Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No front end PPF DC/NOVA - regrets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I regret not doing PPF on the hood, it attracts rock chips like a magnet and they are highly visible on the blue paint. Bumper actually looks okay in comparison, maybe because it is plastic? 20,000 miles on a June 2021 car.

If I got a new MY, I’d do the hood and maybe front fenders.

It's worth it for 140k miles, if its a personal annoyance.

But after 140k miles your car has depreciated so much that paint damage won't make much of a difference to a car like that. 1-2k at most, if your car is a model 3/y. On an S/X yes, it'll make much more difference; not on a 60k car.
Plus most people really don't take care of their cars that way...i.e regular washing of cars, with a bucket and sponge, not drive thru washes that don't get your car clean. Regular waxing, all that so I agree, not really worth the investment on a $60K vehicle. I'm one that is pretty anal with washing, Ceramic coating, PPF, all that, and still couldn't justify it on a $60K car. Also, 140,000 miles is alot, it won't be worth what you think it will be after all that time and miles. Not even sure if the Tesla will last that long. You'll def will have to put money in it on repairs. Not really sure of the point of keeping it that long.

Plus most people really don't take care of their cars that way...i.e regular washing of cars, with a bucket and sponge, not drive thru washes that don't get your car clean. Regular waxing, all that so I agree, not really worth the investment on a $60K vehicle. I'm one that is pretty anal with washing, Ceramic coating, PPF, all that, and still couldn't justify it on a $60K car. Also, 140,000 miles is alot, it won't be worth what you think it will be after all that time and miles. Not even sure if the Tesla will last that long. You'll def will have to put money in it on repairs. Not really sure of the point of keeping it that long.

140,000 miles and counting with minimal repairs. Paint still looks great aside from the areas in front of the rear wheels that I mentioned I wish I had put PPF on. 🤷‍♂️

As to the point of keeping a car “that long,” it’s not even four years old yet. What do you suggest I do with it if not to keep driving it?

140,000 miles and counting with minimal repairs. Paint still looks great aside from the areas in front of the rear wheels that I mentioned I wish I had put PPF on. 🤷‍♂️

As to the point of keeping a car “that long,” it’s not even four years old yet. What do you suggest I do with it if not to keep driving it?
So you're driving over 35K miles a year? Let's not act like that's normal driving. The ultimate point was the value of a PPF to cost of car, plus people not taking care of their car to the point of making it worth while. There are so many variables to everyone's car experience. Of course you should drive your car. It's not an exotic or high end car and shouldn't be a garage queen.

I just got a full XPEL stealth wrap installed on my new 2022 MYP at Detail Authority in Fairfax VA. Also got a black pillar delete and ceramic coating.

I’ve only had my car for about 2 months. I work from home when I’m in town so it doesn’t even get driven daily. However I do have family in NJ so I have made that trip back and forth once a month or so.

There were already chips in the paint that the guys had to correct in that short time. Some of them were already too deep to fully repair.

Having said that I’m glad I did it. Not only does it look great I don’t have to worry about any further damage. I think it all comes down to personal preference as well as if you simply can afford it.

If you have the money go for it. If not you should be fine but it’s more of a peace of mind thing for me.
E928AFCE-C98B-4C0C-8DFE-774B89D27D26.jpeg
5F340FCC-2BF0-4C7F-816E-201201DE00FF.jpeg
9F041A09-041B-4731-90D9-F2E724FCB39B.jpeg
95ABAFA5-DCA9-41FE-B5C1-3274A8CDA235.jpeg

A lot of it is personal preference. Also color. The darker colors such as blue are going to show damage more readily (to the human eye).

Tesla's have no grill like an ICE. Front damage is much more noticeable than on ICE.

I like the PPF because I keep my cars for 6 - 10 years and I like them looking nice and near-new towards the end (not because I think it will sell for any significant more money). Having the paint look nice helps me keep the car longer. Keeping any car longer (instead of buying a different car more often) is where all of the money savings is.

One thing to keep in mind, PPF on the lights might keep them from braking from a rock chip. It protected another car and to replace a headlight on it was $1500. Teslas have to be a lot more expensive. I heard on the S they are $3700 a piece not including labor.

Sure you have insurance, but a claim can really drive up your rates. I did the front on our Y and along the lower doors. I am so glad I did it. Now if I was mostly a city driver, I wouldn't see as much need for it.

Next car though I am doing the entire car. PPF is just so much less stress. You can run it through a car wash and know your paint isn't going to take a beating.

I'm picking up my 2022 MYP in a couple of weeks and I'm scheduled to drop it off for full body PPF the same day. If you're not interested in full body, then I would at least consider a frontal PPF, but stay away from a Partial. The price is tempting, but over time, the line will become more noticeable on your hood.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
Definitely stay away on a partial if white or a light color in general. We had a partial done on another car that was dark blue and even after 6 years you could barely tell the line was there.

Also found that ceramic coating over the line makes it easier to clean over time.

PPF has never helped me get a dime more at resale
I
I xpel stealth PPF'd my 2020 M3P before, would never do it again. PPF has almost no resale value, costs $5-8k for the whole car depending on your location, and not worth it on a $60k car.
so much this. YOu get zero back at resale time. And when selling, car is valued same with PPF as without.

You really only need PPF on the front bumper. Buy a pre-cut kit, do the work and you won’t regret it. I also would include the headlights and fogs as well.
DIY on a bumper (the hardest panel) for the first time is almost guaranteed to waste that $200+ pre cut piece of film. Or, it will be a horrible looking job afterwards for a first timer.

It helps protect them from UV damage, reducing the tendency to turn yellow as they age. And yes, plastic light housings can still get damaged from road debris.
When it does happen (usually around the 6 year mark or so) easily solved in 10 mins with headlight restoration kit from Autozone or Walmart

To avoid UV yellowing, apply a coat of wax or sealant on the lens when you wax the car