Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NOA issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, yesterday while driving the car while trying to merge onto a highway from an on ramp the screens showed that it wanted to get into the traffic, I used the turn signal, it started to move out into the lane and near the last moment swerved me back (OFF) in a manner incompatible with staying on the road. I saved the car, scared my spouse, and don't fully trust things yet. Did this likely auto report?

Video:

Just after 25 seconds you see the start into highway, then swerve back off.

I am going to go with victim of circumstance here... There are a few things there that didn't help the situation...

1. Merge lane had pretty sharp angle.
2. Merge lane wasn't long enough(in time) for NOA to go through its decision making process.
3. Poor lane markings

Edit: and while I do completely understand your taking over when you did, I think it would have swerved(followed the right hand lane line) in the end...well as long as it didn't mis-read the dashed line as a solid line there.

Reactions: wenkan
Hello, yesterday while driving the car while trying to merge onto a highway from an on ramp the screens showed that it wanted to get into the traffic, I used the turn signal, it started to move out into the lane and near the last moment swerved me back (OFF) in a manner incompatible with staying on the road. I saved the car, scared my spouse, and don't fully trust things yet. Did this likely auto report?

Video:

Just after 25 seconds you see the start into highway, then swerve back off.

As soon as you got to those markings that appeared all the sudden at the end you were doomed. My hardware v2.5 is easily overwhelmed if the unexpected happens.

Now if those marks had been the entire length of the merge point, it's 98% certain it would have merged correctly.

It did not frighten me, I was prepared.
Next time on the road it was better and smoother.
The third time it was seamless.
The car got better at that on ramp, not sure if it was by learning or coincidence.
The next time was a little bit of a step back.

It did not frighten me, I was prepared.
Next time on the road it was better and smoother.
The third time it was seamless.
The car got better at that on ramp, not sure if it was by learning or coincidence.
The next time was a little bit of a step back.

the car does not "learn" like that.

Behavior is only updated when the software is updated by Tesla.

Here's another example. The arrows that NoA is apparently so skittish of perhaps played a role here too. NoA really does not appear to like to change lanes when there is any merging going on, regardless of whether the merge is relevant to the maneuver being attempted. It seems quite dumb, TBH.

This particular instance of course freaked my wife out. It surprised me too - did not expect an abort at all. Obviously it was going to veer back into the original lane - all would have been well, but I took over at that point and completed the lane change, with no further drama, like a properly functioning human being.

Unlike the instances of "phantom braking" I have experienced, this actually was fairly alarming. Swerving suddenly at 75mph really isn't all that great a feeling. I kind of wonder whether EAP will ever be any good.

2019.28.3.1, HW2.5, NoA with Unconfirmed Lane Change Disabled.

I'll keep trying it. My wife always says "I really wish you would just drive." The clock is ticking.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier