Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noise from standstill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious if someone else might have had to make this choice. My recently purchased 2013 MS with 35K, makes a single clunk/thump when the accelerator is pressed from a standstill position. It sounds like something is being engaged if I had to explain the sound. Doesn't make this noise whatsoever while pressed for more power while driving the car high or crawl speed once the car is moving. This happens whether the accelerator is pushed quickly or slowly. I have MCU2 upgrade scheduled later this month and was going to see if SC can lubricate the halfshafts. Reading online someone mentioned that lubricating the halfshafts has resolved this sound from a standstill position. SC gave me a quote for $225 for diagnosis or $225 for lubricating all halfshafts hubs. Just not sure what option to take at this moment. Part of me is saying go with lubricating all halfshafts hubs and hope that was it. Was hoping to hear back from others that might had to make this choice on similiar concern. Thanks in advance.

I've read on some threads this so-called brake hold would make a noise. Is there some way for me to confirm that it might be a brake hold, by doing some diagnostics on my own? This is my first Tesla, just trying to make sure to make the right decision and not expose myself to unnecessary expenditure at SC. I'll try to record the sound I'm hearing to post it here and hope someone will recognize the sound. As mentioned, there isn't this sound or any other sounds come from the rear of the car at any speed once in motion.

I have a mid-2016 MS90D. If the car was parked overnight and it's been in a high moisture environment, like raining or you took it through a car wash, then the brake pads can seize to the rotors and there can be a loud clunk/thunk when you first go to move. However, once that very first movement happens and the brakes break free, you won't hear that on any subsequent stops.

Regarding brake hold, I have never perceived or heard any form of thunk/clunk when brake hold disengages after a stop. I use brake hold at almost every single stop (on of the features I've really come to like) and can't recall ever having heard/felt anything when it disengages.

My very first reaction when I starting reading your original post was half shaft issue. That's common on older cars, especially if it's been launched aggressively a lot, putting lot of stress on the splines. I'm not sure I'd expect lubricating them would make a bunch of difference if they are worn such there's actually some loose clearance/wear in the splines which results in the thunk when that's closed up under first application of torque from stop. I'm not saying lubrication won't fix it, just I'd have been more inclined in this situation to expect that half-shafts may need to be replaced.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck with your decision.

I've read on some threads this so-called brake hold would make a noise. Is there some way for me to confirm that it might be a brake hold, by doing some diagnostics on my own? This is my first Tesla, just trying to make sure to make the right decision and not expose myself to unnecessary expenditure at SC. I'll try to record the sound I'm hearing to post it here and hope someone will recognize the sound. As mentioned, there isn't this sound or any other sounds come from the rear of the car at any speed once in motion.
Brake hold happens when you are fully stopped, so you don’t need to keep your foot on the brakes (To allow for one pedal driving).

To check if you have brake hold on, drive on a street and come to a full stop. Lift your foot off the brake, if the car doesn’t roll, the brake hold is on. When you then press the accelerator, there is a temp click as the brake hold is released.

Here is a video of the clunking noise that I recorded this morning. You can hear the noise as I begin to pull out of the garage a few seconds into the videeo.

Appreciate any feedback from folks who may have an idea on what clunk/clicking noise.

My thinking was the same since the noise happens after some few seconds of the movement. So if it doesn't seem like a halfshaft issue or a break stop from the sound and delay, that leaves the LDU issue. I knew going in with the purchase that I most likely will be looking at possible LDU issue, but was hoping it would be awhile. If it is an LDU issue, is it critical to fix it right away or can I budget some more with a delay.

Thanks everyone so far for all the inputs, if it's the parking brake related, would that still come into play, when coming to full stop at traffic light and then pressing the accelerator and noise happens. Isn't this just a normal brake being engaged and the parking brake isn't being engaged? Not sure how it all works but wanted clarification to my thinking. Again appriciate all the inputs!

Since the Hold feature can only be had on cars with the Permanent Magnet in the front, I do not think the Hold uses the brake. It uses the Permanent Magnet Motor. The owner's manual even says it may not hold on steep inclines, which would not be true it the brake was engaged.

Since the Hold feature can only be had on cars with the Permanent Magnet in the front, I do not think the Hold uses the brake. It uses the Permanent Magnet Motor. The owner's manual even says it may not hold on steep inclines, which would not be true it the brake was engaged.
If I recall correctly, I think Tesla released a “hill hold” for earlier cars that’s enabled by pressing the brake down firmly then letting up. It’s uses the parking brake.

Reactions: DerbyDave
I have had the car for about 2 weeks and I don’t believe I’ve never engaged the hold brake because I just been holding my foot on the brakes until I need to go, meaning I’ve never seen the brake hold icon light up on the main small display.

Pre-AP1 cars don't get full hill hold. They'll get a momentary hold of the brake after a full depress if on an actual hill, for about 1 second, and that's it. No indicator. Everything AP1 and newer (Q4'14+) gets full hill hold.

Again, if it's every load shift it could be the shafts/hubs/CVs.

If it's not, then it's likely brake related.