Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No, it's not a luxury car, at least not in Colorado.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the regs a Hyundai is a luxury vehicle and a Tesla isn't. Seriously?

Thats because of the Genesis and Equus line. The Equus start in the $60k range. So Hyundai does make luxury vehicles. Believe it or not, this is a Hyundai (and would probably make a nice limo):
2016-hyundai-equus-int-25-rear-entertain.jpg

They should still be including Tesla on the list, however. Government is slow, though.

Sure.... all nice cars
Chrysler 300, Hyundai Equus, Saab 9-5, Chevrolet Suburban, Chevrolet Tahoe, Ford Excursion, Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon,
Hummer

However my best guess as to why it's those cars and not a Tesla - and mind you it's only a guess- only an opinion- no proof- all conjecture- is this linked to dealership regs in Colorado.

Colorado Laws & Regulations for Car Dealers | DMV.org

Remember, we're the State which is still arguing about the legality of rain barrels.

Please excuse my ignorance. I thought if a Tesla was classified as a luxury in Colorado then all of us Colorado folks will pay more in taxes, to register it, and insure it. Is that right?
Colorado Car Registration Requirements & Steps | DMV.org

Your fees are based on what you paid for the car

Three fees factor into Colorado car registration fees:
License fee – Based upon your vehicle's weight, purchase date and taxable value
Sales tax – Based on your vehicle's net purchase price.
Ownership tax
– This is a personal property tax based on the worth of your vehicle when it was brand new.

Once you go for a limo license- then you pay more- in commercial plates and insurance
It doesn't effect the taxable value of the car in any documentation which I can find although to be honest there may be something buried as deep as the PUC rules are buried and I will certainly keep looking.

The taxable value is set by your County.

Garfield County - motor vehicle registration

Please excuse my ignorance. I thought if a Tesla was classified as a luxury in Colorado then all of us Colorado folks will pay more in taxes, to register it, and insure it. Is that right?
"Fees to title and register vehicles in the State of Colorado are based on age of the vehicle, weight, taxable value, purchase date, and type of plate requested. Estimates for registration fees are not provided over the phone. Some counties provide information on their website. Once you have accessed the appropriate county, click on Motor Vehicle and then click on fees. Counties use this equation to estimate your registration fees. Otherwise, you will need to go to your local county motor vehicle office to obtain this information."

Bold emphasis- mine

...and I don't find a different schedule of registration prices for the cars already on the limo list.... it all goes back to weight, purchase prie and original list price.

Very cool. Thank you for provide that :)

You're welcome- I'm still digging and with this quote from the Colorado DMV "Fees are established by the legislature or promulgated in rule." it seems there is nothing to stop a new rule being written by a commission to charge more for luxury cars (beyond the % of purchase/list price) but that would effect all cars on the luxury list not just the Tesla so the push back might be a bit bigger.