell New Vehicles

Fortunately, Maryland is a very small state (geography). Unlike Texas, easy to drive to a nearby state and speak to folks at a TM showroom. Regardless, these states are ridiculous in their opposition. I agree with Elon, the overwhelming support of the people in each state will prevail eventually.

Well, Tesla may have a little more politically friendly terrain in Maryland, so this may be only a temporary setback. Maryland is moving further and further to the left so it wouldn't surprise me if O'Malley would be willing to work with Tesla to change the law.

I wouldn't be so sure being on the left necessarily helps us in this matter. Sen Cardin for sure enjoyed his time with NADA: The Washington Area New Auto Dealers Association

I think it is time to contact our representatives and voice our concerns. Maryland is a major sales area for Tesla.

According to this NADA publication the Maryland MVA denies Tesla from selling directly:
http://wanada.org/files/Bulletin_21_2013.pdf

It just keeps coming. How can we most effectively fight this?

Don't sit back quietly and let the dealers win! Speak up and be heard, write your congresspeople and senators, write letters to the newspaper and the local TV news departments. NO ONE likes working with traditional car dealers and this may be a good time for the citizens to stand up to their slimy sales techniques. It's got to start somewhere, Chris. I have heard senators and congress people claim they voted for a bill based on how many calls they got about it. If they were being truthful is another story. But, the squeaky wheel rule still applies.

How about we fill State Circle in Annapolis with Teslas and invite the Governor (who resides right there) and any state legislators to take a ride in the Model S of their choice. Yesterday the Governor of North Carolina kicked his State Trooper out of the driver's seat so he could get behind the wheel of a Model S himself. Lobbyists hired by Tesla arranged that. This will be by the people and for the people which should have more impact.

I suggest a Sunday morning because there are more likely to be open parking spots in the circle. Afterwards everyone can go to the City Dock for the Sunday morning Annapolis Cars and Coffee.

Is 9:00 on an upcoming Sunday morning too early? July 7th?

I agree that we need to have Tesla sales in Maryland (even if some consider it a small state), I doubt Tesla considers it a small state based on how many Model Ses I see driving around. I would love to go show up in Annapolis, however, are there even any legislators around on a Sunday morning? Though I can't make it during a weekday, wouldn't that be more fruitful?

If it was done on a weekend, for it to be successful, there would need to some sort of PR and news coverage. Though a picture of 20 or 30 Teslas surrounding the circle around the state house would make a great shot. Yes that's right 20-30 could surround the state house (it is not very big).

I can't make it July 7th but would be in another weekend.

:cursing:Boy am I lucky when I got my roadster in 2011. No problem getting registered then, hope its no problem to get a renewal!!

The politics in this country sux!! It's sad that greed, politicians ignorance and big money makes Tesla the target. I'll write letters and make phone calls for the cause....... But unless Tesla backers can match the payoffs that rule the state we may need to hope the whole thing can get to the Supreme Court to determine if states have the right to dictate how its citizens can purchase goods and services. We can buy computers, household goods, car care products, pay the gov taxes, buy AK47's, ammunition, and Christ there is a guy in Seattle that will sell you a grenade launcher on line! ...... But you can't buy the most advanced car, an American product, on line without kissing the #%% of the mob ... I mean the dealers assoc.

The best thing we can do is launch a totally obnoxious letter campaign to our elected representatives and hope one of those morons can read something that isn't wrapped in a campaign contribution. Don't get me wrong .... I fought for and love this country and believe MD is a great state but the MVA saying you can't buy Teslas in the state ...... Really!

Since Tesla employees cannot tell customers in their stores how to buy the car, what prevents tesla owners from giving any/all necessary information in or just outside a Tesla store. If potential customers (and random Tesla gawkers) are informed about the anti-free maket methods of NADA, it would help the cause, plus help Tesla sell more cars. I would be more likely to buy a car if an owner liked the product so much, they are willing to hang out at the store in their time off to talk about the car.

Since Tesla employees cannot tell customers in their stores how to buy the car, what prevents tesla owners from giving any/all necessary information in or just outside a Tesla store. If potential customers (and random Tesla gawkers) are informed about the anti-free maket methods of NADA, it would help the cause, plus help Tesla sell more cars. I would be more likely to buy a car if an owner liked the product so much, they are willing to hang out at the store in their time off to talk about the car.

A number of Austin owners do that. It works really well. We just tell them we are not Tesla employees and can answer any questions they ask. Tesla didn't ask us to be there so they have nothing to do with us showing up.

It's like the opposite of a picket line. You should get picket-style signs - Buy Tesla! :biggrin:

Last edited:
A number of Austin owners do that. It works really well. We just tell them we are not Tesla employees and can answer any questions they ask. Tesla didn't ask us to be there so they have nothing to do with us showing up.

Stories I've read are Tesla employees are very careful not to violate the laws. I'm sure they appreciate non employees who can legally assist potential buyers. Ridiculous that it has to come to that

I live in Maryland. Buying and registering Model S here was a piece of cake and I had support from the MVA all the way. I ordered the car online and picked it up in Rockville. There are many other owners here in MD, none of whom had any issues as far as I know. So what's the problem? Where are the examples of barriers? There may be a law but it's not being enforced. Period.

Picketing and the like in Annapolis may in fact be a bad idea. It may call attention to the fact that the state is ignoring it's own law. Then someone jerk politician might start trying to enforce it.

Last edited:
I live in Maryland. Buying and registering Model S here was a piece of cake and I had support from the MVA all the way. I ordered the car online and picked it up in Rockville. There are many other owners here in MD, none of whom had any issues as far as I know. So what's the problem? Where are the examples of barriers? There may be a law but it's not being enforced. Period.

Picketing and the like in Annapolis may in fact be a bad idea. It may call attention to the fact that the state is ignoring it's own law. Then someone jerk politician might start trying to enforce it.

My understanding is there is no problem buying online, picking the vehicle up and registering it in Maryland and many other states. The problem is they can not discuss price/sales at the Rockville or any future Tesla site in Maryland. So, the way you bought the car and then registered it in Maryland was 'by the book'.

I also bought online and picked up in Rockville and had Tesla register for me with Md MVA. I am worried that they will block a future store in Md from discussing price and perhaps even allowing us to have Tesla handle the registration/taxes etc.

This was the most enjoyable car buying experience I ever had and would hate for it to be ruined for future Tesla owners due to the ridiculous laws.

I don't trust the NADA; they attempted to claim that Tesla was prohibited from selling cars in NY, which was flatly false. The NY laws are perfectly reasonable.

So I went and checked the Maryland law. The relevant provisions are at
Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 15-305

You can find them on Lexis-Nexus for free:
LexisNexis Custom Solution: Code of Maryland Unannotated and Rules Research Tool

Look under
TRANSPORTATION
TITLE 15. VEHICLE LAWS -- LICENSING OF BUSINESSES AND OCCUPATIONS
SUBTITLE 3. DEALERS

Yes, Maryland actually prohibits manufacturers from selling to retail customers. ::eyeroll::

This is the section which needs to be amended to permit manufacturers to sell direct if they have no franchises at all (which is the rule in NY). As long as it is not amended, I think Tesla would be well advised to move its DC store out of Maryland into DC proper.