Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No notification when charging is complete?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, not everyone ... Mine stubbornly refuses to fail, I'm still getting all notifications for start, & complete.

I'm almost starting to feel like I'm not getting the full Tesla experience, everything on my car works as I would expect, through multiple firmware versions it all just keeps working...

... sorry if that doesn't help fix it for anyone else, but just know that it does work fine for me at least so there is no reason why it cant work for others as well...
Sure... Posting the fact that your car is the typical plucky Brit that soldiers on no matter what. :D

This is the only "issue" that we've had with our Tesla experience. Definitely a "first world problem" if there ever was one. ;)

... sorry if that doesn't help fix it for anyone else, but just know that it does work fine for me at least so there is no reason why it cant work for others as well...

And this is one of the most frustrating aspects of owning a Tesla - the inconsistency. I also don’t get the charging complete notification at home, but everything else works - most of the time!

Last Friday (I think that was the day) I got a single charge completed notification. Then nothing.

I realized what I had done that morning: I had set the car to display Miles instead of percentage.

When I switched back to percentage, no charge completed notifications.

This is the only "issue" that we've had with our Tesla experience. Definitely a "first world problem" if there ever was one. ;)

But a first world problem is still a problem, no?

No charging complete notification last night, so much for setting up the app not to sleep. I'll try switching range to miles tonight, to see if that is a possible workaround to this first world problem.

I guess I should add that the reason I want to know when my charging is complete is that I drive about the same amount of miles every day, and if I know exactly how long it takes to recharge those miles at home, I can schedule my charge start time such that the car will finish charging right before I leave in the morning.
I know that once it starts it will give you an approximate time remaining if you look at the center screen, but it takes it awhile to stabilize and settle in. I know I could probably pay for teslafi and get the info from there somehow, but I don't want the extra battery drain and I don't want to pay for it at this point.

I guess I should add that the reason I want to know when my charging is complete is that I drive about the same amount of miles every day, and if I know exactly how long it takes to recharge those miles at home, I can schedule my charge start time such that the car will finish charging right before I leave in the morning.
I know that once it starts it will give you an approximate time remaining if you look at the center screen, but it takes it awhile to stabilize and settle in. I know I could probably pay for teslafi and get the info from there somehow, but I don't want the extra battery drain and I don't want to pay for it at this point.
Same here, plus the occasional SC stop. The "charging almost complete" notification is useful in my efforts to extricate my wife from whichever store she is shopping in. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Decibelle
So I got the charging complete this morning. I did two things which might have fixed it yesterday, one of which was a reboot while holding the brake pedal, then powering off the car. The other was switching the SoC from % to miles. I've rebooted before. But I do remember using miles initially when I got the car, and then switched over to % after a few weeks. That might be what's causing this. Anyone out there with this problem already displaying miles for the SoC?

So it sounds like we may have discovered the cause for this bug. If you're having this issue and its because of using % instead of miles, file a bug report and hopefully this will gain some traction and will get fixed.

Last edited:
I'm a percentage person. I do not get charging complete notifications at home. The setting is definitely enabled in my app. I never stick around superchargers long enough to find out whether or not I get a complete notification there.

This sounds like a great idea until one day your MCU freezes/crashes in the middle of the night and your 2am scheduled charging doesn’t start, leaving you with 22% SOC for your 35% commute.
True story. Now I have it scheduled to start charging at 10pm when I’m still awake.

... and we have a winner! :)

I got the charge started, but no charge complete message after changing to percentage.

And by changing mine back to miles I did get the "charging complete" notification. I much prefer having the % showing so have changed it back.

I also had another software update this morning, two in a week! I'm now on 2019.4.3 (AP2 MCU1). Release notes the same so bug fixes I guess. Will this be one of them - we will see tonight o_O

Thanks for the tip guys.
I have my car show % since I got it more than 2 years ago. In January 2019 the car suddenly stopped sending the "charging completed" to my phone.
Yesterday I set the car to show km and ran a quick charging test. Voilla, suddenly I got a notification once charging was completed. Setting the car back to % and doing another test, the post charging notification was gone again.

To be honest, I don't think this is a problem with the car's firmware but rather something with the mothership server.
I am still on v8.1 2018.36.2. Then, from one day to the other in January 2019 the notification stopped. No update was applied to the car, so the change must have happened somewhere else.
Most of you are on much newer firmware versions where, apparently the issue persists.

Also, I do still have a copy an older APP version around (from sometime in 2018) which also experiences the same issue.

So, I do not believe this being a problem with the APP version or car firmware.

Well, interestingly enough, yesterday for the first time in a long time:
3A4CD4F6-0586-4A9A-A797-C74C8B7A0228.jpeg

App: 3.8.1
M3: 50.6