Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise from A/C Compressor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have what I believe to be a pulley or belt to do with the A/C issue whereby it is creating quite a loud noise. It is booked in with Tesla but not until a couple of weeks time for the first appointment. It seems to be noisy when I come to a stop and disappears if I turn the A/C off. Fan speed doesn’t seem to make a difference. Has anyone had this with their model 3 previously please?

Hi, I have what I believe to be a pulley or belt to do with the A/C issue whereby it is creating quite a loud noise. It is booked in with Tesla but not until a couple of weeks time for the first appointment. It seems to be noisy when I come to a stop and disappears if I turn the A/C off. Fan speed doesn’t seem to make a difference. Has anyone had this with their model 3 previously please?
It’s booked in with Tesla now - I think it may be the compressor as I only hear it with the A/C on.

There isn't a pulley or belt, it's driven directly by an electric motor. Try turning the temperature right to maximum with a high fan speed. If it gets much worse it's most likely the compressor. If not it may just be a radiator fan bearing.
If it only happens when stopped you may be right. If it was the compressor tnen it would happen all the time when the ac is on. If its a fan on the condensor then makes sense it would only be if AC is on and car is stationary.

Reactions: jpm777
If it only happens when stopped you may be right. If it was the compressor tnen it would happen all the time when the ac is on. If its a fan on the condensor then makes sense it would only be if AC is on and car is stationary.
The compressor noise doesn't sound that bad in vid. Even if it's on it's way out it probably wouldn't sound too bad when under low load. What I was suggesting about turning to max heat would force it ramp up the compressor speed to max and the high revs would create substantially more noise. For the first 10 secs or so the fan may not even kick in. It would be immediately apparent where the noise was coming from.

Sorry if I was a bit unclear about what I was driving at.😏

Last edited:
@jpm777 if you haven’t already, check for debris around the inlet vents. It doesn’t sound like it, but you might have something such as a dry leaf or small stick ingested on inlet that has got itself stuck and is rubbing against a fan etc.

Some environments will be more likely than others but eg where I live I would certainly be checking for leaves and pine needles.

Easy enough to do a first pass check eg remove the wide grill at back of front boot between hold area and windscreen and see if likelihood of any debris at bottom of vent. It’s a few plastic clips holding it that easily (if correctly aligned) pop back into place.

Good morning, thought I’d give an update and thank everyone who commented with ideas. Thank you! 😊
The noise was thought to be the compressor fan by Tesla but upon dismantling to change it they found a small stone that had become trapped around the fan causing the noise. Stone removed, system test on max cooling and max heating completed and it was handed back to me. Thanks again for the help.