Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

No text messages through the UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excuse me. I dont care what other cars do. You shouldn’t read texts while driving. If you pull over, then what’s the big deal to just use phone? If you want them read to you, use Siri or android equivalent. I see no good reason for Tesla to ever add this.
My last Chevy would give you the option for the car to read the message aloud if the car was moving but wouldn't display text till the vehicle stopped. Wouldn't let you input an address while moving even if the passenger seat was occupied.

Letting us input an address or search a song while driving is a LOT more dangerous than having the car read us a text.

I suspect this is a licensing issue, someone they don't want to pay. The software development has already been done by others and I really don't think it would be hard at all for Tesla, but bet it cuts into margins.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
But you can still do it thru the touchscreen, which GM locked out some features in motion. Now I think GM should have allowed it if the passenger seat was occupied but the point is locking address entry from the touchscreen while driving is safer than allowing it.

You can not make an intelligent argument that a car reading a text to you is more dangerous than letting you type an address in motion.

Wow, this is really surprising to me. It's a pretty basic feature that every other manufacturer offers.

It never ceases to amaze me that people fork over $60K for a car without knowing the most basic things about it. The time to find out whether the car had this feature was before you bought it, yes?

Anyhow, that's beside the point. People need to keep in mind that the end goal of the Model 3 is full self driving. Once you have full self driving, features that are supposed to assist the driver with non-driving tasks are immaterial, because there will be no driver. Thus, the following things are not a priority for Tesla:
  • Text messaging integration
  • CarPlay/AndroidAuto integration
  • Heads-up displays
  • Voice interaction
None of that is important, because if the car drives itself, then you can kick back and do all of that stuff on your phone, tablet, or laptop.

Other manufacturers place these things at a priority because they have no goal of removing the driver any time soon, thus driver interaction with non-driving tasks is important.

You can not make an intelligent argument that a car reading a text to you is more dangerous than letting you type an address in motion.

I more or less agree, but I love a challenge! :) In the below, I use “you” generally, not specifically. Typing an address requires your attention at a time of your choosing. Presumably you do that when it is safe, I hope. There is no emotion regarding the process. However, texting is known to be psychologically addictive. You feel compelled to read/hear your texts immediately on receipt, otherwise you might be missing something. You often feel compelled to reply immediately. And, you can have an immediate emotional response to a text you receive... all of which can be distracting... often at a time NOT of your choosing. So, depending upon how used, I can see car reading text being just as distracting or even more distracting than address entry.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVie'sDad
I more or less agree, but I love a challenge! :) In the below, I use “you” generally, not specifically. Typing an address requires your attention at a time of your choosing. Presumably you do that when it is safe, I hope. There is no emotion regarding the process. However, texting is known to be psychologically addictive. You feel compelled to read/hear your texts immediately on receipt, otherwise you might be missing something. You often feel compelled to reply immediately. And, you can have an immediate emotional response to a text you receive... all of which can be distracting... often at a time NOT of your choosing. So, depending upon how used, I can see car reading text being just as distracting or even more distracting than address entry.

I beg to differ. I'm addicted to typing in destination addresses. :D

The defense of Tesla not having texts display on the screen being "that it is distracting" is beyond precious. I don't care if the car does or doesn't, but this is a riot.

The car requires you to interact with a screen, which necessitates looking away from the road. For chrissakes, ever try to turn on rear seat warmers or the steering wheel warmer while driving??

The defense of Tesla not having texts display on the screen being "that it is distracting" is beyond precious. I don't care if the car does or doesn't, but this is a riot.

The car requires you to interact with a screen, which necessitates looking away from the road. For chrissakes, ever try to turn on rear seat warmers or the steering wheel warmer while driving??
Every single car made requires you to look away from the road to activate controls until you have memorized where they are. So Tesla’s are on a screen... there’s no difference. Be consistent.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Every single car made requires you to look away from the road to activate controls until you have memorized where they are. So Tesla’s are on a screen... there’s no difference. Be consistent.

