Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No FSD transfer without trade in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m seeing reports online that Tesla will be extending FSD transfers for those that order before the end of September, even if the vehicle is delivered later. From DriveTeslaCanada,

“According to details of the new requirements obtained by Drive Tesla, customers must still place their order before September 30, 2023. To still be eligible to transfer your FSD package to your new car, you must also complete all the pre-delivery tasks in your account, including selecting the option to say you will be transferring FSD, and complete your credit check (if applicable) by that date. Tesla refers to this as the customer taking “good faith” steps to complete their delivery in time.

Additionally, if you order a custom configuration, and there is a vehicle with the same configuration available in existing inventory that is ready to be delivered, you must accept delivery of the inventory vehicle.”

I haven’t seen an official confirmation from Tesla yet. The story seems to have originated from an X post by @WholeMarsBlog. https://twitter.com/WholeMarsBlog. I hope it is true.

Yes, you're crazy. They have been quite explicit. You're just going to lose your current FSD and not get it on the new vehicle. That is, unless you find an inventory vehicle to take delivery of by Sep. 30.

Sure, it's possible they'll just ignore all the conditions they wrote down. But why would they?
I had a 2019 M3 with FSD & bought my MY when they offered the Q3 free FSD transfer. At delivery on 8/30/23, I signed the papers to transfer my FSD from my M3 to the MY. I then drove my M3 to the local CarMax lot and sold it to them. Tesla Ubered me back to pick up my new MY. The FSD transfer to my MY took about 2 weeks. I didn't have to trade my car in with Tesla.