Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No PowerWall Notifications/Alerts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There isn't, except that you must have STORM WATCH toggled on in the app, as well as notifications on in the phone. I have both.

The NWS (National Weather Service), in cooperation with the Electric company, is what triggers Tesla's STORM WATCH mode. Tesla itself doesn't do it.

No, tesla triggers storm watch mode based on what you stated. Tesla triggers stormwatch due to alerts, not the other way around. I know this because there have been times when people have gotten alerts, and stormwatch still did not trigger. This is on tesla's side in relation to the alerts, not the other way around.

No, tesla triggers storm watch mode based on what you stated. Tesla triggers stormwatch due to alerts, not the other way around. I know this because there have been times when people have gotten alerts, and stormwatch still did not trigger. This is on tesla's side in relation to the alerts, not the other way around.

All I know is this is what Tesla told me. NWS/Power company>Triggers Tesla>Storm Watch on the app.

All I know is this is what Tesla told me. NWS/Power company>Triggers Tesla>Storm Watch on the app.

That is what happens, but thats not what you said before. NWS/ Power company alert > Tesla triggers stormwatach (or not). Tesla triggers stormwatch because of NWS alerts for specific areas, but it is incorrect to say "tesla doesnt do it". Tesla will trigger or not trigger an alert based on NWS data, so you cant call them and say "turn on stormwatch, my area has a warning". They will only do so for specific things, but TESLA triggers it or not.

Reactions: Tezzie
Back when version 1.49 came out, I noticed a change in the Storm Watch notifications. Previously, they were vague and just said Storm Watch had been activated. Then with v1.49 and app version 3.10.6, we started getting notifications which explained why Storm Watch had been activated (red flag warning, high winds, etc.)

September 2020

Version 1.49

Updated support for utility grid connections in Hawaii, Japan, Bahamas and Turks and Caicos

Tesla App Version 3.10.6

Improved push notifications for some system events, including behavior during power outage and Storm Watch

Released Solar Offset Performance Card for all Powerwall owners, previously available to solar owners

Reactions: Tezzie
That is what happens, but thats not what you said before. NWS/ Power company alert > Tesla triggers stormwatach (or not). Tesla triggers stormwatch because of NWS alerts for specific areas, but it is incorrect to say "tesla doesnt do it". Tesla will trigger or not trigger an alert based on NWS data, so you cant call them and say "turn on stormwatch, my area has a warning". They will only do so for specific things, but TESLA triggers it or not.

LOL what I meant is that Tesla doesn't just make up storm watch all by themselves. The take the info and put it into the app. Sometimes it gets messed up--Northern CA PW owners got put on storm watch instead of Southern CA.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I have the one notification ("Power Outage" under Energy) enabled in the app (Android), but I haven't ever gotten a notification. Right this instant we are in a power outage only because we saw a blurb on the news that said our area was without power. I guess the PowerWalls are working fine and we never noticed the cutover to them.

(I get plenty of notifications for my cars from the app).

I also never receive a notice. We lost power last night and this morning with no notifications. I knew we lost power last night because the light flickered and my pre-amp/amp shut down and turned back on. I then opened the app and it showed I was on backup.

I also never receive a notice. We lost power last night and this morning with no notifications. I knew we lost power last night because the light flickered and my pre-amp/amp shut down and turned back on. I then opened the app and it showed I was on backup.
Glad you were able to just continue doing things. Were you the only house on the block with lights?

We certainly were able to just continue doing things when the power went out the other day. It was really awesome.

I have a case opened with support on the missing notifications. I'm hoping that can fix this (but I have my doubts given how many people are complaining about it).

Meanwhile, I may roll my own status polling script to query /api/system_status/grid_status (based upon vloschiavo/powerwall2) once a minute to keep checking if it thinks the grid is up.

Glad you were able to just continue doing things. Were you the only house on the block with lights?
It was great- exactly the reason we did it since we get somewhat frequent short outages (in the northeast it seems to be a requirement to put trees around telephone poles and wires). No, I wasn't the only one- my neighbor across the street has solar/2 PWs and next door has a auto gen backup. But the outages were very short...