Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No Proximity Chimes in 2023 RWD (no FSD)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably due to lack of ultrasonic sensors. IMO, that's a huge shortcoming.
Yes, I think that's it. My understanding is that they are working on making this function with vision only, and they are waiting until they have that perfected before they bring back the warnings/visuals.

It's a big problem for my spatially challenged wife when she backs into the garage.

Does the 2023 RWD have a camera that can see below the front hood?

AFAIK it has the same # and placement of cameras as all previous versions of the car.

But it'd be trivial to use those for distance to object even once they move out of field of view as long as the car ever saw them- the car knows very precisely how far it moves from any given moment in time and in what direction.

• Funny
Reactions: Transformer
But it'd be trivial to use those for distance to object even once they move out of field of view as long as the car ever saw them- the car knows very precisely how far it moves from any given moment in time and in what direction.
Ha ha. And those tykes & trikes never move when below the car's field of vision.

Yes, I think that's it. My understanding is that they are working on making this function with vision only, and they are waiting until they have that perfected before they bring back the warnings/visuals.
Seems like another case where they removed some hardware before the software using other hardware could provide a reasonable approximation of the functionality. A previous example was the removal of the radar, where the early months of vision-only TACC and such had significant limitations and bugs.

Reactions: Durzel and RTPEV
If the objects previously seen do not move. Consider small children or small dogs.

If they added a nose camera, they could have a bird's eye view for parking, like some other cars have.

Reactions: RTPEV
If the objects previously seen do not move. Consider small children or small dogs.

If they added a nose camera, they could have a bird's eye view for parking, like some other cars have.

Sure, but that's been true since 2012, and they've shown 0 interest in adding something like that.

As to "things can move" while that's true, the range (and I don't mean distance, I mean field of view) of the ultrasonics is small enough that if an animal darted into the field of view of the front ultrasonics while you were moving it's unlikely your reaction time would be quick enough to do anything about it anyway.

Not to mention unless they're REALLY small you'd see them with your actual eyes (and the cameras would too) coming from either side of the vehicle before they reached the front below the hoodline.

The only situation where the "below the hoodline" bit is an actual problem for moving objects would be a situation where you come to the vehicle after it has been parked for some time, such that none of the cameras were on to "see" something approaching from the sides while the car was asleep, and the something laid down and stayed right in front of the car.... and the human approaching it also didn't notice them doing so.

And if the thing was small/close enough the ultrasonics might not have helped there either, they lose sight of things really low and close due to that field of view thing I mentioned.

Reactions: outdoors
Stuff like speed limitations for using Autopilot features and herky jerkiness in the TACC were complained about for a while, although less now after software upgrades since then.
I think the speed limitation as max of 75 vs 80 mph, right? And something like follow distance of 1 not allowed?

Seems like with this sensor disablement (USS) we're losing a lot more. I hope the update that re-enables summon, auto park and Park Assist features comes by end of year at least.

I think the speed limitation as max of 75 vs 80 mph, right? And something like follow distance of 1 not allowed?

Originally it was 75 vs 90 top speed and follow minimum of 3 vs 1... after a year it had gone up to 85 and follow min of 2... it's still not at parity 18 months from the original vision-only switchover.

As it which is a bigger deal- depends on the user. Many here say they never, ever, use self-park or smart summon at all (and you don't even GET those features without paying for them separately anyway)... whereas basic AP, which the speed and follow distances apply to, have been included free with every Tesla since early 2019.

Reactions: Durzel

Seems like with this sensor disablement (USS) we're losing a lot more. I hope the update that re-enables summon, auto park and Park Assist features comes by end of year at least.
But also, I noticed early in 2022 that TACC was not very smooth when approaching a slower vehicle, making it unpleasant to use. It would continue at the set speed until reaching the following distance, then suddenly slow to the slower vehicle's speed. After months of software updates, it now behaves more smoothly (slowing down more gradually when a slower vehicle is detected ahead). But that was probably at least a year after the radar was removed..

While some people may find that the features you list are a big deal, others never had or cared about them because they did not choose the option that includes them. But still, it would have been better if the software could do them without USS before USS was removed.

Reactions: Transformer
AFAIK it has the same # and placement of cameras as all previous versions of the car.

If it’s trivial they should have made it work first.

Assuming the car sees everything at all times is stupid. How many of us have gotten those “camera not working” errors??

Sure, but that's been true since 2012, and they've shown 0 interest in adding something like that.

As to "things can move" while that's true, the range (and I don't mean distance, I mean field of view) of the ultrasonics is small enough that if an animal darted into the field of view of the front ultrasonics while you were moving it's unlikely your reaction time would be quick enough to do anything about it anyway.

Not to mention unless they're REALLY small you'd see them with your actual eyes (and the cameras would too) coming from either side of the vehicle before they reached the front below the hoodline.

The only situation where the "below the hoodline" bit is an actual problem for moving objects would be a situation where you come to the vehicle after it has been parked for some time, such that none of the cameras were on to "see" something approaching from the sides while the car was asleep, and the something laid down and stayed right in front of the car.... and the human approaching it also didn't notice them doing so.

And if the thing was small/close enough the ultrasonics might not have helped there either, they lose sight of things really low and close due to that field of view thing I mentioned.
Yeah, I see people keep bringing that up, but ultrasonics are not designed for that application either. 99.9% of its use is likely just to give a warning when parking close to stationary objects. I still think a low camera in the front would be useful however.

Reactions: kx2top
Question: Do you still get the yellow/orange/red lines around the car in the display, along with distance measurements? My wife now uses a distance of 30" to the garbage cans at the front of the garage to know how far to pull the car in, and I frequently use the "STOP" indicator when backing into spots (particularly Supercharger stalls). I've found it to be quite accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.