Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Noob Questions about the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried to post this on reddit, was immediately blocked. Not sure why. Hope you guys can help.

I have had my MYLR for exactly 1 week (minus 30 minutes). I have a bit of a noob question. I was under the impression that there was a way to set it up so that as I approach the car, it would unlock. Is this true? Right now, I am finding myself having to fumble with my phone, unlock the phone, then pull down the notification, then click unlock. First world problem, I know, but its a lot of extra steps than being able to press the "bloop bloop" button on a keyfob. I know they sell a fob, but I would rather not have to spend that much money for something that I think should work from the phone.

Sometimes, the car doesn't seem to pick up that its my phone in the car, and so it doesn't select my profile (literally the only profile), and tries to murder me by moving the seat up. I am not a tiny person, I am an American sized person. I bought an American sized car for an American sized person. I just want it to leave the seat alone and not move it. It's really frustrating. Is there a way I can get it to just leave the seat alone?

Tried to post this on reddit, was immediately blocked. Not sure why. Hope you guys can help.

I have had my MYLR for exactly 1 week (minus 30 minutes). I have a bit of a noob question. I was under the impression that there was a way to set it up so that as I approach the car, it would unlock. Is this true? Right now, I am finding myself having to fumble with my phone, unlock the phone, then pull down the notification, then click unlock. First world problem, I know, but its a lot of extra steps than being able to press the "bloop bloop" button on a keyfob. I know they sell a fob, but I would rather not have to spend that much money for something that I think should work from the phone.

Sometimes, the car doesn't seem to pick up that its my phone in the car, and so it doesn't select my profile (literally the only profile), and tries to murder me by moving the seat up. I am not a tiny person, I am an American sized person. I bought an American sized car for an American sized person. I just want it to leave the seat alone and not move it. It's really frustrating. Is there a way I can get it to just leave the seat alone?
Click the gear icon on driver profile settings. If you have easy entry selected perhaps that is why it will move up. Option 1: unselect easy entry. Option 2: adjust easy entry so seat moves back, steering wheel moves in and up etc.

@jdkc4d It seems that the Bluetooth was not enabled on your phone.

Otherwise when approaching your car,the car should unlock and let you open
all the doors and the trunk, unless the 'unlock only the driver door' is set.

Note: If your car have been in a Sleep mode for a long time, there will be a delay
between when you try to open the door and the door to be unlocked

You should in fact hear a big 'Dong' indicating that the relay isolating
the High Voltage battery has been activated, and then the car should unlock.

The delay may be seem to be annoying but to have the car sleeping is important to save battery energy.
However, some components like the car alarm or the Cellular and Bluethooth stay also in stand by.

Last edited:
@jdkc4d About the seat moving, the car uses the profile associated with the Phone or the Card you used to open the car.
Check all the Profiles and Security settings. There is a separate menu for each. Use the car display to set those.

If the car uses the wrong profile to move the seat, you can immediatly change or stop it
- selecting the correct Profile on to of the display screen, or
- by touching any of the adjustement buttons on the bottom left side of the driver seat.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
Hey, awesome video. I watched through the whole thing and was like, I am pretty sure I did this when I was at the dealer, setting the phone up as the key. So I walked outside, and stood next to the driver's door, just waiting for it to unlock and nothing happened. So I take my phone out, frustrated, and as I am about to unlock my phone, the idea pops into my head that maybe I should actually try the door...it was unlocked. lol. I guess I was expecting the same behavior as when you press unlock in the app where it honks and the mirrors unfold.

Reactions: everydaychris
Hey, awesome video. I watched through the whole thing and was like, I am pretty sure I did this when I was at the dealer, setting the phone up as the key. So I walked outside, and stood next to the driver's door, just waiting for it to unlock and nothing happened. So I take my phone out, frustrated, and as I am about to unlock my phone, the idea pops into my head that maybe I should actually try the door...it was unlocked. lol. I guess I was expecting the same behavior as when you press unlock in the app where it honks and the mirrors unfold.
haha thanks man! Once you get the hang out of it it's easy!