Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No longer sure i want a tesla at all...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks. this is a weird time for everybody. don't need any help from tesla in the anxiety department.
Ya sorry about the vehicle swap but to be honest their would not be many of us to even make the transaction at this time. I for one will wait till this blows over and see where the dust settles. If you are not a necessity right now it is time to chill. I would pat Tesla on the back if they understood that and inform Elon that it would not be Dumb but smart and caring.

i am willing to allow that we are in weird situations that are unprecedented so contract language might not be critical, and i'm not looking for compensation. but yes, we had a contract and to just ignore it for their benefit but not follow up with returning my money until they are prepared to finish, in these strange times, was at least thoughtless on their part and obviously a violation of the contract.

IMO you don't have to justify anything. I don't think anyone can tell you how your should or should not feel about what Tesla did. You don't like it, I respect that.

Who knows what is going on with Tesla right now .. could be they suck, could be they are doing the best they can. I don't know, and I won't bother trying to figure it out. they are the only one that can deliver what I am interested in right now .. it is clear that some see Tesla as just one of others in the "EV" or "luxury brand" category so for them, there is a choice. But for me, personally, I'm stuck with whatever the situation is with Tesla.

FWIW, my wife's model 3 is such a great car I am willing to cut Tesla quite a bit of slack. But that's just me.

IMO you don't have to justify anything. I don't think anyone can tell you how your should or should not feel about what Tesla did. You don't like it, I respect that.

Who knows what is going on with Tesla right now .. could be they suck, could be they are doing the best they can. I don't know, and I won't bother trying to figure it out. they are the only one that can deliver what I am interested in right now .. it is clear that some see Tesla as just one of others in the "EV" or "luxury brand" category so for them, there is a choice. But for me, personally, I'm stuck with whatever the situation is with Tesla.

FWIW, my wife's model 3 is such a great car I am willing to cut Tesla quite a bit of slack. But that's just me.
thanks. i'm cooling off LOL. and yes, i know that tesla is different, that's why as soon as they announced early deliveries i jumped on it, and worried later how i was going to tell my wife i had just spent $60k of our money without asking :D

i just hope it's weeks not months. i have a collectible bmw that is great to drive, but i would prefer not to have to use it for months. this is not Tesla's problem, but since there was no reason to have 2 daily drivers, once they issued me the delivery date, i turned my mercedes back to the dealer. i still have to pay for it until June and could have kept it if only they had been forthcoming.

but whatever. if this is the worst that happens to me because of this virus, i really can't complain. my office (insurance) is fairly recession resistant, and if anything we have a good web presence and people want to do more business that way right now. we are all working remotely and this will just be a blip for us (i'm 3rd generation, i've been here through several recessions). and probably not a great time to drive around in a brand new vehicle that most people think costs over $100k

Maybe Checy Bolt EV? I hear there are inventory cars that are being heavily discounted.. might be a good option for you since Tesla screwed you over so hard.
they didn't really screw me, just apparent from everybody else's comments that they build a great car but have mediocre service, because they think they can. but thanks. let's face it, we're all uptight about the short term future with businesses closed (i am fortunate we can work remotely and insurance is a necessity). i just hope i don't have to wait until they are fully back up and producing, who knows how long their supply chain could be interrupted. not their fault really, but they could have told me and refunded my payment without me making a fuss.

Serious question, why do folks pay in full before delivery? Is there some advantage or is it required in some situations?
no it was just easy and convnient to do a bank transfer. never occured to me that i would have a problem and if not for covid, i probably wouldn't have. though i don't think i will do it again when the time comes based on some of the comments about initial defects. i've been leasing for years, so have not had the issue come up.

no it was just easy and convnient to do a bank transfer. never occured to me that i would have a problem and if not for covid, i probably wouldn't have. though i don't think i will do it again when the time comes based on some of the comments about initial defects. i've been leasing for years, so have not had the issue come up.

I thought you had to honestly.. it was part of the process I felt.. wasn't sure you could just not do that step, was worried they wouldn't assign me the car still.

You should follow the advice of your Avatar " dont panic"

and as far as Tesla service is concerned it has improved ... however ... since i have only had to bring my MS in for service 2 times in 3 years ... it is irrelevant once you get your vehicle ... i would rather suffer thru delivery ... and never visit the SC again ... for many this is the case

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and Aarons12
That is

and as far as Tesla service is concerned it has improved ... however ... since i have only had to bring my MS in for service 2 times in 3 years ... it is irrelevant once you get your vehicle ... i would rather suffer thru delivery ... and never visit the SC again ... for many this is the case
No gas stations and no maintenance were the top two for me. Speed and enjoyment bonus.

yeah thanks, i have calmed down. but still would like my $55k back until they can actually deliver a car.

Tesla hasn't even updated their website. You'd think the model Y would have a spot on the main page with the other three cars. Its like they are so busy and/or out of control they can't even update their marketing / order taking system.

I could be naive but I just don't think they are sitting on their hands, ignoring the plight of new and existing customers. Their exponential growth now that they have models more people can afford and finally the capacity to print those vehicles has to create some growing problems. Problems I certainly would not want to deal with. Just last year there were serious doubts the company would even survive, and now they are selling cars so fast every single customer has to custom order the car? Its bonkers that they don't have cars on lots because they are all sold, and the resale value on the model 3 is so high. this is not something most other car manufacturers deal with.

Now what do you do? take all the money you don't have and hire a ton of new, quality staff to support your growth? When we picked up our Model 3, the person who did the delivery didn't even work in "sales". Its like they are taking just about anyone who is willing and saying "here, go deliver a car" .... Even if you are paying top dollar, can you even find enough quality staff this quickly? I figure you're bound to end up with some employee chaff that is going to treat customers poorly. Then what do you do? Who do you trust to go to every service center and straighten things out? Who do you get to replace people that you end up firing for poor performance?

I dunno. Just seems entirely possible to be backed into a corner "right now" .... if they don't get their act together in a year or two, that'll be another story I guess.

I thought you had to honestly.. it was part of the process I felt.. wasn't sure you could just not do that step, was worried they wouldn't assign me the car still.
well i certainly didn't see any reason NOT to do it, considering it was only a couple of days until the delivery date. still, that part they couldn't help, it's a covid issue. but they should have sent an email immediately saying they would return the money. what if it's 3 months or more and the person is making loan payments??