Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why doesn't my car adjust the seat when I approach the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should be able to figure this out but maybe I'm too old. I'm embarrassed to have to ask, but here goes.

My wife is short and I am tall. After she has driven the car I almost break my legs attempting to get in. It doesn't sense when I approach the car that the seats need to be adjusted to my profile. What am I missing here? I thought it would recognize my phone and adjust to my profile's settings.

It should adjust when you open the door if you have a profile linked to your phone key.

It doesn’t adjust on approach because imagine if it’s in your garage and both you and your wife are walking near the car all day. It would constantly keep adjusting the seat back and forth.

Upvote 0
Mine doesn’t change until the foot brake is pressed. I am tall, my wife short so we both use Easy Entry on our profiles, means I can actually get in to the drivers seat!
Yep, Easy Entry is the way to go then the settings change when you start the car (press the brake pedal). As a side note, that's just about the only time I have to use that pedal.

Upvote 0
So I have to press the brake pedal before the seat adjusts? That kinda sucks.

After she has been driving, the seat is so far forward I can't even get my leg in there to touch the brake pedal.

But I guess you guys are saying if we both have Easy Entry selected there is no problem getting in because the seats are always all the way back?

Upvote 0
So I have to press the brake pedal before the seats adjust? That kinda sucks

No, you dont. You have to link the phone to the correct keys, and also make sure that whomever is riding in the passenger seat doesnt open the passenger door before the driver opens the drivers door (with their key linked to their profile).

Upvote 0
Mine starts adjusting when it unlocks(or maybe when I open the door?) as I approach, if my wife is not nearby. If she or my son are around, they always win the seat battle. Never have to hit the brake pedal.

None of us have ever used any priority settings. I'm just last in the list, it's an ongoing family joke.

Upvote 0
This sounds great. But I am confused when you say "link the phone to the correct keys". I thought the phone was my key.
You have to link the desired profile to the phone key.

IMG_4144.jpeg

Upvote 0
This sounds great. But I am confused when you say "link the phone to the correct keys". I thought the phone was my key.
The car is supposed to do the following:

1) Once you drive and put in park (say your wife) --> the care will go to "Easy Entry" mode and move the seats to this mode (i.e., easy in and out)
2) Upon next drive, no matter who enters car, it stays in easy entry mode
3) Once YOU put the car to Drive, it will move your car seat position to YOUR driving position.

Upvote 0
I have same issue. If the seat is set to my 5’ 4” wife I can’t get 6’ 1” body into the car. With easy entry set to both profiles it works well. If I take my wife’s phone by mistake the seat Moves forward and steering wheel moves into my belly. Then I’m stuck. ;)

With my Nissan Leafs before getting into the car I always needed to ove the seat back before getting into the car.

Upvote 0
Yes, with mine and my wife's profiles linked to our phones properly, the seat adjusts as soon as the door is opened based on who's getting in. If for some reason she's near me and the car thinks she's about to drive, the seat goes to 5'3" mode and crushes me if the timing is right. :)
Setting your key to priority will reduce the chance that your wife's profile being selected if you both approach car at the same time - assuming you do most of the driving when both are in the car.

Upvote 0
There could be another reason too, if you set your car to NOT autolock at home. I think the car will only adjust the seat if you press the door handle when the door is locked and the car detected your phone key. If you press the door handle when the car is unlocked, then you are just opening the door without the need of a key. It doesn't connect to the phone key until you press the brake paddle then the car knows to connect to the phone key because you want to drive it.

Upvote 0
I wanted to thank everyone for the ideas. I was able to link our phone keys to our profiles and also setup Easy Entry. Now when we unbuckle the seat belt after driving it immediately enters Easy Entry (which is set to be roomy enough for me to get in and out)

When either my wife or I enter the car we simply press the brake pedal and it switches from Easy Entry to the driver's profile, with the appropriate settings.

I love it.

Upvote 0
I wanted to thank everyone for the ideas. I was able to link our phone keys to our profiles and also setup Easy Entry. Now when we unbuckle the seat belt after driving it immediately enters Easy Entry (which is set to be roomy enough for me to get in and out)

When either my wife or I enter the car we simply press the brake pedal and it switches from Easy Entry to the driver's profile, with the appropriate settings.

I love it.
I'm tempted to try this on our Model Y. On our older Model S cars this linking profiles to fobs was a mess and never worked right. It almost always switched to my wife's profile as I was getting in and cramming me against the steering wheel. I am a bit concerned about the constant relocating of the seat and it's wear and tear on the motors long-term but it may be worth it in the short term in the way of improved user experience every time.

Upvote 0
I'm tempted to try this on our Model Y. On our older Model S cars this linking profiles to fobs was a mess and never worked right. It almost always switched to my wife's profile as I was getting in and cramming me against the steering wheel. I am a bit concerned about the constant relocating of the seat and it's wear and tear on the motors long-term but it may be worth it in the short term in the way of improved user experience every time.

My wife has easy entry on, on her profile, and I dont, on mine. Like a lot of other people my wife and I are pretty different in height. She is 5' 6 and I am 6' 3. My driving seat position is not very different than the easy entry position we have setup for her.

Anyway, I have found that linking the keys to the profile works well, with the caveat that I said previously. We both have our phones setup as keys, and in order for it to work properly "most" of the time (like high 90%), the person who is going to drive the car should open the drivers door, before the other person opens the passenger door. We keep the car locked in the garage though, and I am not sure if this is related to that.

It will still "mostly" work if the passenger opens the car door (unlock the car) first, but it seems to reliably work if the driver opens the car door first.

The workflow that we sort of unconsciously developed is, because we have a home alarm system we set when we go out, the person who is driving goes to the garage to get in the car, and the other person turns on the home alarm, then comes to the garage and gets in the car. This slight lag time (turning on the alarm) is enough for the person driving to naturally get out to the garage and open the door without rushing, or waiting.

When we go out to dinner or something, and go out to the car to go home, its a bit less reliable and I think thats because I still open the passenger car door for her when we go out.

Anyway, TL ; DR , I think it works pretty good, I dont think easy entry is a requirement (although it helps if you are different heights so the car isnt on the shorter persons height), and having the driver be present, on the drivers side of the car and opening the locked door before the passenger with their own phone key opens the passenger door seems to matter, but thats anecdotal.

Upvote 0