Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No dual zone HVAC. Heat pump limitation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can you manually turn off the vents by zone in the Model Y? This has been my wife's #1 complaint about our 3 and the inability to turn off the vents by zone in the front. She HATES the air being on in her zone unless really hot or cold.

This could be a direct quote from my wife. She hates that she can't turn off the air on her side independent of the driver's air. Does anyone know if the Y fixed this?

Reactions: Thunder7ga
In the same boat. Her: "Can you please stop the airflow on my side?" Me: "No, it can't be stopped, only made warmer." Her: "Seriously, your super high-tech, expensive car can't do something every one of my cars has been able to do over 32 years?" Me: No response, as anything I say at that point will dig a deeper hole.

This is a complete fail, and I really hope this airflow control gets added in a future software update, or I'm going to have to be building some kind of insert for the opening in the dash that blocks the air on the passenger side. Double ugh.

I did see somewhere an insert that goes on the vent and can be slid across to close the airflow, but of course now can't find it, but was pretty simple, probably 3D printed and not horrific to look at. This of course doesn't excuse this oversight, I really hope they add this as a feature if possible.

It looks like it may some day be possible to disable the passenger vent in the Model Y. In the latest upcoming release notes for 2020.28.1, it looks like the face vent will automatically disable if nobody is sitting in the passenger seat.

upload_2020-7-17_9-53-38.png

So, if it can be automatically disabled, and manually enabled, we know there is at least the physical capability of the system shutting off that vent. It might just be a matter of Tesla adding the option to turn it off manually at some point.

• Informative
Reactions: mongo
Yes, it seems like it was more work to make this "automatic" with manual disable vs. simply just make it a manual setting to turn it on/off. So over-engineered. Just give us the ability to turn these vents on and off manually like every other car for decades! Think of our sanity and marriages!