Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Midgate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone really disappointed there's no midgate opening for the Cybertruck? Almost a deal breaker for me. Cybertruck should be the largest Tesla vehicle, but worse car of the Tesla lineup to camp / sleep on in terms of sleepable space. Also should be the most capable going far reaching places, yet can't even camp well in deserted places, still have to stay near hotels as a result.

Almost defeats one of the main purposes, really hope Tesla work on this barrier and improve on future iterations by allowing the midgate to open.

Another disappointment, but less of a deal breaker / more minor, no benchseat / wasted space. Wished there was a benchseat, but now it feels like there's all these empty / wasted space in between, arm rest console doesn't look at big / deep as the ones you find in the Suburbans, and then the dash is so long, yet the frunk is so not deep, just feel like there's so much empty space. Also glove box, cool like a drawer, but with so much space, it seems so small.

Last edited:
Same here, no Midgate + no roll down rear window + no delete option on the leaky tonneau means CT is a no go for me. It's just not the form factor I'm looking for.

I mean there's other issues too, but that's the only one OP asked about...

Reactions: cc333
Anyone really disappointed there's no midgate opening for the Cybertruck? Almost a deal breaker for me. Cybertruck should be the largest Tesla vehicle, but worse car of the Tesla lineup to camp / sleep on in terms of sleepable space. Also should be the most capable going far reaching places, yet can't even camp well in deserted places, still have to stay near hotels as a result.

Almost defeats one of the main purposes, really hope Tesla work on this barrier and improve on future iterations by allowing the midgate to open.

Another disappointment, but less of a deal breaker / more minor, no benchseat / wasted space. Wished there was a benchseat, but now it feels like there's all these empty / wasted space in between, arm rest console doesn't look at big / deep as the ones you find in the Suburbans, and then the dash is so long, yet the frunk is so not deep, just feel like there's so much empty space. Also glove box, cool like a drawer, but with so much space, it seems so small.

Same here, no Midgate + no roll down rear window + no delete option on the leaky tonneau means CT is a no go for me. It's just not the form factor I'm looking for.

I mean there's other issues too, but that's the only one OP asked about...

Are you guys unfamiliar with the tonneau cover?​

PSA Tesla CyberTruck Tonneau Cover -- area on either side of rear window​

• Informative
Reactions: fhteagle
The tonneau cover deserves its own thread because it is the reason the cyber(nota)truck fails in many many areas.
SO Look for the thread "Turdneau cover" to see most of what the turdneau cover did to make the Cyberturd tesla's second biggest mistake.

The tonneau cover negates the ability to add a midgate. I guess they decided having a lockable bed was of more utility than a midgate.

But put the tent in the back and you can add your own AC or heaters and plug into the bed, best performing tent Tesla.

The turdneau cover is not air or water tight. Which might be why Elon nixed even a sliding rear window to allow the trunk to be used (at all). You'd train the battery "cooling" the outdoors. And again. A tent is not secure.
From what we can see, the design of the cyberturd was to create a weird five passenger SUV that makes humanity point at you.

The turdneau cover is not air or water tight. Which might be why Elon nixed even a sliding rear window to allow the trunk to be used (at all). You'd train the battery "cooling" the outdoors. And again. A tent is not secure.
From what we can see, the design of the cyberturd was to create a weird five passenger SUV that makes humanity point at you.

Are you ok?

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird
The major pick-up manufacturers do not have a lid over their bed like the Cyberturd has over its trunk(not a bed).
The Turdneau cover's track at the wall between the Trunk and Passenger area is the biggest impediment to being able to use the Cyberturd's TRUNK.
It is like Elon specifically designed the Turd so the TRUNK can not be used for much of anything. BUT YOU CAN STAND ON IT!!!!!!

The major pick-up manufacturers do not have a lid over their bed like the Cyberturd has over its trunk(not a bed).
The Turdneau cover's track at the wall between the Trunk and Passenger area is the biggest impediment to being able to use the Cyberturd's TRUNK.
It is like Elon specifically designed the Turd so the TRUNK can not be used for much of anything. BUT YOU CAN STAND ON IT!!!!!!

Please seek help.

Trying to remember the last time I ever wanted to sleep in the bed of a truck…. Oh Never!

there must be a design, safety reason, Franz and Lars have a clue, they would have done it if possible
think the RAM has a ladder frame whereas the CT does not by design/efficiency
RAM can have a midgate because its a legacy truck design first, the CT is an EV design first

disappointed yes, trust them for safety, yes