Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Model 3 fires to date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is in the VIN group and came with a reduced range of about 1-2%. For me, not enough of a difference to request replacement even if offered unless battery aging is affected. For now I think I'll just keep on eye on the battery range outside of winter.

My car was built in that time period. They don't list the affected VINs. Does Tesla notify owners of this problem? How do I check if my car is affected?

If your vehicle came with a reduced range, which I'm not totally sure how you'd figure out, there could be some other problem. I suppose enough cells could be effected in these packs to notice a range loss, but I'd imagine the impact would be minimal because only a few cells aren't connected properly. But that's a wild guess based on absolutely nothing.

Either way, to @SageBrush and @Perry, you may want to consider contacting Tesla via a support chat or email from your account portal. Mention you've seen the TSB and you're curious if your VIN is part of the bulletin or not. They can likely log into your car and diagnose that remotely, so you probably wouldn't have to go into a shop to find out. If your pack is impacted by this bulletin, it shouldn't pose any risk to you, so you could schedule a pack replacement at your convenience. That way you can make sure they'll have a Tesla loaner for you, they'll have the parts kit in stock when you arrive, and they can just take the ~5h service time to get your car in top shape.

I don't think having your car manufactured in that timeframe means you're guaranteed to have the problem, but if you do getting on the list early rather than later might be worthwhile. Having a newer pack installed means you'll benefit from all of the improvements that have been made over the past few months, so that might be some added motivation. :)

There must have been Model 3 fires by now - there's no way at least a few employees on that product aren't doing a good job.
I'm assuming it was tested like they did with the powerpack

Tesla set fire to a Powerpack to test its safety features – the results are impressive

...but I guess this test was done by the National Fire Protection Association

We can clearly see that Tesla tried to mitigate the fire risk in the Model 3 battery design.

Good info but to be clear my message was a joke. ;)

Someone I work with just found this up for auction. Absolutely no idea what happened, but it looks like an interior fire at the least. Obviously can't tell the root cause from the picture, though. Full interior appears to be toast, the front quarter is too, and looking at the smoke ring around the repeater cameras it looks like the damage might have been pretty severe.

Bruffy's Tow on Twitter
VIN: 5YJ3E1EB2JF075395

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
Someone I work with just found this up for auction. Absolutely no idea what happened, but it looks like an interior fire at the least. Obviously can't tell the root cause from the picture, though. Full interior appears to be toast, the front quarter is too, and looking at the smoke ring around the repeater cameras it looks like the damage might have been pretty severe.

Bruffy's Tow on Twitter
I wonder if that was caught in the wildfires.

Bruffy's Tow on Twitter

Ouch! And a P3D+ no less!