Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Model 3 fires to date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My nephew (who is an ICE mechanic) joked "make sure you have a fire extinguisher in your new ride". So I started poking around the web. As of this posting, not ONE case of a M3 catching fire, anywhere.
I'm seeing M3's everywhere now, so that is truly remarkable. There is another thread that mentions a "goo" they've used in between the separate cells. I'm not sure if that's the reason. But this should absolutely be crowed about and discussed when people get snarky..

I don't have one, but I do believe regardless of the car its a good idea to have one.

You never know what's going to occur on the road.

Now it wouldn't do any good with a Tesla because the fires tend to be stubborn. At least they have the courtesy to ask you to exit the vehicle before the fire really goes at it. At least this was the case with most of the Model S fires.

As far as I can tell there have been zero Tesla Model 3 fires, even after serious crashes. Has anyone heard of a fire in the Model 3? If not, this seems to me a fairly large improvement over S and X given that Tesla has already delivered close to 120K Model 3s.
The ICE fire stats are about 0.57 per thousand*year. I don't know how new ICE cars compare to the average

While true that there have been 120k Model 3 deliveries, the average car age is I'd guess around 2 -3 months so 20k - 30k vehicle*years of experience. So while it is certainly encouraging news to read of perhaps only one Model 3 fire it is too early to crown the Model 3 as a fire safety champ.

Especially with the completely incompetent quality control that was occurring.

The QC issues were with general assembly. The battery packs were assembled elsewhere and shipped to California for mating with the vehicle. As far as the service bulletins go, there has only been one "major" issue with the packs. The issue is that some of the cells weren't welded to their bonding wire properly, so the pack had less energy available. Not much risk in that error, but still should have been caught.

Don't forget Ford's ecoboost engines splitting and causing fires.

I would think only IF they show reduced driving range. If a 100% charge =310 miles +- a reasonable percentage then no, you would not get a replacement. And why would you want one?
My car is in the VIN group and came with a reduced range of about 1-2%. For me, not enough of a difference to request replacement even if offered unless battery aging is affected. For now I think I'll just keep on eye on the battery range outside of winter.

My car is in the VIN group and came with a reduced range of about 1-2%. For me, not enough of a difference to request replacement even if offered unless battery aging is affected. For now I think I'll just keep on eye on the battery range outside of winter.
I know we are getting of topic, but I would at least ask them to check it out given a 2% range loss.
My Sept 2018 build has been perfect in that regard.

range.PNG

Reactions: DrDabbles