Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No FSD transfer without trade in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a text from Tesla yesterday to inform me that they cannot transfer FSD to my new vehicle on order because I am not trading in my car that currently has FSD. I was planning to keep the current car and just transfer FSD to my new one. The trade-in section for my order in the Tesla app shows complete (green checkbox) with no trade-in and FSD capability transfer from the correct VIN. I thought I was good to go.

It may all be for nothing though as my EDD has been pushed to December 3 - January 28. I was hoping to at least have the request ready to go in the event they decide to extend the deadline for those waiting for delivery.

I am also not trading my old X in, but I am transferring FSD. Nobody has told me that is not allowed. My delivery window is October 10 - November 21st. Maybe I’m crazy, but I expect Tesla to honor the FSD request, even if delivered after 9/30.
Yes, you're crazy. They have been quite explicit. You're just going to lose your current FSD and not get it on the new vehicle. That is, unless you find an inventory vehicle to take delivery of by Sep. 30.

Sure, it's possible they'll just ignore all the conditions they wrote down. But why would they?

I am also not trading my old X in, but I am transferring FSD. Nobody has told me that is not allowed. My delivery window is October 10 - November 21st. Maybe I’m crazy, but I expect Tesla to honor the FSD request, even if delivered after 9/30.

Under FAQs:
If I order a new vehicle before September 30, 2023, am I guaranteed an FSD capability transfer?
No. To receive an FSD capability transfer, you must take delivery of the new vehicle by September 30, 2023. We cannot guarantee delivery of your new vehicle before September 30, 2023.

How long are FSD capability transfers available?
You can transfer an FSD capability from your current Tesla vehicle to a new Tesla vehicle delivered between July 20, 2023 to September 30, 2023. Once this offer ends, you will not be able to transfer FSD capability from one vehicle to another.

Also, under Terms and Conditions:
Terms and Conditions
To receive this offer, you must meet all eligibility criteria and take delivery of the new Tesla vehicle between July 20, 2023 and September 30, 2023. Tesla may remove Full Self-Driving (FSD) capability from your new vehicle if we determine in good faith that you've breached any of these terms or made any misrepresentation about FSD capability on your current vehicle. Tesla reserves the right to change, modify or terminate this offer at any time without prior notice. Details about these terms and conditions will be provided to participants in their Tesla Account. Failure to follow and agree to all terms and conditions may result in reversal of the FSD capability transfer.

It looks like you are SOL if you don't get the vehicle delivered by Sept 30, 2023. In fact, if you try, you might even get FSD removed completely if you transferred it, and then you'll be out of FSD for both your new and old vehicle.

Last edited:
I’ll wait til Friday the 29 before canceling. Hoping for a Hail Mary from Tesla.
I would suggest not cancelling so soon. Either way you're going to be out $250 for the non refundable deposit regardless. Just let your order sit into Oct and see if Tesla changes their stance on this. It seems like Tesla may miss Q3 delivery numbers, in which case, they may be more likely to keep that offer to try to increase Q4 deliveries. Personally, I plan on keeping my order open until they assign me a VIN and then asking about my FSD transfer status then if it hasn't already been communicated.

Reactions: GatorMeat
I still suggest a trade-in is not required. If you read the FAQ you will see this:

I want to trade in my current Tesla vehicle. If I have FSD capability for my current vehicle, does this affect my current vehicle’s trade-in value?

Yes. If you are trading in your vehicle, the trade-in vehicle will be valued as though it has basic Autopilot as the FSD capability will be removed and transferred to the new vehicle.

Trade-in is definitely not required. The Tesla app allows you to select an existing Tesla with FSD on your account to transfer the FSD from without specifying that you're trading in that vehicle. My order is setup that way, to transfer FSD from my M3, and I'm not trading in my M3 to Tesla but will sell it private party afterwards.

This is all just a click of a button on their behalf. I would find an advisor at your local service center and get this corrected. We did have a trade in but still, it was just something on their screen to make it happen.

Yes, you're crazy. They have been quite explicit. You're just going to lose your current FSD and not get it on the new vehicle. That is, unless you find an inventory vehicle to take delivery of by Sep. 30.

Sure, it's possible they'll just ignore all the conditions they wrote down. But why would they?
NO, he’s not going to loose something he paid for if the transfer weren’t to happen 😆

I would suggest not cancelling so soon. Either way you're going to be out $250 for the non refundable deposit regardless. Just let your order sit into Oct and see if Tesla changes their stance on this. It seems like Tesla may miss Q3 delivery numbers, in which case, they may be more likely to keep that offer to try to increase Q4 deliveries. Personally, I plan on keeping my order open until they assign me a VIN and then asking about my FSD transfer status then if it hasn't already been communicated.
That’s an excellent suggestion. I may just play it out. I’m out out $250 anyway.

So I'm about to order a Model X. It wont arrive before Sept 30. But I'd still like to do everything necessary to transfer in case they extend the window. Do you need to order the new car with FSD and then tell them when it arrives that you want to transfer and they will then discount the FSD price? Or can i order without FSD? Do i need to notify anyone at Tesla that this is my intent when ordering? Or just go online and order?

So I'm about to order a Model X. It wont arrive before Sept 30. But I'd still like to do everything necessary to transfer in case they extend the window. Do you need to order the new car with FSD and then tell them when it arrives that you want to transfer and they will then discount the FSD price? Or can i order without FSD? Do i need to notify anyone at Tesla that this is my intent when ordering? Or just go online and order?
No need to add FSD. In the app after you order it will ask for FSD transfer in the trade-in section. There you opt-in for it.

You want to place the order WITHOUT the FSD option. You need to place the order using the same email address that your current Tesla with FSD that you'll be transferring FSD from.

I would suggest placing the order, then go into the Tesla mobile app to complete the first few steps of the order. The 2nd step is the trade-in and/or FSD transfer. I recommend doing it before 9/30 so that it's set on your order to have FSD transfer just in case they do a cut-off of people who's already in the FSD transfer queue.

If you're new to Tesla, and know someone with a Tesla account already, see if they have a referral code for you to use. I believe it's currently down to $500 instant credit towards your purchase if you use a referral code. If not, here's a shameless plug to use my referral code if you find the above info useful ;)

Last edited:
You want to place the order WITHOUT the FSD option. You need to place the order using the same email address that your current Tesla with FSD that you'll be transferring FSD from.

I would suggest placing the order, then go into the Tesla mobile app to complete the first few steps of the order. The 2nd step is the trade-in and/or FSD transfer. I recommend doing it before 9/30 so that it's set on your order to have FSD transfer just in case they do a cut-off of people who's already in the FSD transfer queue.

If you're new to Tesla, and know someone with a Tesla account already, see if they have a referral code for you to use. I believe it's currently down to $500 instant credit towards your purchase if you use a referral code. If not, here's a shameless plug to use my referral code if you find the above info useful ;)

Thank you, i just followed your steps and everything worked great. I went ahead and used your referral code.

Reactions: awd_rails
I took delivery of my new Model Y yesterday. Transferred FSD from my 2017 Model 3. That process happened right after I took delivery. The Model 3 put up a message on the screen saying it had reverted to its original Autopilot, and the Model Y required driving for calibration before it allowed any Autopilot stuff to be enabled.

It came with the latest firmware, 2023.32.100. This includes FSD 11.4.4, and it's now enabled.