I have to disagree with you here. A digital screen offers zero feedback and requires you to take your eyes off the road in order to locate a specific function, even when you learn the general area. I challenge you to intuitively press any function a long the bottom row of the screen without accidentally activating a separate function. Going back to my original complaint, there is nothing safer than having the option of having a text message read to you. Eyes stay on the road, hands stay on the wheel.

I have to disagree with you here. A digital screen offers zero feedback and requires you to take your eyes off the road in order to locate a specific function, even when you learn the general area. I challenge you to intuitively press any function a long the bottom row of the screen without accidentally activating a separate function. Going back to my original complaint, there is nothing safer than having the option of having a text message read to you. Eyes stay on the road, hands stay on the wheel.

You are using it wrong. A true Tesla driver can sense the electrical undulations in the touch screen without pausing to look down.

The car sometimes reads my mind as if to say, :"hey you driver.... you're awesome"
I say, "thanks tesla.... you're awesome too."

Also autopilot allows me to "hey siri" the crap out of everything without need for some crappy 1994 ms dos equivalent software.

Reactions: R.S
Except of course that my wife can turn her steering wheel heat on with her thumb on the steering wheel in her Audi, and the passengers in the backseat can control their own climate system/seat warmers.

So other than other cars being completely different and incorporating features to reduce distraction, you make a great "consistent" point.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
I’d be surprised if anyone actually operates ANY car’s central controls without looking. Exception being steering wheel controls (more later). However, duration of the glance decreases as you get familiar with the car. And I agree that a physical button may shorten that glance (vs screen) because you can tell by feel that you pressed it. However, I personally find rows of identical buttons with poorly lit symbols sometimes make me double check, whereas screen may be more obvious.

Steering wheel and stalk controls are an exception. One can usually memorize... but it’s a slippery slope. The VW I just unloaded had so many that they became confusing.

Solving the human/car interface challenge is difficult and there’s a long history of semi-successful efforts. Remember early reception to BMW IDrive?

Personally, I appreciate both the upsides and downsides of the approach in the 3. I believe the combination of screen, voice, and context sensitive trackballs may turn out to be a great solution if Tesla continues to hone the software. Downside being that each software change will require drivers to relearn something. And, as is obvious from this forum, there are some stuck in Athens’ golden age who despise new things and have trouble with change.

Regardless... as usual, Tesla is pushing the envelope by taking a novel approach. And, like it or not, I suspect it will have a big impact on auto controls going forward.

Reactions: mblakele
You are using it wrong. A true Tesla driver can sense the electrical undulations in the touch screen without pausing to look down.

The car sometimes reads my mind as if to say, :"hey you driver.... you're awesome"
I say, "thanks tesla.... you're awesome too."

Also autopilot allows me to "hey siri" the crap out of everything without need for some crappy 1994 ms dos equivalent software.

I agree with butter shrimp here. Better use Siri, or whatever your phone has, then letting Tesla come up with their own solution. Just look at the media player...

Except of course that my wife can turn her steering wheel heat on with her thumb on the steering wheel in her Audi, and the passengers in the backseat can control their own climate system/seat warmers.

So other than other cars being completely different and incorporating features to reduce distraction, you make a great "consistent" point.

The seat warmer trick with the thumb sounds nice. Audi seems to make some of the better non-EV cars for now. I still think it's kind of crazy how my car keeps surprising me with new presents... got maps yesterday. Soon there will be a new firmware version. Pretty amazing how my car is hub like... opening my garage by connecting to my car, climate control. trunk control, the list goes on and on. The flip side is bugs of course.... but the fact that I can hit "bug report" on the steering wheel and say, "my mcu needed a f***ing reboot man!" and the think literally transcribes the sentence with censored curse words is pretty sweet. Makes having a bug tolerable. If it were happening in one of my previous ICE vehicles, I'd lose my mind.

We are some spoiled folks for sure.