TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

No garage, smart options for charging

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by robertdesarbo, Jun 2, 2018.

1. robertdesarbo

robertdesarbo Member

Hey all. Newbie here to Tesla or any EV for that matter. I configured my car 4/20 with a pushback email for July.

What would be the smartest option for home charging? I own a home but currently do not have a garage, I travel ~65 miles a day for work and currently do not have anything in the way of charging for the vehicle. I eventually want to build a garage (especially with the car coming) but that probably won't happen for 6-12 months. Would it make sense to do something cheaper in the mean time until I get the garage built for a more permanent solution...

2. combo

combo Member

My recommendation at minimum would be to install a NEMA 14-50 on the house as close as you can to the vehicle so you can use the mobile connector and get a quality charge in reasonable time. However, leaving that mobile connector outside kind of sucks, so the best option would be to essentially run the same wiring but instead attach it to a Tesla wall connector with the appropriate length charging cable.

• Like x 1
  3. tjkessler

tjkessler Member

If code allows it and you have a covered space NEMA 14-50 works. Many localities won't allow that. HWPC can be installed outside on the
    side of a building, on a post and so on. You can always move the HWPC later when/if you build a garage.

4. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Same thing combo and tjkessler said. The HPWC is simply and additional cost. The UMC come with the car, but in your case they recommend you not use it outside where water could get to it. the HPWC can be used outside like these folks said.

5. robertdesarbo

robertdesarbo Member

Thanks for the answers! I was planning on buying a HPWC it was just a matter of when bit from the sounds of it I should just install it now and move it when I get the garage.

Appreciate it :)

• Like x 3