Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No plans to introduce air suspension for Model 3 at this time per Elon

Do you care about Air Suspension?

• Yes, this is a deal breaker

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Yes, but I can live without it

Votes: 41 48.2%
  • Nope, there's barely a difference

Votes: 40 47.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Air suspension gives you options. You can lower for a better look, reduce tire gaps and increase range.
You can raise to go off road, on dirt roads, in deep snow and help you get up steep driveways.

Raising a bit can make getting in and out easier for the less spry.

Great if you are going to be towing or carrying heavy loads. Will keep the headlights pointed straight ahead.

You can lower your car for less sway on curvy roads.

The Tesla system has geo-fencing. It remembers the level you prefer in different areas. If you need to raise it to get over a driveway hump, it will remember and raise it for you automatically every time you go there.

I lower my X to make it easier to wash it's roof, then raise it back up for easier cleaning of the lower valance.

With steel springs, you are locked into what ever ride height no matter what. As time goes by, steel springs will tend to sag, often unevenly.

I never wanted air suspension (not enough performance for the track) but I do worry about lowering my car.

I drive to the mountains in fairly deep snow sometimes, have even bottomed out the car once (it was 4 feet of snow to be fair). Wonder how much dropping my P3D an inch will affect that.

Have it on my BMW. I ALWAYS leave it in Sport which puts it to the stiffest mode anyway. I don’t like the soft suspension and sloppy steering in Comfort mode.
Even if you leave it in sport, the computer is still adjusting the dampers - probably more than 40 times a second.

Give this PDF a read and you'll understand more about adaptive damping:

http://www.volkspage.net/technik/ssp/ssp/SSP_275_d1.pdf

-J