Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob question...Solar intermittently stops production every 5-10 minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE

Summary of issue: Off grid test, temps in 40’s F, TEG kept frequencies high, not allowing solar to come on, or kept shutting down solar every few minutes.

Tesla’s response was “batteries too cold” but that did not really explain what was happening in a way that facilitated my full understanding of the situation.

This is what I think was happening: I think the batteries were not warm enough to take in all the power generated, also the house was not using the excess power so too much power was being created and it had no where to go.

I sort of pieced this together from other posts. Someone else (don’t remember username) had a similar issue and ended up learning that they could turn on a bunch of electric appliances so the excess power generated would have somewhere to go. If you can use the excess power that is coming from solar that the batteries can not handle, you can keep the inverter on.

Basically, the batteries were warm enough to receive some power, but not all the power that was being generated. The home wasn’t using much, so solar was shut down.

What the other user did was turn on a bunch of appliances to use the extra power being generated (the balance of generation less what the batteries could take.) Then start turning appliances off to find the right amount of usage to have solar on, some power going to appliances and some going to the PWs to charge them.

Said another way, if solar is generating 10, PWs can take only 5, you need to use up the other 5, otherwise the TEG will increase frequency and shut down the inverter.

Good luck folks!

UPDATE

Summary of issue: Off grid test, temps in 40’s F, TEG kept frequencies high, not allowing solar to come on, or kept shutting down solar every few minutes.

Tesla’s response was “batteries too cold” but that did not really explain what was happening in a way that facilitated my full understanding of the situation.

This is what I think was happening: I think the batteries were not warm enough to take in all the power generated, also the house was not using the excess power so too much power was being created and it had no where to go.

I sort of pieced this together from other posts. Someone else (don’t remember username) had a similar issue and ended up learning that they could turn on a bunch of electric appliances so the excess power generated would have somewhere to go. If you can use the excess power that is coming from solar that the batteries can not handle, you can keep the inverter on.

Basically, the batteries were warm enough to receive some power, but not all the power that was being generated. The home wasn’t using much, so solar was shut down.

What the other user did was turn on a bunch of appliances to use the extra power being generated (the balance of generation less what the batteries could take.) Then start turning appliances off to find the right amount of usage to have solar on, some power going to appliances and some going to the PWs to charge them.

Said another way, if solar is generating 10, PWs can take only 5, you need to use up the other 5, otherwise the TEG will increase frequency and shut down the inverter.

Good luck folks!
I assume this is only if power is out. The other 5 should go back to the grid?